Helmet Falls is 300m waterfall tall and one of the highest in Canada! The trail then enters the old 2003 burn sector, where new plants and trees The trail then descends into a sparse forest adjacent alpine tarns, before the roughly 200-m climb up Rockwall Pass begins. If you want to Between Numa Creek and Tumbling Pass we saw a mother grizzly and two cubs at the creek about halfway up, once you leave the trees from Numa Creek. See the trail on google maps and google earth. To put it in short: start at the Paint Pots and finish at the Floe Lake Trailhead! Join over 100.000 monthly readers and get my posts delivered straight to your inbox! Located in the Kootenay National Park The Rockwall trail is 55 km long and considered one of the most iconic multi-day hikes in the Western Rockies. Length: 15km (+2km roundtrip to the base of the falls from campsite). After we got to camp we ate dinner and went straight up to the falls, they’re wonderful! Explore the best trails in Rockwall, Texas on TrailLink. it's a terrific thru-hike. Trail conditions and weather were perfect (Aug 3-6). Please exercise caution. It rained quite a bit and snowed at the higher elevations. Contact Us - Call or email us prior to your bond hearing for your Pre-Trial Monitoring needs Documentation - Request an acceptance letter from our company to present to the court at the bail hearing Present - Present the court with the acceptance letter and request pretrial release on an ankle monitor Don't let defendants sit in jail. to Numa Creek. Day 2: Helmet Falls to Tumbling creek Before us lies a huge area of meadows that follow the Rockwall south. With more than 109 Rockwall trails covering 469 miles, you’re bound to find a perfect trail like the Little Bear Creek Linear Park or Big Bear Creek Greenbelt. This was a hike that had been on my radar for quite a few years. Take the short walk off trail up to view the pass, it’s pretty! The Rockwall Trail in British Columbia’s Kootenay National Park is widely considered to be one of the premier multiday treks found anywhere. After the second water fall it’s a little steeper uphill but not bad! Gorgeous hike! The destruction of the blaze is doing wonders for the ecology in the Just came out from Paint Pots after hiking the whole trail in 3 days/2 nights. For the entire length of this epic trail, the scenery is incredible from beginning, to end. It got super windy and cold and we didn’t stay up there long. The climb out of Numa is nicer, more gradual than Tumbling but it's a long, long grind. The Rockwall Trail. 1-877-RESERVE (1-877-737-3783). 4th day Numa to Floe. Long grind down to highway, nothing spectacular, but interesting to note all the downed logs in the creek. The descent is over quite the distance so not grinding on the knees. The trail is regarded as one of the premier hiking spots in North America, drawing in many visitors each year. There is definitely some tree fall from Numa to Floe but it’s manageable. Definitely do this hike late August or September to get all the colours! But awesome! I used a 48L pack and hiked with 2 others. The trail includes several waterfalls, numerous creeks, many glaciers, alpine lakes and of course the famous Rockwall itself. Absolutely fantastic trip, the views were incredible. Traversing three alpine passes, lush forests, lunar scree slopes and heavenly wildflower meadows, the 55-kilometre Rockwall Trail in the Kootenay Valley is a Rockies hiking gem. It’s just a long time to be hiking, and ascending/descending 3 passes in one day was pretty tough, but I did it. October. find me hiking somewhere in the mountains. I'm going to convince you otherwise. Come celebrate the park’s centennial! 4 days 3 nights starting at paint pots trailhead Aug 22 to Aug 25 2020. Upon gaining the forested col, the trail … nourishing new life will be impossible for bears and other wildlife to ignore. Make sure you have comfy boots is all I would say! I had even considered doing the Rockwall instead of Skoki a few years back as a group hike. please for the love of god book your campsites. This 54.0 km trail is one of the most popular backpacks in the Canadian Rockies, and for good reason, it’s stunning. After reading the reviews, I was very concerned about my level of fitness for this trail. backpack should be a little lighter than at the start. addition if you're feeling adventurous. I would just like to respond to Queenie's post about having a backcountry permit and reservation, and not finding a tent pad. Found the climb out of helmut falls to be easiest of the 4 passes i did. The cost is 9.80$ per person per night plus an 11.70$ reservation fee. We had a grizzly sighting, gorgeous weather, and unmatched views of Rockwall. First day 15km pretty boring but also fairly level grade so you can blow through it pretty easily. The Rockwall Trail is a 55km (34 mile) trek through the backcountry of Kootenay National Park. Due to the elevation changes between campsites, the Rockwall Trail is one of the harder multi-day hikes in the Canadian Rockies. previous day. around 3 pm, 40 min before Numa camp ground. Day 1: paint pots to Helmet Falls The distance between the trailheads is 13km (8mi) or a 10 minute drive. It took me less than a minute to find a ride! In every other guide I've come across it's been said you should go South to North , starting at the Floe lake trailhead and finishing at the Point Pots. The First Nations communities in the area baked and dried ochre so it could be used as a paint for clothes, spiritual ceremonies and tipis (teepees). Backpacking in Kootenay National Park. The Rockwall is a 36.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. As there's no higher foliage, on a sunny day, there's absolutely no shade. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. i wouldn't skimp on sleep gear if you sleep cold, bring that heavier top or whatever. I am Marta Kulesza - the photographer and creator of, I come from Poland, but I've been living, travelling and working around the globe since. The Rockwall Trail is a 55 km (34 mile) superlative-laden feast, traversing three alpine passes through subalpine meadows and past impressive hanging glaciers. The biggest piece of advice I can give you I met the black bear face to face in 5~6m. Great waterfall view and nice sprawling tent pads with the river nice and close. In addition to the obviously majestic alpine scenery this massive limestone wall provides, the trail is also punctuated with hanging glaciers, stunning wildf… Stayed at Numa campsite and the final approach going in be warned, is never ending. Not impressed that i was there. Also used a -12 sleeping bag and R3.8 mattress. The Rock”WALL” gets its name from the continuous, unbroken mountain rock-face which extends along the majority of the trail. Actually shared camp w/ large doe hanging around eating area. *GPS Maps taken from trailpeak.com . After steep decent, trail go in to the bush. i know for sure there were at least 4 open tent pads at Tumbling and i think there were at least 2 or 3 at Floe despite the reservations system saying it was full. How long does it take to hike the Rockwall Trail: Most people hike the trail in 4 or 5 days, but 3 day trips are also common. Day 3: Tumbling creek to Numa creek 20km with 3 peaks and 3 descents which was a little killer on the knees. Not a difficult trek at all. View detailed trail descriptions, trail maps, reviews, photos, trail itineraries, directions and more on TrailLink. Weather was beautiful, except for the smoke. The trail is increasingly popular with trail runners, who blitz the whole route in one long day. NOTE: I would STRONGLY recommend doing this trail travelling from Floe Lake north to the rockwall as you get easier sections of hiking and not as many difficult pass ascents in a day. Some hikers reserve three nights and skip Tumbling Creek or Numa Creek, but that makes for a long, tough day. I had the camp site to myself, despite one other booking in system. Kicked it again and then spit me out. Once out of the trees you cross over rocks and many creeks/ waterfalls, then down into the overgrown bushes where you can’t see around the corner! There is an incredible cooking area on a peninsula surrounded by rock beaches and the lake. i thought this was going to be a waste of a day given how short it was but turned out to be good idea after long 2nd day. If however you have less time continue toward the Tumbling Pass, the second of the three major passes on the Rockwall trail, from where you Trail conditions in Kootenay were good, few down trees, some short (15 steps) sections of snow and some mud and of course occasional downed tree. 2 nights 3 days from Paint Pots, out via Floe Lake. until the middle of May or the Kootenay Visitor Centre (+1-250-347-9505) from the middle of May until the start of Once you enter the forest that's it for views, apart from a few old avalanche paths, until you get to the Helmet Falls Campground. The Rockwall Trail, located in British Columbia, Canada, is nestled within the Canadian Rockies, and is a hiking wonderland full of glaciers, meadows, forests, waterfalls and alpine passes. Once at the top you get the entire view of the Rockwall and The Valley you’re about to venture towards! The Rockwall Trail is a great trip and may I suggest to your readers if they come North for this hike to stay a while and explore some other equal or better trails in Kootenay, Banff, Yoho or Jasper national parks or Assinaboine (and other Provincial parks). The trail itself is well maintained and there isn’t a lot of technicality to it. Definitely would do again. It snowed quite a bit at this camp! The Rockwall Trail is located in Kootenay National Park, one part of the Canadian Rockies UNESCO World Heritage Site. P.S. The Rockwall Trail is an epic backpack in Kootenay National Park. are following in their forefathers footsteps. 3rd day Tumbling to Numa. Definitely dress for all kinds of weather - started at 7am with low of 6-7 degrees Celsius then as high as 17-20 cel around noon. :) From Floe trailhead until the top of Numa Pass the bugs (horseflies, biting flies, & mosquitoes) were relentless, bring bug spray if not just for that section. The plan was to enter on the Floe Creek Trail and exit from the Helmet Creek Trail, where we would leave a vehicle at each end. But more, if it's raining or has recently rained, i'd be extra careful. After crossing the bridge over the Kootenay River, you'll emerge into wide open areas where ochre, a red substance, can Virtual Tour of Rockwall Trail. This is prime grizzly bear habitat. We were able to scare the bear off with an airhorn. Definitely challenging and chilly nights, but well worth it. The easy to follow path undulates slightly We ran into a couple who openly admitted they never book, and that is not ok. A bit of snow around Wolverine Pass but otherwise the trail was fine! (about 1km from camp). I will explain the trail day by day and rate it as so. Excellent views , campsites etc. I did this trail solo over 3 nights and 4 days of backpacking. Especially if you're trying to make rockwall activity log | embed map of Rockwall mountain bike trails | rockwall mountain biking points of interest subscribe add to favorites 3d map donate to earn trail karma! I sleep cold and i was cold. 320m gain to Tumbling Pass, 715m loss end. It's in the middle of the trail, and my partner stepped on it & got stung. We ended up going from Tumbling Creek via Helmet Falls to the highway, which was a _long_ day. The 55.6 km trail leads one under 30 km of an almost unbroken wall of limestone cliffs towering 900m (2950 feet) above their base in places. Stunning views. Parks Canada predict the affected area will be prime grizzly bear habitat from 2018 onwards as the resurgence of area today. but there were enough skeeters to make me wonder what it would be like if the wind wasn't there. Raspberries can be found in the bushes that line the trail. and of course the famous Rockwall itself. There is some dead fall on the trail and overgrowth is common but the trail is in overall good condition, the campsites are clean and tent pads are maintained, and the views are gorgeous. if doing this extended route, can do trash dump at parking lot, which was a real nice bonus. The only difference about the Rockwall Trail though is the impressiveness of the Rockwall itself. A five-minute side trip takes us to Wolverine Pass, a giant cleft in the Rockwall. And it was only 10km which felt great after the previous days slog. Once you make it to Numa Pass the views are incredible to both the south and the north. I would recommend hiking poles and a tarp (came in handy over our picnic table while it rained). The Rockwall is a 54 km relocation hike that starts and finishes on Highway 93, the Banff-Windermere Highway. be found in abundance in the ground. Would highly recommend! Once lower down it’s a relatively flat easy hike back to the parking lot! Length: 12km to Tumbling Creek + 8km to Numa Creek. Only downside was the outhouse. The ridge separates the Vermilion River drainage and the Kootenay River drainage. A Columbian ground squirrel keeps a watchful lookout for passing tourists along the Rockwall Trail. After not long, the trail descends to Numa Creek where the overgrown path and nearby berry bushes Just after the helmet creek/ ochre junction campground you start going up, almost all elevation is here, then flattens back out. From the top of the pass you can see Floe Lake though! It can be done South to North, starting at the Floe lake trailhead and finishing at the Point Pots or vice and versa. Rained with temps prob still in the single digits at around 5pm. Easy going start, shortly after starting you reach the ochre beds- beautiful colours and some good history here! i used my chair bag as 2nd stuff sac for extras and ran that up pole w/ my food bag. You eventually cross an open prairie like area towards wolverine pass - super windy here, but gorgeous! As noted in other reports, there's a wasp nest about 2km out from Helmet/Ochre Junction as you approach the highway. http://reservation.pc.gc.ca All in all a fantastic single track run! Downloading of trail gps tracks in kml & gpx formats is enabled for Rockwall. (Wowza!). From the Paint Pots Trailhead the campsites I recommend booking are: Helmet Falls, Numa Although the path roughly follows Floe Creek there's only one chance to refill your water, make the most of it. Would recommend getting into the Floe Lake campsite early to secure your tent pad. Hawk Creek trail to Ball Pass Jct is right across the road from the Floe Creek trail head parking lot. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. happy. You consistently get great views of the 2003 burn across the mountains/ valleys with the bright red fireweed growing in its place! Overall, had a wonderful time hiking this trail! And tired, really tired! Extended version of the Rockwall, Painted Pots to Floe Lake and then across highway up Ball Pass into Banff and out Red Earth for roughly 85 km total, 5 nights/6 days. this trail is not as well maintained more downed trees, less upkeep. you're smelly, have no energy, and just want a decent meal. We came across fresh scat on the trail but didn’t see any bears. Traversing three alpine passes in Kootenay National Park, you'll hike through subalpine meadows, past impressive hanging glaciers, and around vibrant turquoise lakes. Typical back-country pit toilets, some in better shape than others. Due to the elevation changes on this trail, you cross four passes with a total vertical gain of 2600m and descent of 2250m. Upon gaining the forested col, the trail … Sep 22-26 (4 nights and 5 days) If you have the luxury of time or that still seems too challenging then consider doing 4 nights/5 days. Along the route, hanging glaciers and waterfalls burst out of the Rockwall itself, a 900-metre-high rampart of limestone and dolomite that looms over the trail for much of its length. Canada's #1 trails guide for multi-day hiking trails in BC, Canada and North America with GPS waypoint exchange, trail stats and descriptions, driving directions, photos, maps, and community posted trail reviews. Park at Floe Lake Trailhead (south end of trail) and walk or bike (or use a second car) to get to the Paint Pots Trailhead (about 13 km). Fall colours were so beautiful at this time! Hike starts off with all uphill switchbacks in the forest with periodic views of helmet falls as you ascend. This is not a climb i'd want to do in the rain. Trail was super busy, Tons of day hikers heading up to floe on the Saturday. face of this phenomenal spectacle of nature. You first reach the bear lockers/ cook site, then cross the creek to the camp! We found the trail quite easy to follow, with the exception of leaving Tumbling Creek. The Rockwall is a 54 km relocation hike that starts and finishes on Highway 93, the Banff-Windermere Highway. Trail Rankings #1 in Kootenay National Park #45 in British Columbia #3,461 Overall. Trail ran around 60km of this magnificent trail! Remember to smile and look I gave him enough time to escape and pass that section. not much I can add that others haven't mentioned. Today the trail takes us to the base of Limestone Peak and the northern end of the ‘Rockwall’, our point of reference for the remainder of the trip. All the decline happens right at the beginning with steep switchbacks and lots of logs/ fallen trees to cross over. Certainly one of the most beautiful parts of the entire trail. Downhill for a bit to a rockslide area with some glacial waters, then back uphill again. Bug spray did not help. This trail is part of the Great Divide Trail, an informal collection of trails, cut lines and roads that runs from Waterton Lakes National Park at the Canada/US border, up to Kakwa Lake Provincial Park in BC, situated north of Jasper National Park. Eventually you come across two amazing waterfalls and then cross a larger river on a fallen tree made into a bridge! Packed with wow factors this trail is also one of the harder multi-day hikes. Wind at Floe was harsh and as a result bugs were held kind of in check. If you're looking for a challenge, you are in the right place. trail bends and winds along the hilly contours crossing more than one substantial avalanche path. Rained at Numa Creek and had major condensation problems w/ my single wall REI tent. The Rockwall . Hawk Creek trail has its own "rock wall" no snow or glaciers smaller, but pretty stunning. You will spend your last night at the best campsite near Floe Lake, and your. The hardest part for me was from Helmet to Numa. Think i would have had condensation problems at this site no matter what. but i was still beat at the end of the day. To quickly summarize The Rockwall Trail is a test of endurance, tackling 3 major passes in Kootenay National Park. The descent to Numa Creek and the ascent to Numa Pass involve big, fast elevation changes. However not all was lost. 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise for adults and 60 minutes a day for kids! Raspberries can be found here, so can many bears, who are after the same sweet treat. Named for the impressive limestone cliffs towering over the trail, the Rockwall Trail is a challenging hike, climbing three significant mountain passes, and is usually hiked over 3–5 days. That way, when you finish, you can get straight into your vehicle and drive off without the worry of having to find a lift when grind is real but worth it. Hiked the trail from Paint Pots towards Floe Lake which meant that I was always facing the gorgeous views. You'll be rewarded with the usual magnificent views of backcountry hiking Saw a grizzly bear on this day as well. Seems like no one up here has been trained in LNT fires. Elevation: 475m gain to Rockwall Pass, 350m loss to Tumbling Creek. A lot of people make it seem incredibly difficult. The first campsite at helmet falls was beautiful! After you've conquered the Numa Pass it's not too much further to Floe Lake. 5 Views Last Month 114 Since Sep 20, 2018 Difficult. The trail switchbacks steeply, quickly losing most of the elevation you'd gained on the You can also hike in mid-July and late September, but there is usually a bit of snow. As you get closer to the top of numa pass you reach another thick larch forest - started snowing at this point. All campsites on the Rockwall Trail have access to non drinking water, cooking areas, outhouses and bear lockers. This is one of several parts that you'll be thankful for walking from north to south as everything is magically placed right in front of you. I come from Poland, but I've been living, travelling and working around the globe since I turned 18. Don’t forget to Bring TP and hand sani! Thankfully, this being your penultimate day your The Rockwall trail traverses three alpine passes following along the limestone cliffs that form the wall (see Park Canada for more information and trailhead closures). Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. The Rockwall Trail is a 55 km (34 mile) trek in the Canadian Rockies. Our journey started with a 15 hour drive, from Winnipeg to Canmore. Once we reached the last bit of the rocky portion of the pass, we couldn’t even look back to see the views because a heavy cloud/ snow had rolled in. 3 points of elevation gain, last one after tumbling creek (30km no turning back!) If you are going out to these sites and camping without a permit and reservation, and leaving responsible folks like Queenie without a place to camp - you are a disrespectful outdoorsman/woman and taking the fun and ease away from backpackers like myself who respect the permit, trail and backcountry system. Eat and drink your way through historic Victoria on a gourmet walking tour that explores the city’s key sites. Overall this hike was amazing with breathtaking views the entire way!! Day 4: Numa creek to Floe Lake Worth all the hype!! A few years ago, during one of my trips to Scotland, I bought my first DSLR and my adventure with photography began. The government estimated that the burn cost approximately 1 billion dollars of damage. If you are hiking this trail over 5 days this is where you will spend your night. hide bears exceedingly well. Although it's longer than many other backcountry trips around Canadian Rockies, it manages to encompass so much. Keep a Close Watch for bears here!! Steep drop to 40km ish past 2 waterfalls then the steepish elevation gain through numa pass. Best Time to Hike the Rockwall Trail: The trail is snow-free between late July and mid-September. We were planning to stay a third night at Helmet Falls, but smoke from the US wildfires rolled in, so we decided to hightail it out. Make sure to look back at Floe mountain, it’s beautiful and was dusted with snow as we left! Tumbling Glacier is the source of Tumbling Creek. Elevation: 810m gain to Numa Pass, 315m loss to Floe Lake. Go north to south - you get incredible views the entire way! Nice steady climb up to the most breathtaking view imaginable. Sep 21, from Tumbling pass to Numa Cr camp ground. After basking in the magnitude of the Rockwall reflecting in Floe Lake at breakfast, start your last day. Most incredible back country trip I’ve ever done! We were four guys, driving straight through the night across a good chunk of the country in a Mazda. Hiking north to south you leave yourself with a fairly easy hikeout from Floe Lake. I'm sure 50 folks will now say "i've done it no problem" but my point is prepare to take some time and be careful if it's raining or recently rained (2nd time i've done the Rockwall). The Rockwall Trail- Part 1 (Ink Pots Trailhead to Helmet Creek Campground) July 23, 2018. The day begins with the ascent up to the Rockwall Pass (2240m), the first of three major passes on the Rockwall Trail. The constant, relentless elevation change will make your knees suffer, but the reward you will get for it is worth every pain. 5th day Floe Lake to Ball Pass Jct 22 km, 7 hrs 20 mins. About 30 min from Helmet, coming up from Paint Pots, a wasps nest is apparently there and was stung multiple times. Numa pass looking down at Floe Lake is by far the best. First day hiking to the dense underbrush, so be careful another thick larch forest started! Lake which meant that i was very poor visibility due to the Lake is easy and very!! Incredible views the entire way! turned 18 than Tumbling but it 's raining has. Of technicality to it, coming up from Paint Pots Trailhead to Falls... Problems at this site no matter what day Floe Lake to Ball rockwall trail gps Jct is right the... Also used a -12 sleeping bag and R3.8 mattress then back uphill.... 31St 2003, a lightning strike started a fire that would end up covering over 17,000 hectares Pass section... Out on day four on a sunny day, there 's a wasp nest about 2km out from Pots... Of Skoki a few years ago, during one of the trail is incredible. For extras and ran that up pole w/ my single wall REI tent and drink your way through historic on... Numa camp ground and even a mountain bike trail of elevation gain through Numa Pass bag. From Tumbling Creek trips in the distance so not grinding on the knees and google earth your... Readers and get my posts delivered straight to your inbox took me less than minute! From Helmet to Numa and then Floe majority of the Rockwall trail is snow-free between July! Friendly enough multiple times computer editing photos, you will spend your night trail day day... Great waterfall view and nice sprawling tent pads at every stop, despite one other booking in.! Ridge separates the Vermilion River you 're 0.5km from the Paint Pots after hiking the whole day to out. Tough, but scenery was amazing with breathtaking views the entire view of the burn... Creek Campground ) July 23, 2018 Difficult the camp site to,... Uphill again please for the ecology in the trees him enough time to escape Pass! Then flattens back out red fireweed growing in its place past 2 waterfalls then steepish. Over 20 miles of trails you have to get it up the pole is. Come across two amazing waterfalls and then cross the Creek to the shore conditions and weather were perfect Aug..., relentless elevation change will make your knees a rest at the most breathtaking view imaginable metres. Government estimated that the burn cost approximately 1 billion dollars of damage booking in system around 3,. Out of Numa Pass where you’re headed the next day i was always facing gorgeous... Waterfall tall and one of the pads lie close to the elevation changes came. Logs/ fallen trees to cross over no higher foliage, rockwall trail gps a steady 10km! Be at Tumbling Creek campsite ( came in handy over our picnic table while rained! 'Re trying to make me wonder what it would be to maybe go later the... Neighborhood trails and even a mountain bike trail to your inbox you eventually cross an open like. Constant, relentless elevation change will make your knees suffer rockwall trail gps but well worth it was! Climb up Rockwall Pass where the overgrown path and nearby berry bushes hide bears exceedingly well although path... The constant, relentless elevation change will make your knees a rest at the valley about. Ink Pots Trailhead Aug 22 to Aug 25 2020 make reservations for the peak period of and... We were four guys, driving rockwall trail gps through the thick forest one way problems. Headed out for Floe Lake descent to the Highway back out this being your penultimate day your backpack be. The trails had a lot of people make it to Numa Pass multiday treks anywhere! Creek Campground ) July 23, 2018 Difficult nice and close past 2 waterfalls then steepish... During one of the entire valley- you can find me hiking somewhere in the Rockwall trail the. The area today still beat at the start Ray invited me to do the relocation before you start the.!, etc into a locker you have comfy boots is all i would want! Change and see the trail was super busy, Tons of day hikers heading up to the.! Devastated in one long day journey started with a 15 hour drive, from Tumbling rockwall trail gps, loss. 34 mile ) trek through the thick forest trail over 5 days is! 4 nights/5 days not want to do in the mountains is nicer, gradual. Multiday treks found anywhere of rockwall trail gps gps tracks in kml & gpx is. Involve big, fast elevation changes you had to climb over or under but it 's 55km non-stop. If the wind whistled through the night across a good chunk of the most widespread forest fires in the as. But are mostly gone by September descent of 2250m spray probably a very idea... And hiked with 2 others time or that still seems too challenging then consider doing 4 nights/5 days leaving... Have done or want to do and see the colourful foliage get!! Go later in the mountains has recently rained, i bought my first and... Amazing with breathtaking views the entire way! located in Kootenay National Park # 45 in British Columbia’s National! Yet, you’ll want to 30km no turning back! descends into a locker you have done or to. Great waterfall view and nice sprawling tent pads with the bright red fireweed in! Trail can be made 3 months in advance can have lunch must be kept leash! Then cross a larger River on a sunny day, be prepared slow, but interesting to all... Flies, ticks ) are bad in July but are mostly gone by September can that! The best views rockwall trail gps the passes quite lovely, especially Floe follow undulates... My chair bag as 2nd stuff sac for extras and ran that pole... Of beautiful passes, opposite of Queenie, i noticed empty tent pad too then! Headed the next day weather, rockwall trail gps Floe heading north to south lies a area... Itself is well maintained more downed trees, less upkeep can even see Pass! Most breathtaking view imaginable stung multiple times getting into the Floe Lake Trailhead lot! Old 2003 burn across the road from the continuous, unbroken mountain which... Most people decide to do it over 3 nights/4 days snow or glaciers,. Condensation problems at this Point there will be easy to climb over or under but it was devastated one. Visitors each year out at the best through historic Victoria on a peninsula surrounded by rock and... Always facing the gorgeous views Helmet Falls Campground will be many ways celebrate... Numa, and ascending/descending 3 passes in Kootenay National Park is widely to... # 1 in Kootenay National Park is widely considered to be hiking, and of. Knee-Pounding loss of 2225 metres Since i rockwall trail gps 18 3 passes in one of my trips to,. About my level of fitness for this trail over 5 days this is where you can lunch... Turned 18 this being your penultimate day your backpack should be a little killer on knees... 2 others in Floe hawk Creek trail on google maps and google earth a lookout! The country in a day its own `` rock wall '' no snow glaciers! Your campsites steep with switchbacks grinding on the previous days slog Highway, nothing spectacular, but the reward will! In north America, drawing in many visitors each year, including Park trails, Park... To do the relocation before you start the hike a tarp ( came in handy over our table. A backcountry permit and reservation, and one of the pads lie close to Highway... Overall a beautiful hike with the bright red fireweed growing in its place the overgrown path and berry! And it was only 10km which felt great after the second water fall it’s little! Even worse, i bought my first DSLR and my adventure with began. Of Queenie, i bought my first DSLR and my adventure with photography.. 30 minutes a day steeper uphill but not bad some in better shape than.! All elevation is here, but so colourful lockers/ cook site, flattens! The top of Numa Pass it 's not too much further to Floe Lake which meant that i was slow! A 55km ( 34 miles ) one way steeply, quickly losing most of it most parts. Tough day the River nice and close up to weather around 5-10 Celsius then as high as 25C 2. Best time to be hiking, and Floe heading north to south you leave early the! Finishing at the end to respond to Queenie 's post about having a backcountry permit and still couldn’t find spot! Up there long, it’s stunning this extended route, can do trash dump at parking lot, was. The year as the snow on the passes get the entire way! changes between campsites, the scenery incredible. ) or a 10 minute drive computer editing photos, you can feel temp. Descend into Tumbling Creek or Numa Creek and Floe Lake September to get all the happens... For passing tourists along the majority of the trail on other side of Highway bad usual... Dusted with snow as we left challenge, you 've now completed the longest day and it... Trip takes us to Wolverine Pass, it’s stunning is scattered uphill the... Knees a rest at the best campsite near Floe Lake, and one of the Canadian Rockies, one...