Other people might need an entire day for arms. How many sets you do in that higher rep range is based on how experienced you are, your training intensity for the day and even the volume of your workout. Sets/reps. If you can’t do 10+ pull-ups, 20+ Dips, Bench your bodyweight, Press at least half your bodyweight & Row as much as you Bench then I’d say get a minimum level of strength before you do that much volume on arm isolation. Triceps Dip. Build bigger and stronger biceps and thick defined triceps with this arm program. In the beginner phase, you focus on reducing rest times between sets. i used to to 18 sets i was able to get good pump but aftet 4 months i noticed that my biceps gone sour and i was overtrainig.so How many reps should you do if your on a cutting diet? Hamstring Curl. The question of "how many sets does it take to grow muscle?" Bench Press. In the intermediate, you focus on getting the 100 reps done in fewer sets. Set 10: Use 50% of the max you used for the strict reps and perform as many strict reps as possible. For biceps I’ll do 10 regular curls and 10 hammer curls. Always consult with a qualified healthcare professional prior to beginning any diet or exercise program or taking any dietary supplement. Add 5 … Today I was working out biceps and chest, I was suppose to do three exercises for bi, reverse EZ bar curl, negative concentration and 21s. I do maybe 6-9 sets of arm iso per week, & that’s only because I have a unilateral deficiency. Then 9 and 9 and so on down to 1. I know that it depends on me and what do I like. I work biceps and triceps 2-3 times a week for anywhere from 16 to 26 sets each session. So I only did 4 sets of reverse ez curls and 4 sets of 21s (the 21s always kill me lol). Insane pump. Braun recommends selecting a moderate-to-heavy weight and doing about 10 reps per set. It depends on you to be honest. Can you close grip bench press your bodyweight & do pull-ups in the double digits? Especially when you consider that you will be engaging your arms for a lot more time under stress during other sessions. Bentover Row. There are a lot of ways to force growth. There’s some really good research on it. This muscle is known as the bicep because it has 2(bi) heads. And I like the anatomy of the long bicep because it makes my arm look fuller and also when it flex it. Focus on load (how much weight you lift) and volume (how many reps and sets you do) if you want to build mass. When bodybuilders want an incredible biceps workout, ... You could also go lighter and do it as a timed set, pumping out as many reps in each range as possible for 20 seconds. Therethrough… Sets: 3-5 Reps: 8-12. Jon Andersen’s Deep Water program is a whole different animal from 5/3/1. So intensity techniques, like drop sets, forced reps, rest pause, negative reps and supersets will be key in forcing them to grow. Current research indicates that anything between 3-10 sets per body part, per session, is sufficient to maximize muscle protein synthesis (MPS). The way I see it is if you want muscle growth, then you need low reps (I try to keep to less than 6). Rusin prescribes 8 to 25 reps for back exercises (with 45–75 seconds rest between sets). All rights reserved. Maybe your not seeing the results you want because the anatomy of your bicep doesn't match your ideal arm? You know what's even better than 24? For building bicep mass, perform two to six sets per biceps exercise for no more than six repetitions. This is important because in case you have to fall back from training for any particular reason, you don’t want to lose your hard acquired gains, do you? The technique uses various ranges-of-motion during a curl to stimulate new muscle growth and … You can get growth out of 3 sets a week, depending on your previous training, reps, weight used, etc, etc. © 2020 Bodybuilding.com. Basically go until I reach that point where I maybe have 1 or 2 reps left in the tank. Well…that instinct is WRONG! I vary the rep ranges, some stuff 6-8 and others 8-15. I dunno man that seems a hell of a lot. But here is something that happened to me recently. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Hanging from the bar, pull your shoulder blades back and down to lift your body up and build momentum. Depends, are you a pro bodybuilder? Then drop weight and do it again. 2.) Now, this is a broad range, but it's impossible to establish an exact number as the difference between one person and another is just too great. Sets 7-9: Do 3 loose reps (use a slight cheat to lift the weight) with as much weight as possible, 10-20% more than the preceding sets. Sets: 3-5 Reps: 8-12. More than enough in most cases. When I was doing negative concentrations I noticed that I am not getting a pump no matter what weight I use (not only this workout, for about a year now, I only do concentration because on every plan I do its there), so I decided to skip the exercise. Depending on what you mean by “arms”, I think he means the legs that come out of your shoulders. Sets 7-9: Do 3 loose reps (use a slight cheat to lift the weight) with as much weight as possible, 10-20% more than the preceding sets. Sets 3-6: Do 3 strict reps on each set, using as much weight as possible. Twenty-fiiiive. It looks like it's too much if you mean 24 sets per biceps, 24 sets per triceps and so on. Sets are the total number of complete rounds of repetitions someone would so in a workout. So I only did 4 sets of reverse ez curls and 4 sets of 21s (the 21s always kill me lol). how many sets of 21's do you do for biceps do you stop at the first set of 21 ,or do you take a break ,and do a couple more stets of 21's *****SHEEPDOG***** 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM #2. Never had a problem.with growth. 2 years ago It looks like it's too much if you mean 24 sets per biceps, 24 sets per triceps and so on. Single Dumbbell Wrist Extension [not shown] Sets: 2 Reps: 20-30 (each side) Rest: 0 sec. It depends. How many "total" sets should I do for one specific muscle group? If you can answer this to a magic number you’ll become infinitely rich. Be the first to receive exciting news, features, and special offers from Bodybuilding.com! Why is it important to know your MV? enough to allow you to fall within the optimal volume range for each muscle group Grow like a pro with the ultimate science-based program for insane gains. I ask this question because I know that arms don't need much time to recover, but even so, 24 sets is enough to help me grow my muscle with sufficient nutrition? Repetitions make up one set, which rep ranges can go from … Sets 3-6: Do 3 strict reps on each set, using as much weight as possible. I know that my biceps are long instead of short. This is simply not the case. When bodybuilders want an incredible biceps workout, they do 21s.. It depends on you to be honest. Bicep curling 10kg dumbbells with perfect form is … Think of a biceps curl or triceps rope press-down. For most folks, 2-6 sets/week seems to be sufficient to stimulate some growth. Change the inside, and the physique will follow. Choco92. You will still need to establish maxes on the key lifts, but you will be doing primarily 10x10 work on the program. Chest, Shoulders & Triceps – 4 sets of 12-15 reps; Back and Biceps – 4 sets of 12-15 reps; Legs and Abs – 4 sets of 12-15 reps; Pick 2 or 3 exercises for each muscle group — two if you’re starting out, three if you’ve been lifting a while. With 4 sessions, it’s around 30 sets, and with 5 or 6 weekly sessions, it might be as high as 35 sets per week in many cases. On the other hand, the biceps curl machine's cam enables it to adjust the force vector accordingly to create high-levels of muscle activation through the entire range of motion. DAY 2 (BICEPS EMPHASIS) Preacher Curl: 4 sets of 8-15 reps (use a weight that is near a 15RM for first set, then use that weight for all remaining sets) Incline Bench Dumbbell Skull Crusher: 4 sets of 8-15 reps (use a weight that is near a 15RM for first set, then use that weight for all remaining sets) As of right now I do 20 reps and at least 6 sets of preacher curls also how long should I take in between sets i take like 30 secs.Im sorry if my questions are stupid but I am new so yeah thnx for any help in advance For biceps, you can do 10 reps all the way up to 50 (20–45 seconds rest between them). Set 10: Use 50% of the max you used for the strict reps and perform as many strict reps as possible. Volume – How many sets and reps should I do per week per muscle? And, its effectiveness surprises many lifters who when they first see it think it’s “gimmicky” because it’s so different than any biceps … In an effort to build bigger biceps, carve out powerful pecs, build tree trunks for legs and get a set of six pack abs that might make you the envy of every guy this Summer and the desire of every woman…the natural instinct is to INCREASE the number of times you workout every week. With 4 sessions, it’s around 30 sets, and with 5 or 6 weekly sessions, it might be as high as 35 sets per week in many cases. Performing as little as 6-8 sets per week can also suffice for some lifters who are performing a lot of pulling, as the biceps are also responsible for this movement. I was wondering if 8 sets for biceps is enough for a person that has been training for about three years now. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Discussion of physical fitness/exercise goals and how they can be achieved, Press J to jump to the feed. But, if you’re training each muscle group about two times per week, that’s 30 to 60 reps each large muscle group and 15 to 20 reps for each small muscle group and so on. T his is a question that I see a lot on many messageboards.Some people say one set is fine if you break down the muscle. PRESCRIPTION: 2 sets of 10 reps (or as many as you can if less than 10). Cookies help us deliver our Services. If you really push yourself and get near failure you can build muscle with as little as 1 set; at the same time, if you don't push yourself you could do 10 sets of an exercise for almost no benefit. MV stands for Maintenance Volumeand refers to the amount of work that is required to maintain the muscle’s current size. The number “21” refers to the number of total reps you do in one set. The MRV depends highly on the number of sessions per week. how many sets of 21's do you do for biceps do you stop at the first set of 21 ,or do you take a break ,and do a couple more stets of 21's *****SHEEPDOG***** 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM #2. It is a FACT that the body parts trained first will always progress faster than those that are trained afterward. There was a recent study by Dr. Daniel Hackett et al that concluded that the optimal sets per body part per week for building muscle is between 10–20. Bodybuilding.com℠ and BodySpace® are trademarks of Bodybuilding.com. The upper arm consists of the biceps, triceps, and shoulders. I workout for about three years now, when I first started, I always do 3 exercises for biceps with 9 sets, sometimes I do 10 or 12 sets, usually curls, hammer, and concentration. Hit em hard. Have you been training consistently for 5+ years? There are a few ways you can go about this and all are ideal for building muscle. 2. 1 amrap @ 85% close grip bench press does not provide the same stimulus as 1 set tricep push downs, so it depends on your overall programming. Sets/reps If you want to get stronger biceps, you need to perform sets and repetitions that will cause you to challenge your muscles and lift heavier and heavier weight. This biceps protocol has been one our favorites because it only takes 30 seconds to get your biceps swollen and pumped. I’d interpret this to mean that the minimum sets needed to optimize “gains” would be 10 and doing 20 per week reap more gains. The best gym etiquette tips from Reddit users "For the first year/18 months, don't worry about the numbers, focus on your form. Sets: 3-5 Reps: 8-12. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. So we know based on the 2017 meta-analysis mentioned earlier that roughly 10-20 sets per muscle per week is the sweet spot for maximizing growth. Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Well 1-5 reps and generally 4-6 sets. If this is your first workout ever, you are probably only going to do one set. Primary functions of the biceps: Elbow Flexion – The bicep helps bring your wrist towards your shoulders. Most of the defined routines end up "forcing" you to push yourself though their progressive overload, which is one of the reasons they're so successful. In these instances, aim for a two-to-one ratio of total sets (in this example, 6 total sets for back and 3 for biceps). I do a minimum of 12 and max.of 20 in my.workouts per muscle group. For a big change up, take a look at occlusion training. 24 is fine but so is 12 if you're pushing hard. Again, it just depends on where you're at currently, what your goals are, etc. Sometimes I do 21s. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. But overall 24 sets including all arm muscles looks okay, but imo a little bit too much. He recommends keeping the torso straight to get a really good stretch and contraction in the biceps. Look up Brian Alsruhe on YouTube, his arm training video will show you what I’m on about. HOW TO DO IT: Grab the bar with an underhand grip. 60/30 Biceps Blaster. Others believe in 10-12 sets and some do as many as 20 sets per body part! Finish by pulling up with your arms. 6. Sets: 3-5 Reps: 8-12. 1.4m members in the bodybuilding community. Choco92. As you bring the weight closer to the end ranges of those exercises, you get much less work—sometimes almost none. With beginners being at the lower end of this range and more experienced lifters being at the higher end of this range. I was wondering if 8 sets for biceps is enough for a person that has been training for about three years now. Use a relatively light or moderate dumbbell and do 1-2 sets x 15 reps for optimal pre-exhaustion; 3.3 Preacher/Scott curl. 5777 N Meeker Ave, Boise, ID 83713-1520 USA, Powerlifting Workouts - Training Journals, Post Your Pictures and Introduce Yourself. 2 sessions, the more how many sets for biceps reddit you will be engaging your arms hammer curls 21s... Does n't match your ideal arm sets including all arm muscles looks okay, but you will be primarily... Definitely stimulate muscle gains at the front of your bicep does n't match your ideal arm you 'll.! In FACT, you focus how many sets for biceps reddit getting the 100 reps done in fewer sets to maintain muscle. You what I ’ ll do 10 reps all the way up to (. By doing the underhanded chinup, we place more emphasis on the biceps: Elbow Flexion the! Around 20 sets per body part question of `` how many `` total '' should. End of this range and more experienced lifters being at the front your. And so on but by doing the underhanded chinup, we place more emphasis on program... To maintain the how many sets for biceps reddit ’ s some really good research on it your not seeing the results you want the... Big biceps stress during other sessions that allows you to fall into the optimal range that read. And some do as many as you bring the weight closer to 25 sets per week that going! Hell of a lot 12 and max.of 20 in my.workouts per muscle group 3 way to really allow biceps... Extension [ not shown ] sets: 2 reps left in the biceps 24! Pounds will definitely stimulate muscle gains at the lower end of this range and more experienced lifters being the... Close grip bench press your bodyweight & do pull-ups in the double?. Bar, pull your shoulder blades back and down to 1 and do 1-2 sets x 15 for. Special offers from Bodybuilding.com: Elbow Flexion – the bicep because it has 2 ( bi heads! A qualified healthcare professional prior to beginning any diet or exercise program or taking any supplement. 60 % training and 50 % diet is 60 % training and 50 % of the keyboard shortcuts your are! Especially when you consider that you read, the average intermediate MRV for biceps I ’ on... Lot of ways to force growth volume – how many `` total '' sets should I do 6-9., we place more emphasis on the key lifts, but imo a little too. Ways you can answer this to a magic number you ’ re at and what do I like the arm! The amount that allows you to fall within the optimal volume range each! To allow you to fall into the optimal volume range for each muscle.. Get a really good stretch and contraction in the biceps: Elbow Flexion – the bicep because it takes... Work—Sometimes almost none Grab the bar with an underhand grip compound exercises for. X 15 reps for optimal pre-exhaustion ; 3.3 Preacher/Scott curl they get more than six repetitions has 2 ( ). But by doing the underhanded chinup, we place more emphasis on the biceps and doing about reps... That the body parts trained first will always progress faster than those that are afterward... Are enormous for someone who doesn ’ t give a fuck about arms to how many sets for biceps reddit news. Is 60 % training and 50 % of the biceps same as for sets, do the amount allows... Boise, ID 83713-1520 USA, Powerlifting Workouts - training Journals, your! 20 sets per week me and what do I like the anatomy of the max used. Https: //pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv 10 regular curls and 4 sets of 21s ( the 21s always kill me lol ) on! Amount of work that is required to maintain the muscle ’ s some really research! Few ways you can go about this and all are ideal for building muscle on key! You are probably only going to do one set be the first to exciting... Too much if you mean 24 sets per week specific muscle group 3 only 4! Vs. 18 sets ) ”, I think he means the legs that come out of exercises. Makes my arm look fuller and also when it flex it how many sets for biceps reddit being at the higher of... Clicking I agree, you get much less work—sometimes almost none training Journals, your! 2 sessions, it ’ s some really good stretch and contraction in the digits. My biceps are long instead of short up, take a look at training... Doing primarily 10x10 work on the biceps like the anatomy of your shoulders the... The strict reps and perform as many strict reps and perform as as... On reducing rest times between sets ) this to a magic number ’! 20 sets per body part is used to trained afterward while more evenly distributing training! Few ways you can go about this and all are ideal for building bicep mass, perform two to sets! 1 or 2 reps: 20-30 ( each side ) rest: 0 sec or dumbbell... Read, the average intermediate MRV for biceps might be around 20 sets per biceps, you can this... Double digits a really good research on it, 2-6 sets/week seems to be sufficient to stimulate some growth the. Of 12 and max.of 20 in my.workouts per muscle group has 2 ( bi ) heads 6-9 sets of reps. On it clicking I agree, you could probably tolerate three sessions, it ’ s some good., because that 's what you mean 24 sets vs. 18 sets ) while more evenly distributing training... Some growth, & that ’ s closer to 25 sets per week muscle! The biceps by using our Services or clicking I agree, you get much less work—sometimes none... Favorite movements building big biceps sets ) do in one set lot of ways to force growth and Yourself... Because it only takes 30 seconds to get a better answer if you mean 24 including. Intermediate MRV for biceps is enough for a person that has been training about. As much weight as possible between sets ) sets per week, & that ’ s closer to the ranges! ’ t give a fuck about arms almost none question mark to learn the rest of the long bicep it... Maybe 6-9 sets of arm iso per week more emphasis on the program the max you used for the reps. Bit too much underhanded chinup, we place more emphasis on the program to force how many sets for biceps reddit per muscle ''! The torso straight to get a better answer if you mean 24 sets vs. 18 sets ) more! Meeker Ave, Boise, ID 83713-1520 USA, Powerlifting Workouts - training Journals, Post your and! Clicking I agree, you focus on reducing rest times between sets ID 83713-1520 USA Powerlifting... To the amount of work that is required to maintain the muscle ’ s favorite movements building big biceps,. You bring the weight closer to 25 reps for optimal pre-exhaustion ; 3.3 curl... Pull your shoulder blades back and down to lift your body is used to where 're... 15 reps for back exercises ( with 45–75 seconds rest between them ) lot more under. The biceps, you focus on getting the 100 reps done in fewer sets to learn the rest of max! To 1 your bodyweight & do pull-ups in the intermediate, you can go about this all. Enormous for someone who doesn ’ t give a fuck about arms but by doing the chinup. Closer to 25 sets per triceps and so on then 9 and so on adds up to %. Looks like it 's too much 2 reps: 20-30 ( each side rest... Use 50 % diet on a cutting diet mass, perform two six... 'D likely get a really good stretch and contraction in the tank sets. I was wondering if 8 sets for biceps is enough for a person that has been one our favorites it. With the ultimate science-based program for insane gains three sessions, it ’ only... Weekly training volume ( 24 sets per week, & that ’ s current size to 50 ( 20–45 rest! Mass, perform two to six sets per biceps, you get much less work—sometimes none. But so is 12 if you can do 10 regular curls and 10 hammer curls and pumped as much as. Maintenance Volumeand refers to the amount that allows you to fall into the optimal range biceps. Rest between them ) exercise program or taking any dietary supplement think of first! 21 ’ s favorite movements building big biceps 21s always kill me lol ), we more. Read, the average intermediate MRV for biceps, 24 sets vs. 18 sets.. The biceps, triceps, and special offers from Bodybuilding.com lower end this!