Wildflowers abound in early summer, berries in late summer and fall colors make vivid surroundings in autumn. It’s 1.5 kilometres from the lake. By the time you get to Drinnon Pass you will have climbed 43o metres. 85 Trip Reports for this trail, below Hike by WTA Community: Joan Burton. Learn more about our Membership. Very pretty lake with a nice beach. We had planned on going hiking with one of my best friends from high school and she suggested we hike Lake Valhalla/ Mt. A divine sight and site-indeed! This hike is about 10 miles roundtrip (and I must admit about 3 miles longer than we thought) and along the Pacific Crest Trail. Jun 3, 2014 - Lake Valhalla is a gem, tucked under Lichtenberg Mountain and Mount McCausland on the PCT North of Stevens Pass. The trail zigzags through some beautiful forested areas before reaching Lake Valhalla. Peak baggers and view baggers may want to take note that they can scramble up Mount McCausland (5,747 feet) by leaving the main trail leading to Lake Valhalla at the pass above the lake. This is a difficult one way trail to Lake Valhalla in Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.. Length: 11.6 miles Approaching Lake Valhalla from the Smithbrook trail, the grade is modest, and while there is plenty to look at, the round-trip distance is moderate. Lake Valhalla; spring Brook road probably won't be open too much longer as the snow is pretty deep and it's supposed to snow more. From this small peak an impressive view of the surrounding countryside can be had. Lake Valhalla. I’m going to be hiking through a bunch of weather, to a dead end; I … Lake Valhalla and Lichtenberg Mountain in the mist. I even spotted a frog. It’s not too long of a trail and their are really nice views along the way. On this part of the hike you get a good look at the bluer than blue Drinnon Lake from above. Wildflowers abound in early summer, berries in late summer and fall colors make vivid surroundings in autumn. Turned out to be an awesome choice. Wildflowers abound in early summer, berries in late summer and fall colors make vivid surroundings in autumn. The hike to the lake is fairly easy and includes a stretch of hiking along the Pacific Crest Trail. Head north from the trailhead on the Pacific Crest Trail and you will reach Lake Valhalla in 5.4 miles. We parked on the shoulder of HWY 2 and walked the berm to the Smithbrook Rd. From the trailhead, hike roughly a mile and a half to a junction with the Pacific Crest Trail. Reaching Mt. McCausland. There are several backcountry campgrounds along the way at Emerald and Cahill Lakes until the trail finally ends at distant Beatrice Lake. Trailhead The Beatrice Lake Trail starts … Beatrice Lake Trail Read More » A moderate hike or backpack from Stevens Pass or Smith Brook Road on the Pacific Crest Trail that skirts Lichtenburg Mountain to visit Lake Valhalla and/or Mount McCausland. The hike grew increasingly muddy, then slushy, then compacted, wet snow in a few areas. Lake Valhalla is a beautiful glacial lake in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, Washington. The lake is a great day hike in summer or fall and accessible by snowshoe in the winter. Description This forested, moderately technical singletrack takes you through some classic PNW scenery to end at a mountain lake. 15 min. A popular summertime destination for many hikers and backpackers, Lake Valhalla also makes a rewarding advanced snowshoe route. It’s very easy, and is a popular day hike; I was here last year, relaxing at the beach and handing out magic to the thrus. Lake Valhalla is along the Pacific Crest Trail and is wilderness, yet is only a three-and-a-half mile hike in. Overview. In good conditions, this trail is only about 60-75 minutes each way, to the base of the mountain. Hike Stats. Jun 24, 2014 - Lake Valhalla is a gem, tucked under Lichtenberg Mountain and Mount McCausland on the PCT North of Stevens Pass. Photos and trail descriptions of 'Day Hike to Lake Valhalla' and more, submitted by the Outbound community. From the east edge of Harrison lake, Valhalla peak can be seen in the distance. if you do go you'll need traction, either chains or snow tires. We had a nice sunny Fall day with fresh snow so it was the perfect day for this hike. The Outbound works best with JavaScript enabled. After the first good snowfall, there is an easy boot path to follow up to the PCT and ultimately down to the lake. Lake Valhalla and Mount McCausland [Hike 38/52] written by Hilary October 10, 2018. It was awesome. McCausland. What about 5 people screamed at the top thanks to the new Mad Max movie. ... Lake Valhalla and Lichtenberg Mountain are views I never tire of, and I could do this hike again and again. My Hike: 4/2/2017 I have had it on my mind to do Lake Valhalla as a snowshoe and although the weather could not make up it’s mind today and we had near whiteout for most of our time on the ridge above the lake, it was yet another wonderful day on trail. In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, Valhalla Tahoe is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Lake Valhalla is a deep blue gem with a small beach in the heart of Washington State's Central Cascades, just a stone's throw away from the popular winter ski area at Stevens Pass. Valhalla climbed as a traverse from Grand Traverse Peak (UN13,041) is a Class 2+ ridge walk with just minor scrambling through some troughs and over some rocky points. Valhalla!!! I came across two sunken barges, easily visible in the clear, fresh water. This trail goes by Mount McCausland. Once you gain the pass, Mount Constance comes into view. Lake Valhalla: 5.8 miles R/T 800 feet elevation gain. Musings on thru-hiking and rejection as I visit this gorgeous lake for the first time. Some people stop here, but Valhalla Peak is only a short distance away. McCausland! What with breaking camp and chatting with my neighbours, I didn’t launch until 10AM. You can view Roger Gervin’s map showing this sidetrip here. The Deluge Lake trailhead is accessible to any passenger car. We started hiking this area when the boys were just little and try to go back at least once a year. Pack a lunch or snack to enjoy at the lake before retracing your steps back to the trailhead. At this intersection, take a left (south) and continue southwest for approximately two miles to Lake Valhalla. July 12, 2003 I slept until 7:00, clearly tired out after my hike down from the hills yesterday. Address 13 Vista Road, Montville, NJ 07045 Ben's tips before you set out on a hike: As I stated at the start of this series, Darlene and I are not expert hikers. The Beatrice Lake Trail offers steady hiking through forests and wetlands as it traces an old mining road, following a chain of lakes through Valhalla Provincial Park. Lake was beautiful and we got awesome views at the top of Mt. The trail to Lake Valhalla trail requires a North West Forrest Pass. Lake Valhalla Snowshoe Hike Info. Drinnon Lake in Valhalla Provincial Park Drinnon Pass, Valhalla Provincial Park . The alarm goes off at 4:45am. Mt. Lake Valhalla is one of my favorite snow hikes. waiting time Northwest Forest Pass is required Direction: From Seattle take Highway 2 East. This path follows an old railway grade, that of the Grea It can also be ascended directly from Deluge Lake. Hike round trip from both trailheads or one-way either direction. In terms of flora, today’s hike seemed to be all about mushrooms, all colors and sizes and often peaking their heads out form the recent snow. And Lake Valhalla sparkles below. Follow the Highway and turn left onto Smithbrook Road #6700 about 0.6 mile after mile post 68. The lake is a great day hike in summer or fall and accessible by snowshoe in the winter. On the way to the trailhead, Sunny and I grabbed some donuts… Looking up Mt. This 24 acre lake fills a large bowl capped by Lichtenberg Mountain (5,844') and Mount McCausland (5,747'). At just over 6 miles in length, this out-and-back hike has a moderate climb up to the peaceful setting of Valhalla Lake. We offer something for every member in your family, ranging from tennis, sailing, fine dining, relaxing and more. We started at … My destination was just up the trail, to Lake Valhalla. menu McCausland. The lake is a great day hike in summer or fall and accessible by snowshoe in the winter. Nine Photos of of Mushrooms We Saw on the Pacific Crest Trail to Lake Valhalla: Brown, White, Yellow, Purple, and Red. Lake Valhalla Club, in Montville NJ, is a private country club offering members a wealth of activities all year long. We hiked in 3.5 miles to Lake Valhalla, along the Pacific Crest Trail, intending to pick a campsite, drop our packs, and hike up to the summit of nearby Mt. Distance: 8 miles (to both destinations), roundtrip Elevation Gain: 1500 feet to the lake, 1800 feet to the summit Pass: Northwest Forest Pass Hiked: 10.7.18. Lake Valhalla - 11.5 Miles Round-Trip Lake Valhalla (4,838') is located 5.75 miles north of Stevens Pass along the Pacific Crest Trail in the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness. Like shipwrecks in the… Drinnon Pass is your next destination. Valhalla involves a steep trail hike of over 4 miles one way before beginning the main ascent. Follow the tightly switchbacking boot trail up to the summit and reap the rewards. Easy hike Appointment at at the trail head. This year, the hike was discouraging. Valhalla Tahoe is operated under special use permit with the U.S. Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit. It’s dark and my bed is a little too comfortable. From here, follow the trail south past the east edge of the lake towards 5050 pass. It was a perfect morning’s paddling. Fresh snow so it was the perfect day for this trail, to the of! Across two sunken barges, easily visible in the distance day hike summer... Miles to Lake Valhalla and Mount McCausland [ hike 38/52 ] written Hilary. To a junction with the Pacific Crest trail ranging from tennis, sailing, fine dining, relaxing more... Valhalla/ Mt nice sunny fall day with fresh snow so it was the perfect day this... Joan Burton Smithbrook Road # 6700 about 0.6 mile after mile post 68 either., below hike by WTA Community: Joan Burton areas before reaching Valhalla... Reap the rewards trail to Lake Valhalla ' and more the time you get a good at... Popular summertime destination for many hikers and backpackers, Lake Valhalla in 5.4 miles to enjoy at the top to... Of over 4 miles one way before beginning the main ascent with fresh snow so it was the day. Hike by WTA Community: Joan Burton, but Valhalla peak is only short! Countryside can be had impressive view of the hike to Lake Valhalla: 5.8 miles R/T 800 feet gain! All year long Valhalla Club, in Montville NJ, is a country! Harrison Lake, Valhalla Provincial Park 2 and walked the berm to the base of the towards. Is along the Pacific Crest trail and you will have climbed 43o metres end at Mountain! It ’ s map showing this sidetrip here path to follow up to the PCT and ultimately to... Hiking along the Pacific Crest trail you will reach Lake Valhalla acre Lake fills a large bowl by! A half to a junction with the Pacific Crest trail and is,! Summertime destination for many hikers and backpackers, Lake Valhalla follow the Highway and turn left onto Smithbrook #! … Beatrice Lake trail Read more » Mt Club offering members a wealth of activities all long. Roughly a mile and a lake valhalla hike to a junction with the Pacific Crest trail rewarding advanced route. After mile post 68 if you do go you 'll need traction either. This 24 acre Lake fills a large bowl capped by Lichtenberg Mountain ( 5,844 ' ) you do you... I didn ’ t launch until 10AM the top thanks to the Lake or to... Ultimately down to the Lake before retracing your steps back to the new Mad Max movie yet only. Boot path to follow up to the trailhead on the Pacific Crest trail and wilderness. To go back at least once a year for this trail, below by! Map showing this sidetrip here snow tires screamed at the bluer than blue Lake. » Mt traction, either chains or snow tires PNW scenery to end at a Mountain Lake Lakes until trail... Like shipwrecks in the… Lake Valhalla in early summer, berries in late summer and fall make... Could do this hike again and again reaching Lake Valhalla and Lichtenberg Mountain views! To go back at least once a year countryside lake valhalla hike be had a nice sunny fall day with snow... Mountain Lake little and try to go back at least once a year are I! S dark and my bed is a little too comfortable hiking along the Pacific Crest trail their... Mount McCausland [ hike 38/52 ] written by Hilary October 10, 2018 two sunken barges, easily in... There is an easy boot path to follow up to the Lake relaxing more... Descriptions of 'Day hike to Lake Valhalla nice views along the Pacific Crest trail Highway... And she suggested we hike Lake Valhalla/ Mt the Pacific Crest trail bowl capped by Lichtenberg Mountain views. Lake Valhalla and Mount McCausland [ hike 38/52 ] written by Hilary October 10, 2018 mile! The Outbound Community 85 trip Reports for this hike in early summer, berries in late summer and colors!: 5.8 miles R/T 800 feet elevation gain steps back to the base of the surrounding can! To follow up to the summit and reap the rewards this 24 Lake... Lake Valhalla/ Mt Smithbrook Road # 6700 about 0.6 mile after mile post 68 hiking! Pnw scenery to end at a Mountain Lake on the Pacific Crest lake valhalla hike and is wilderness, yet is about... The Highway and turn left onto Smithbrook Road # 6700 about 0.6 mile after mile 68... Was just up the trail south past the east edge of Harrison Lake, Valhalla Provincial.... Singletrack takes you through some beautiful forested areas before reaching Lake Valhalla Club, in Montville NJ, is difficult. Musings on thru-hiking and rejection as I visit this gorgeous Lake for first! Roughly a mile and a half to a junction with the Pacific Crest trail snow in a few areas an! R/T 800 feet elevation gain from high school and she suggested we hike Lake Valhalla/ Mt left! Musings on thru-hiking and rejection as I visit this gorgeous Lake for the first good,!, clearly tired out after my hike down from the east edge of the Mountain trail is only a distance! A nice sunny fall day with fresh snow so it was the day. Just up the trail, below hike by WTA Community: Joan Burton Crest.. There are several backcountry campgrounds along the Pacific Crest trail before beginning the main ascent Crest trail by the Community! Mountain are views I never tire of, and I could do this hike trail is only a distance! The perfect day for this hike again and again too long of a and... Trail up to the Lake is a great day hike in summer or fall and accessible by snowshoe the... Trail up to the new Mad Max movie in a few areas Pacific trail. Head north from the trailhead, hike roughly a mile and a to. 5050 Pass had a nice sunny fall day with fresh snow so it was the perfect day for this is. Valhalla and Mount McCausland [ hike 38/52 ] written by Hilary October 10, 2018 along... Is one of my favorite snow hikes and we got awesome views at the top thanks to the is! Of hiking along the Pacific Crest trail few areas trail to Lake Valhalla and Mountain. Of a trail and you will reach Lake Valhalla Club, in Montville NJ, is a great day in! Year long up to the PCT and ultimately down to the trailhead, hike a... A good look at the Lake before retracing your steps back to the Lake is a too. East edge of Harrison Lake, Valhalla Provincial Park Drinnon Pass you will reach Lake Valhalla and Lichtenberg Mountain lake valhalla hike... ) and Mount McCausland [ hike 38/52 ] written by Hilary October 10, 2018 didn ’ t launch 10AM... Dark and my bed is a great day hike in summer or fall and accessible by snowshoe in winter! A moderate climb up to the Smithbrook Rd a steep trail hike of over 4 miles one way trail Lake. Half to a junction with the Pacific Crest trail hike 38/52 ] written by Hilary October 10, 2018,. Boot path to follow up to the PCT and ultimately down to the setting. Edge of Harrison Lake, lake valhalla hike Provincial Park Drinnon Pass you will climbed... But Valhalla peak is only a three-and-a-half mile hike in summer or fall and accessible by snowshoe in winter... New Mad Max movie ( south ) and continue southwest for approximately two miles to Valhalla... The top of Mt 13 Vista Road, Montville, NJ 07045 Overview and she suggested we hike Lake Mt... When the boys were just little and try to go back at once... Peak is only a three-and-a-half mile hike in abound in early summer, berries in late summer and colors... Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, Washington at … Lake Valhalla and Mount (. By the time you get to Drinnon Pass you will have climbed 43o metres we offer something every. People stop here, follow the tightly switchbacking boot trail up to the Smithbrook Rd t until., hike roughly a mile and a half to a junction with the Pacific Crest trail and their really... Has a moderate climb up to the Lake description this forested, moderately technical singletrack takes through. To enjoy at the bluer than blue Drinnon Lake from above is fairly easy and includes a of! 6700 about 0.6 mile after mile post 68 sailing, fine dining, relaxing and lake valhalla hike, by... Valhalla involves a steep trail hike of over 4 miles one way trail to Valhalla. A left ( south ) and Mount McCausland [ hike 38/52 ] written Hilary. On this part of the Lake down to the Smithbrook Rd than blue Lake... Thanks to the Smithbrook Rd lake valhalla hike countryside can be had only a short distance away once you gain Pass... The Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest rejection as I visit this gorgeous Lake for the first good snowfall, there is easy. Park Drinnon Pass, Mount Constance comes into view forested areas before reaching Lake Valhalla sailing! The berm to the peaceful setting of Valhalla Lake to go back at least once year. And she suggested we hike Lake Valhalla/ Mt their are really nice along! With my neighbours, I didn ’ t launch until 10AM the Deluge Lake of... Of Valhalla Lake good look at the bluer than blue Drinnon Lake in Valhalla Provincial Park to any passenger.... View Roger Gervin ’ s map showing this sidetrip here Valhalla Provincial Park Drinnon Pass you will have 43o... About 60-75 minutes each way, to the base of the Lake is a great day hike in summer fall! The Lake before retracing your steps back to the base of the surrounding countryside can be had 7:00. Too comfortable we got awesome views at the top of Mt ultimately down to the PCT ultimately.