Psalms 119 1 - Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,who walk according to The LORD's law. All rights reserved. Mar 26, 2012. - Almost every verse mentions God’s Word in some way – it may be written as His “word,” “ways,” “statutes,” “decrees,” “law,” “precepts,” “commands,” or “promise” – but it’s in some way mentioned through most all of the verses. Aug 9, 2014 - Explore Greg Huiting's board "Psalms 119:105" on Pinterest. The psalm is an acrostic. ; Psalm 119 contains more verses than 16 of the books in the New Testament. Where needed, I include verses that the lectionary skipped. If I'm a Christian, Why am I Still Facing Tough Times? Even after this third pleading the prayer occurs again in so many words in Psalms 119:124; Psalms 119:139, and the same longing conics out near the close of the Psalm in Psalms 119:171 — "My lips shall utter praise when thou hast taught me thy statutes." To keep Your precepts diligently. The author of Psalm 119 is unknown, but most scholars agree that it was written by David, Ezra, or Daniel. Psalm 117 is the 117th psalm of the Book of Psalms.In Latin, it is known as Laudate Dominum. Trivia Quiz - Psalm 119 Category: Psalms Quiz #126,486. In looking deeper, we can discover so much wisdom, hidden gems that reveal the richness of our God coming to life through its words. In the Greek Septuagint and the Latin Vulgate version of the Bible this psalm is Psalm 116 in a different numbering system Each volume is between 500 and 600 pages, with a total of 1,677 pages. 1. Living in the freedom and knowledge of God’s ways, obeying His law above all else, and keeping in step with His commandments is the only way to truly live wise, strong lives. It stands as the giant among the Psalms--it is the longest psalm and the longest chapter in the Bible--176 verses. This celebrated Psalm has several peculiarities. It has a legend attached . 15 questions, rated Tough. The Hebrew alphabet thus helped those who memorized the psalm to remember the order of the parts. Available Formats. 118:8 is the center verse of the Bible, “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.” Others have said that Psalm 117 seems to be the center point, with these 2 verses, “Praise the LORD, all nations; Laud Him, all peoples! It has 22 stanzas because there are 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet. Thank you for the great richness and Truth of Your Word. Each section contains 8 stanzas, beginning with the appropriate Hebrew letter. As far as our views, desires, and affections agree with what is here expressed, they come from the influences of the Holy Spirit, and no further. Help us to love your words, to hide them within our hearts. Important themes, found throughout its 176 verses, focus on the Truth and necessity of God's Word and on His very character. It has a legend attached. א Aleph. Study the bible online using commentary on Psalm 119 and more! JOD: The Tenth Part. For more info: www.davidteems.com www.biblestudytools.com Recently Featured. Psalm 119. ; Psalm 119 contains more verses than 13 of the books in the Old Testament. May our lives be faithful to living each day according to your ways. But, don’t let the length of the chapter hinder you. 1. Regardless of writer, Psalm 119 has some very special qualities. Text: Explanation: This psalm is an acrostic. Footnotes. Regardless of writer, Psalm 119 has some very special qualities. Meditate frequently upon them (Psalm 119:15): "I will meditate," etc. All verses are from the NLT Life Application Study Bible. Join her each morning on Fresh Day Ahead's facebook page, DebbieWebbMcDaniel, for daily encouragement in living strong, free, hope-filled lives. It is full of praise and adoration for Scripture. Found in the center of God's Word, Psalm 119 is the longest chapter of the Bible. 8. John Piper Mar 26, 2012 7.1K Shares Sermon. Biblical Commentary (Bible study) Psalm 119 EXEGESIS: INTRODUCTION: My usual practice when writing the commentary for a Biblical passage is to treat each verse or phrase individually––albeit with an introduction to help the reader appreciate the context. - This Psalm is actually written as an acrostic poem. 12. INSPIRATIONAL. Pastor Psalm Okpe Of Fresh Oil Ministry And The Singer That Died In Benin Hotel / Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them / Psalm 23 In Pidgin (1) ( Reply ) ( Go Down ) 17 Facts You Need To Know About Psalm 23 by Walspring : 2:02am On Oct 12 , 2014 << /Length 5 0 R /Filter /FlateDecode >> Or we skip forward to something else, or just read a verse here or there, but possibly never look at the entire chapter as a whole, or think about who wrote it, and what the real point of it even is. The opening 2 verses remind us, that we are "blessed" as we walk in His Truth, and seek him with our whole heart. Psalm 119:100 - I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts. Psalm 119 is the 119th psalm of the Book of Psalms, generally known in English by its first verse, in the King James Version, "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord. The author is certainly one who experienced great affliction in life, since persecution of those who hold fast to the Word of God is a theme carried throughout. 119:11, “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.” Ps. Hence it is used … In fact, in at least one verse (10), the psalm refers to “seeking” (d-r-sh) God, just as earlier biblical texts do. CAREER GUIDE. Psalm 119:11 - Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. This Psalm is focused on praising God for the Bible. ; Psalm 119:33 Or follow it for its reward; Psalm 119:37 Two manuscripts of the Masoretic Text and Dead Sea Scrolls; most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text life in your way 1 # 119:1 This psalm is an acrostic poem of twenty-two stanzas, following the letters of the Hebrew alphabet; within a stanza, each verse begins with the same Hebrew letter Blessed are those whose # Prov. The verses of each stanza begin with the same … These 176 verses are split up into 22 parts, and each of those 22 parts, one for each letter of the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet. before God’s call to liberate the Hebrew people from Egypt. This entire section of God’s Word is Sovereignly placed at a significant and pivotal point in the Bible and we would be wise to study it carefully. Psalm 119:9-16 inductive Bible study for small groups. David Powlison observes, “Psalm 119 is actually not about the topic of getting Scripture into your life. 119 may have been written by David, or possibly Daniel. Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor's wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). We know how busy life can be, so we’ve kept each lesson short and sweet (10-15 minutes per day). Bible Facts – Miscellaneous Facts The Bible contains 1189 chapters. Psalm 119 is remarkable for how often it refers to God’s written revelation, His word. At one time or another while I was growing up, I memorized all five verses of Psalm 100, all six verses of Psalm 23, and just three of the one hundred seventy-six verses of Psalm 119. All too often, maybe simply because of its length, we read through it too quickly. 2 Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, Who seek Him with the b whole heart! 3 - Yes, they do nothing wrong.They walk in his ways. Psalm 119:1 This psalm is an acrostic poem, the stanzas of which begin with successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet; moreover, the verses of each stanza begin with the same letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The Anatomy of Backsliding Sunday Evening Message. I cried to You; save me And I shall keep Your testimonies. Another famous chapter in this book is Psalm 119. Article Images Copyright ©, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. 120 My body trembles because I have respect for you. Psalm 119 was written somewhere between 2400-3000 years ago. Will I Still Be Married to My Spouse in Heaven? Deeply reflect on them (Psalm 119:16): "I will have respect," etc. • 2 by Solomon. Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the whole Bible. Important themes, found throughout its 176 verses, focus on the Truth and necessity of God's Word … Shareaverse.wordpress.com An Explanation of Psalm 119 Interesting facts: Psalm 119 is made up of 176 verses making it the longest psalm as well as the longest chapter in the Bible. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. 119:105, “All your words are true, all your righteous laws are eternal.” Ps. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord. Psalm 119 is not only the longest chapter in the book of Psalms, but of the entire Bible. stream He testifies of God's worksâ his wondrous worksâ Christ's work for us; the Holy Spirit's work in us. 2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart. (There they are, up at the top of the page. Law (torah, used 25 times in Psalm 119): "Its parent verb means ‘teach' or ‘direct'; therefore coming from God it means both ‘law' and ‘revelation.' An acrostic poem in Hebrew is one in which the initial letters of the lines form the alphabet in order. Psalm 119 was written somewhere between 2400-3000 years ago. Psalm 119:112 - I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, even unto the end. Available Formats. How simple are simple instructions? How to Delight in God’s Word. Psalm 119 is recited or read with special solemnity at Orthodox funeral services and on the various All-Souls Days occurring throughout the year, with “Alleluia” chanted between each verse. 7. It is referred to in Hebrew by its opening words, "Ashrei temimei derech". “Thy hands”: Figuratively refers to God’s involvement in human life (Psalm 139:13-16). Psalm 119 reminds us that God's very charcter is reflected through His Word, He is Righteous, He is Faithful, He is Unchanging, He is True. 101:2, 6] way is blameless, Others have suggested that Psa. There have been many lengthy works written on this Psalm; one of them is by Thomas Manton, a Puritan preacher and writer, who wrote a three-volume work on Psalm 119. 20 Facts About God Found in the Bible By Mary Fairchild, About.com Do you want to know more about God? It is divided into twenty-two parts or stanzas, denoted by the twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet. v. 1-2, “How can a young man keep his way pure? He was given much responsibility to lead, sent by the King Artaxerxes, to set up a program of religious education for the people. (Deuteronomy 33:27; Jeremiah 10:10; Psalm 90:2) 2. The longest verse is Esther 8:9, and the … Can Loved Ones in Heaven Look Down on You? There are 22 stanzas or sections, equal to 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet, with 8 verses each, and a total of 176 verses. However, unlike the other acrostics, which contain only one verse for each of the 22 Hebrew letters, Psalm 119 includes eight verses for each letter, making a total of 176 verses! Christ our Surety, having paid our debt and ransom, secures all the blessings of salvation to every true believer. The Old Testament has 929 chapters and the New Testament has 260 chapters. Come along and take a quiz on this great chapter in Psalms. After all, at 176 verses, it is extraordinarily long. Psalm 119:73 "Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments." PSALM 119 . *�p�?��+7��`���#����������g�����p`K��g�����7��P� ߒ�?��#/��F�T?����G��h��m�4!s��o���Hi�C1ѹ��?+a�H7�ȻG3��0��2�8涱���O��qX~�����}����/$���� a�]P\��Q_n��'�ķ&�MH@�0�a_�� ��յ]��^!�G • 12 were by Asap. Psalm 119 This, the longest Bible chapter, expresses the importance of God's law. • 10 were by the sons of Korah. Bible / BibleStudyTools Video; Share Tweet. Psalm 119:53 Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law. Scripture: Psalm 119:71. How to take Minutes. 5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes! A more complete understanding of “law” is to see it as God’s instruction or teaching. The Book of Psalms is sometimes called Tehillim which means “Book of praises” or Bible within the Bible because it … 4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently. Psalm 119 is the longest poem in the Book of Psalms. Open our eyes that we might see your deep and hidden treasures, and know you more and more. Answer: Containing 176 verses, Psalm 119 is the longest single chapter in the Bible. 15 questions, rated Tough. Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart." Jul 6, 1987. Psalm 119 contains more verses than 16 of the books in the New Testament. For more info: www.davidteems.com www.biblestudytools.com Recently Featured. 4 You have commanded us. Eric McKiddie. God is eternal. In the Greek Septuagint version of the Bible, and in its Latin translation Vulgate, this psalm is Psalm 1 Christians today do not typically share the psalm’s unflagging insistence on (and celebration of) strict adherence to the “law” or torah. %PDF-1.3 Psalm 119 retains this idea of “seeking” (d-r-sh, b-q-sh) as religious expression. Psalm 119, with 176 verses, is the longest Psalm. So I love your covenant laws. There is an ancient tradition that says that the acrostic, alphabetic pattern of the psalm was utilised by King David, who used it to teach his son, Solomon, the Hebrew alphabet. 7. First of all, it has the distinction of being the longest chapter in the Bible. Know this.. CAREER. See more ideas about Psalms, Psalm 119 105, Life facts. See on v1. - The author of this chapter is unknown but some have suggested it may have been Ezra the priest, written at the time that the temple had been rebuilt. It encourages us through every generation to stay close and focused on His Word no matter what swirls around us in this world. It contains 176 verses. 1 Blessed are the 1 undefiled in the way, a Who walk in the law of the Lord! �3c;T����s����Х���'�W�I|m��zh��S��(ņ ��$�����f�B�Hj�2K��e�SY �'���3� }''�q��]�쇲��yCK�B}ݭ�u'2Èxl�W��Z˲��,B�q�.l�����e�lj#)��Y�4��6�!39k���͇g�hr}��C�5u_��-�P��4&�S��P�A�&)�.�j���p�H\�6H�� c�s��#i�?����iW���U ����)Ķ3��Ӏ^p�߬���L�"[`C���Յ���OX�:eϿ�^��v� �dǹb�R'YC_�@ņ�B�8�d�D Ȼt���b2�9Z���d �r��Y����� fH�gQ ���MI'�a��џ��o#j���xj�Fh(�3Zl�ͮ� /�(�p����lI�C9��h'��p�H! The Excellencies of God's Law. The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119, and the shortest is Psalm 117. This idea is derived from Psalm 119:22-23, Psalm 119:25, Psalm 119:28-29, Psalm 119:36, Psalm 119:39, Psalm 119:42-43, Psalm 119:46, Psalm 119:50-51, Psalm 119:53, Psalm 119:56, Psalm 119:67, Psalm 119:72, Psalm 119:74, Psalm 119:78, Psalm 119:83 father on come then man Chapter then I thou man day. David Teems. Psalms 119:1-176. Psalm 119 Psalms Devotions 4. 119:160, “Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.” Ps. Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor's wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). 11:20; 13:6; [Ps. Here are some other fun facts surrounding Psalm 118: The longest chapter of the Bible falls just after this center chapter-- Psalm 119. Scripture: Psalm 119:103. Let it have a due effect on thy own heart (Psalm 119:14), "I have rejoiced," etc. (1) Law – Most people think of the Ten Commandments when the word “law” arises. 9. His Word is sharper than any two-edged sword. QUICK FACTS ABOUT PSALM 119 • Longest Psalm, longest chapter in the entire Bible. Though the life of Ezra may not be the most well known in the Bible, he was extremely important and greatly used by God at a time in history when the Israelites desperately needed a faithful, strong leader. The powerful promises of Psalm 119 teach us how to commune with God in the good times and the bad, revealing the critical role God’s Word is to play in our day-to-day lives. Find her also on Twitter and at her blogdebbiemcdaniel.com. • Almost half (73 Psalms) are attributed to David. Ezra lived his days out of a deep, personal commitment to God, not simply seeking his own personal gain. But writing the commentary for this passage was a challenge due to the length of Take your time. The verses of each stanza begin with the same letter of each of the Hebrew alphabet, such as “Aleph,” “Beth,” “Gimel,” and so on. Full of wonder at God’s Word. I have great respect for your laws. This site is a proud member of the Salem Web Network, a subsidiary of, Copyright © 2020, Crosswalk.com. By laughinggirl. If I'm a Christian, Why am I Still Facing Tough Times? 4 0 obj 119 You throw away all the sinners on earth as if they were trash. This Psalm is the longest chapter in the whole Bible, and has 176 verses. Choose one to start playing: Take Quiz: Single Page HTML format. Known as “the Everest of the Psalter”. I will keep thy statutes — It is my full purpose so to do, whatsoever it may cost me. This fourth section of Psalms Devotions continues with Psalm 119. Knowing God's Truth. 10 Easy Ways to Get it Back, 10 Things the Bible Says about the Mark of the Beast, 6 Things to Know about the Messianic Prophecies of Jesus, A Prayer for Families Going through Divorce This Christmas, 6 Ways to Protect Your Peace This Christmas. Maybe you know them, too.) About 1,000 years later, the last of the Psalms (including 137) were written and added to the biblical canon. Psalm 119 is actually written as an acrostic poem. Read Psalm 119 commentary using The Treasury of David. )�G��|Ż^H�4G,Q��UFp4�����$�Q,����j0�����5qwbr߅F0-r8J)��w�2B��^t�f�wm�c����b�[@6# A�^��+�G�g#[�Ep^Aϑ�eGL~��kΎ6����p�`6�r����YxȅՃ��6��� +�A��=Œ�l�. 3. Choose one to start playing: Take Quiz: Single Page By laughinggirl. This is a recognition by the psalmist of the fact that he was created by God. As we read the Psalm, it will help to understand the 8 terms that are frequently mentioned. The shortest chapter of the Bible falls just after this center chapter-- Psalm 117. (90) • 1 by Herman.