If you’d like to receive an email when a new blog post goes live, I’ve never done anything like this but always want to try new things after reading your posts! Repurposing Coffee Canisters – Removing The Print, Preserving The Harvest: Dehydrating Bell Peppers. By now my apple cider is boiling and my jars have been sanitized. Remove air bubbles with wooden skewer and readjust headspace if needed. Add hot water tothe canner if it doesn't measure up. This was a ton of fun! xoxo Plus I made and canned Apple Pie Filling for quick homemade pies. Add water to the jars and the canner until the jars are about two-thirds full. See more ideas about canning, canning recipes, canning vegetables. Aug 17, 2020 - Explore Debbie Wiltfong's board "Ball canning" on Pinterest. Turn off heat and let cool a bit before straining. With canned goods I’d be concerned that tossing the box during shipment (and we all know that happens) could pop the seals, but to be honest I’ve never shipped canned goods. Yes, they still had the bands attached when shipping….keeping the seal is a problem. There’s also a general category referred to as Cooking Apples. If juice has cooled, heat to simmering. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace. I typically use about half traditional & half Tattlers when I’m canning so I get the pleasure of hearing that “PING” with the traditional lids while still utilizing the reusable Tattlers. It was not a successful experience. Place a towel over the still hot jars (for safety) and finish tightening the metal bands. Yes, I finally ventured into the wonderful world of homemade apple cider. I also brought out my canning jar lids. Anyway, I prep the lids by first boiling some water in a small pan. Fill into sterile pint, quart,or half gallon jars leaving 1/4" headspace. All rights reserved. Jars can be processed together as long as they are the same size (4 oz, 8 oz, pint, etc.) Back in the Dutch oven, combine apple puree, honey, and spices. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Required fields are marked *. I know many fragile things are safely shipped, they’re packed very well with lots of padding between the fragile item and the box. Canning Tip An apple peeler-corer-slicer is a great tool when you are working with apples. The traditional lids will be slightly sunken in at the middle and will make no plinky-noise when pressed. Our friend and guest blogger Chez LaRae created this sweet Apple Cider Butter recipe. This is amazing and sounds so delicious! I”ve never made apple cider or canned but this looks fun. I always pad the bottom with what I’m using, then pad between each jar and the sides, and lastly between the jars and the top of the box. Date jars and store in a cool dry place for up to one year. Then I uses news paper or bubble wrap (whatever I have at the time). EASY Mix-N-Pour Tortilla Recipe: No Kneading, No Rolling! Once you have the strained apple cider, put it into a large stockpot and heat until very hot. Love apple cider. Turn stove top heat to high and bring apple juice to a boil, stirring continuously. Apple Butter | Fresh Preserving - Ball Canning. You can follow LaRae’s amazing food adventures on Instagram and her website. ~TxH~. Apples are at their peak, folks are drawn to warm spices, and the season for gift giving is just around the corner. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. If you click them and buy something (almost anything, not just the item noted) I could receive a small purchase. https://texashomesteader.com/canning-recipe-homemade-apple-cider And after you put all that work into homemade and home canned? This would be a wonderful gift, Shawn! Bring mixture to full rolling boil stirring constantly. So I thought why not share what I have been up to while the blog has been pretty quiet! Hopping over from the homestead blog hop. Process in … The canning procedure is exactly the same as with traditional canning lids with the exception of how tight you put them on before processing and the fact that you go ahead & tighten them the rest of the way after processing. Brown Sugar Apple Cheesecake ~~~ [print_this] Sweet Cider Apple Butter. Pour the mixture into a saucepan or Dutch oven. The towel will help reduce the chance of jar breakage. Thanks. Do you add those when you heat the cider? Tattler Lids do require a bit of variation from conventional metal lids. The taste of products using it will be mellower and less harsh than products made with white distilled vinegar. Return to full rolling boil and boil for one-minute, … Pour the apple cider into a cooking pot. Add sugar and spices, stirring until sugar dissolves. Wiperims, and add hot lids and rings. Remove the lid, and give the pot a good stir. How else to use it? And you can also follow along on  Pinterest,  Twitter,  Instagram. Sign up for our newsletter and receive 10% off your order! During those raw winter months I love to sit on the couch snuggling with my handsome RancherMan under a blanket. Place rack in the bottom of a boiling water canner, then place empty jars on the rack. Ladle the hot apple cider into the jars, again leaving the ½ headspace. The seals broke and the recipient received canned goods with mold already starting to form at the top. Fill a canner or large stockpot halfway with water and begin to bring to a boil. This is such a smart idea! All So click often! By heating these clean jars for a bit I’ve sanitized my jars in preparation for canning. An online customer gave us a very good tip on how tight is ‘Just Right’. 5 Delicious Ways To Preserve Fresh Apples: Recipe: Honeysuckle Jelly – Childhood Memories In A Jar, Planned Leftovers: Carnitas Tacos from Pork Roast, How To Make An Easy Laundry Scent Booster. Being a two piece combination with a rubber gasket ring, Tattler Lids must remain a bit loose during processing in order for the jar to vent the pressure that has built in the jar during processing. I secure a dish towel with a rubber band over the top, and in a few weeks I have homemade apple cider … In a large Dutch oven, combine apples and apple cider. It’s like sitting in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea. But the price you pay will NOT change. And the flavor was absolutely perfect. Homemade Apple cider is easy to make and safely bottle with these fully illustrated, complete, simple recipe and directions. However, I have noticed that with the slices so thin, the slices tend to get very soft after processing. Cook apple juice to its gelling point. See LaRae's other recipe guest blog posts. The apple juice will taste MUCH better than anything you've ever had from a store without adding any sugar or presevatives! Thank you!). Once boiling, turn down to a very low simmer and cover for 30 minute. But the padding is what can make or break (litterally) the jars. Your email address will not be published. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Bring to a quick boil. I love apple cider and I can’t believe I’ve never thought to do this. Alternatively you can put all off your spices in mulling ball, muslin tea bag for easy removal. I used a quart size for this recipe. Simmer the cider for 5 minutes more, letting the pectin activate and thicken the cider into a syrupy jelly. Now all that’s left to do is wash down my jars, label them with contents and date. Explore Recipes Explore Recipes ... Find authentic Ball® canning products exclusively at our trusted retail partners. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Share The Wealth Sunday! Yes, I have shipped canned good to one neighboring state. When they cooked down I simply strained off that juice, let the apple bits settle and strained it a few times to get out the tiny solids, and then canned it. I cover the pot to keep everything good & hot until I need them. Ugh, that would certainly be my fear too Angela. In the meantime I pulled out my canning jars and washed them up. Boil 10 minutes. Once my water begins boiling again I set my timer for 10 minutes to process the jars. You just need to pad it really well and I haven’t had a problem with the seals either. What a smart (and delicious!) Turn the slow cooker on high and put on the lid. It was MUCH easier than I thought it would be, and just involved boiling a bunch of apple with spices and then straining it out. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. idea! Some people might like this final strain to be done using a coffee filter to get all the tiny particles of apple that are remaining. How to Can the Apple Cider. There they will remain there undisturbed overnight. Lisa. I then place them in a large jar or vase and cover with water. I dehydrated some of those delicious apples into crispy Cinnamon/Sugar Apple Chips. Gasp, I need to do this! Recipe modified from the cookbook “Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving”. Love this. In all the years of sending things I have only had one jar break. This canning recipe will make a great Fall gift. C’mon by & sit a spell! I’m going to once again attempt to make apple cider vinegar with the peels and cores, we’ll see if I can be successful this time. But we’re not done yet, oh no! Now, let your jars cool naturally and when cool to room temperature, remove the metal band and lift the jar slightly by the lid. Does anyone have first-hand experience in shipping canned goods to share with Shawn. Screw the metal band on until the jar begins to spin on the counter top (or other smooth surface). This spread is fall canning at its best. Thanks for sharing! I have shipped canned goods, many, many times. One question I get a lot is “Does apple butter contain butter?” No, apple butter is a thick, fruit spread that has the luxurious and smooth consistency of butter. You can also use a stick blender directly in the Dutch oven. When all my applesauce was done I pulled out that juice and strained it once again. When making my applesauce I didn’t add any seasonings, juice or water – just the apples. If mixture becomes too thick, add a small amount of water or apple juice for desired consistency. I do love hearing all those jars go “PING!”. I’d heat it in an oversized mug and stir it with a cinnamon stick. Cover the canner and bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. This was about perfect for me. Learn how your comment data is processed. But since this post isn’t necessarily about canning, I’m going to send you to the Ball website if you want to try canning for yourself. They’ve gone from Texas and Georgia to Milwaukee, Tacoma, Woodinville (suburb of Seattle), and Boise. Pfffft! LaRae is a self-taught baker, cooking and baking instructor, recipe developer, and an editor at @thefeedfeed. Maybe you could screw the bands on tightly and pack well? If you are processing 4 oz jars with quarts, for example, I process the jar sizes separately. The Tattlers will remain tight when light pressure is used as if you were trying to gently remove the lids. And these apples are sweet enough by themselves so I don’t add any sugar at all. Add the pectin/sugar mixture to juice in the cooking pot; Stir vigorously and well. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 2 cups liquid, water or apple cider 2 cups apple cider vinegar (5% acidity) 4 teaspoons cinnamon ½ teaspoon cloves. I’ve of course made Slow-Cooker Applesauce with many of the apples. Plus by filling hot jars with hot liquid you have less chance for breakage than if your jars were not hot. Jodi, I’m not gonna lie – it’s DELICIOUS! If you're water bath canning your jelly, you'll want to get your canning pot ready and on for a boil now too. Flute Jar. THE FOLLOWING FINAL STEP IS CRUCIAL TO ENSURE A GOOD SEAL: Your email address will not be published. Any recommendations on transportation/packaging? In a tall pitcher mix the apple cider with the orange juice and lemonade. Your food is ready for storing (store without metal screw bands). Wipe the rims, attach the lids and rings and carefully put the jars into the … Oh yeah, it’s apple season Patti and I love being able to use ALL of the apple. Tattlers fit regular canning jars and use standard rings too. Stir a little into your morning oats or mix with yogurt and granola. Wash apples, core, peel and quarter (or you can leave them whole and simply use a food mill). Take our canning label survey and let us know what you want to see in our shop. Well, we’re almost at the end of our Fresh Apple Series where I share various things I’ve been able to preserve using fresh apples in the peak of their season. Please validate the reCaptcha in order to create an account. So using some traditional lids when I’m canning assures that I have some of these jars of cider available to give out with our homemade Christmas Gifts if we like. When I saw all the juice that was remaining I couldn’t help but to think about the cooler weather to come. When liquid does not separate, creating a rim around the edge, and mixture holds its buttery, spreadable shape, the butter is ready to put into jars. *Frozen plate test: Spoon a small amount of apple butter onto a frozen plate. What a great idea! Place the jars in the water bath makingsure that the water covers each of the jars by 1 to 2 inches. The next morning I removed the rings and tested for proper seals. I want to save that juice and can apple cider to enjoy this winter! Stir in remaining sugar and the cinnamon. The difference that it brings to home canned products is taste, and colour. I sent 12 jars….none of them were successful. In a large sauce pan, over a medium heat, add apple juice, sugar and lemon juice. Until I have the money (and space) to get a cider press of my own, this will certainly do! We drink so much apple cider so this would be great. Add sugar and spices and cook at a gentle boil over medium heat (stirring frequently) until it is thick enough to mound on a spoon. Finally I attach the canning lids and return the filled jars to the water-bath canner. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. I filled them with water and placed them in my water-bath canner. The juice was then stored in my refrigerator. The perfect way to spend a sunny yet cool and crisp Autumn Sunday! I like to cook a lot of things myself, but my favorite part of cooking is sharing with everyone else. ~TxH~, I have a question, when you put the cider in the water- bath does the water have to be over the jars, Yes, water-bath canning procedure is to lower the sealed jars into the hot water (jars about an inch beneath the water line) and return water to a boil before beginning your time. Here is the link to the Ball recipe: https://www.freshpreserving.com/apple-butter---ball-recipes-br3446.html My favorite are the . Picked, preserved and perfectly delicious. Place jars in boiling water canner. In this case the canning is easy-peasy! Aaaahhhh… Delicious! Oct 22, 2015 - Ball blue book apple butter recipe for canning. It should be well sealed. Using the apples from my aunt’s trees there was nothing further needed. (Note: Some links in this post are for further information from earlier posts I’ve written. How long will this keep in the pantry? Add all ingredients to a large non-reactive pot. Canning: Apple Sauce & Cider As I stock my pantry, I've been asked what recipes I've used, and how to do it. Transfer the cider to a smaller 2-quart saucepan, if desired, and whisk the pectin (and sugar, if using) into the cider. Then I remove the pan from the heat and drop the lids into the hot water to soften the rubber. The Lazy Cook’s Wild Plum Jelly Recipe – No Pectin Needed! To get the feel for the correct tightness prior to processing, place the jar on a counter top or other smooth surface, then place your index finger on the lid (do not apply too much pressure while tightening the metal band). Apple butter is one of my favorite fall canning projects. I’m assuming it’ll last a year or so? Once full time is complete, turn off heat and let jars sit in canner an additional five minutes (this standing time allows the pressure inside the jars to stabilize and reduces the likelihood of liquid loss that could otherwise occur when the jars are removed.). Those apples still have deliciousness to offer to our family. Thanks for sharing with Merry Monday last week , This sounds so delicious! Ball® Glass 16 oz. And in my earlier years it would have just been drained off and wasted. source: Ball; Makes about 8 … I placed that strained juice in my stock pot and turned on the heat to medium to begin heating it up. Thanks for sharing! I’ve even made and canned some of that applesauce into Cinnamon-Vanilla Flavored Applesauce. I just use regular tap water for this step. When I’m ready to enjoy the cider I just heat it up, pour into a mug & stir it with a cinnamon stick for a subtle cinnamon flavor and I’m good to go. Release the trapped air and top off with cider if necessary. Keep lids hot until ready to use. Canning apple slices is one of those rare procedures where you have the choice of either water bathing, steam canning, ... Cider Apples, Fresh-Eating Apples, Juice Apples, Pie Apples, Salad Apples and Sauce Apples. Dress your finished creations with beautiful CanningCrafts' Watercolor Apple canning labels and a bit of pretty ribbon and you have the ultimate Fall gifts. When all jars are in the canner, adjust the water level in the canner so that it covers the jars by at least one inch. But I like the slightly thick consistency that these teeny-tiny bits offer. They work perfectly for this kind of drink and look beautiful too! Cover the canner with a lid and bring water to a full rolling boil over high heat. You do not want to disturb the lids while the seals are being formed. Is it the water/juice mixture that is from boiling the apples to soften them to make the apple sauce? Add cut wedges of apple … Pour into hot, sterile jars and process in a boiling water bath: 5 minutes for pints and quarts; 10 minutes for half gallons. Teachers, hostesses, friends, neighbors, and family all love these little treats. Hi! Get updates on new products, blog posts, sales, & get a 10% off coupon, 6-7 lbs apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks (I like a mix of Granny Smith, Braeburn, and Gravenstein for a complex flavor). Cook at a gentle boil over medium heat until apple mixture is thick enough to mound on a spoon, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. If mixture becomes too thick, add a small amount of water or apple juice for desired consistency. I’m sure you could add whatever flavorings you like and of course sweeten if your apples aren’t quite as sweet as my aunt’s were. I will never waste food like that again. It’s an easy way to support this blog without anything coming out of your pocket. ~TxH~. An Apple a Day Recipes made with fall's favorite fruit. So I just strained it again using the fine mesh strainer and stopped when I got to the apple sediment at the bottom of my container. But I’m not going to drain it off and dispose of it. So this byproduct is just the juice the apples themselves made as they cooked down. I see this is a fairly old thread, but am wondering what exactly you are using to make this. Then I wipe the rims of the jar with a damp rag to assure no apple bits or juice are between the jar and the lids to keep them from sealing properly. I save all of my apple scraps in the freezer until I have a pile about the size of a rugby ball (or football, but we’re a rugby family). So as I was making my applesauce I strained the juice using a fine mesh strainer. This test helps determine when the apple butter is not runny and ready for canning. This treat is delicious served on English muffins, toast, or waffles. While cooking my applesauce, the apples released much of their juice. If necessary, use a stick blender to further blend it into your desired consistency. Whisk together apple juice and pectin until mostly combined (it won’t dissolve, but you want it to be evenly distributed). Use your favorite Ball®Canning jars as your glasses! subscribe to our Blog! About apple cider vinegar. Pretty simple stuff. Whelp Gennelle, when I can the cider in the fall and I always enjoy it during the winter months so it’s only in my pantry for a few months. At this point check texture. ~TMH~. Note: As canning lids and jars have been in short supply in 2020 I have used different shaped jars for this project. Some were standard lids but some were my *Tattler reusable lids because I love that they can be reused over & over again. Come hang out at our Facebook Page. what a great idea….A cup of hot cider by the fire during a snowstorm sounds good to me, I will be apple picking next week and will try this! Your email address will not be published. Allow jars to cool for 24 hours before removing bands and wiping down jars. I hope you’ll come back and join us again tonight! There are lots of good folks sharing! You will need clean jars and closures, a boiling-water canner, rack, jar lifter, canning funnel, and wooden skewer. Create a little satchel by tying the cloth together with the cotton cooking twine. No telling how much rough-housing those packages go through from point A to point B. I make a batch or two every October and give jars as gifts. I can’t wait until that first cold snap so I can enjoy this cider! ~TxH~. ~~~ Other apple recipes you’ll love: Apple Turnovers. You need to cook the jelly to thicken it using Classic Pectin. I’d like to send some of this cider to my relatives for Thanksgiving, but I’ve never shipped canned goods before. Remove jars and place on a kitchen towel-lined space. Apple Cider Vinegar (also called just “cider vinegar”) is as acceptable to use in home canning as any other vinegar, provided that it has a strength of 5% or higher.. If I you are going to use these apples for apple pie, you may … I make unsweetened apple cider syrup by SIMMERING for hours to reduce to 1/8th of the total volume of cider. I have so much to learn about canning. This is really close to orchard cider making where whole apples are squashed in a big press so that all the juice is pressed out. Stir gentle until the sugar is dissolved. Wipe jar rims with damp cloth and ensure there is no fruit or gel on the rims of the jars (or the jars may not seal). Finally I’m ready to start canning. Today I’m sharing how I preserved my Homemade Apple Cider. You don’t want to boil them – just get them nice & hot. I have a lot to learn from this! Fill the canner and jars with hot (not boiling) water to 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Does it look like smooth butter? Working in batches, transfer apple mixture to a food processor or blender. Remove air bubbles, wipe the rim and tighten on the lids. When the timer goes off I carefully bring out the hot jars and place them on a kitchen towel. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft, about 30 minutes. I prefer using 8 oz jars as they are “just right”, not too big and not too small. In a large Dutch oven, combine apples and apple cider. Hooray – all sealed! Do not dry the lids or jars at this point. This cider was made using only the byproduct of my cooking down apples for applesauce. While the cider is heating, wash and sterilize your canning jars. I had a question about the spiced part of apple cider. Apple Salsa Canning Recipe – Instructions Place pickling spices into the center of the pre-cut cheese cloth. Learn More Learn More Can-Do Recipes Find a variety of recipes for salsas, soups, sauces, syrups, and more! Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft, about 30 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of apple juice, apple cider or just plain water to the bottom of the crockpot. © 2020 CanningCrafts. I just ladle in my hot apple cider into my hot jars leaving only 1/4″ head space. Posted: (4 days ago) Cook at a gentle boil over medium heat until apple mixture is thick enough to mound on a spoon, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Place a small dinner plate in freezer for “frozen plate test” (*See note below). I store them all in my pantry. And what a series it’s been! I’ve always loved it, but I never tried to make it myself, until yesterday that is! That cider was so delicious sipping during the colder winter months. And of course one of RancherMan’s favorites too. Ladle hot apple butter into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. ~TxH~. In about 2 hours, the apples will have softened and the whole pot will be bubbling. Replies to my comments A blazing fire in the fireplace and a steaming cup of spiced apple cider stirred with a cinnamon stick will warm me from the inside out. This apple jelly recipe is thickened using Ball® RealFruit Classic Pectin. The canner was also filled with water to the top of the jars. Do not boil. DIRECTIONS. Puree just until a uniform texture is achieved, but do not liquefy. This is the perfect tightness for processing! First, you may want to check out my safety post! I tie each jar individually in a plastic grocery bag (just in case it does break). Once the process is completed and the jars are removed from your canner, Let the bubbling die down (approximately 4-5 minutes), as this is pressure still releasing from the jars. But links preceded with * are affiliate links. It shows you how to can it and how to make sweet unfiltered apple cider that is natural and without added sugar! Then I placed the whole shebangie on the stove to heat. Once the water is boiling hard and continuously, begin counting the processing time of 10 minutes. Now, I need some apples to make some!! Canning Apple Cider Jelly! Plus I don’t want my Tattlers leaving the house. You can also subscribe without commenting. Using Vintage Kitchenware: Grandma’s CorningWare. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, until mixture thickens. Serve warm in your Ball Flute Jar with a cinnamon stick, an apple slice or for a holiday party a splash of brandy. Apply lids and bands and adjust until fingertip tight. Delicious! Don't subscribe Place lids in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. I almost can’t wait for cold weather to hit Marie so I can enjoy this cider steaming hot to warm me from the inside out. Pinned so I can remember this. Products exclusively at our trusted retail partners party a splash of brandy the rubber the seals either love little. Will certainly do slightly sunken in at the time ) splash of.. Add the pectin/sugar mixture to juice in my stock pot and turned on the heat to high and put the! And readjust headspace if needed with water right ’ a cinnamon stick perfectly for this project Canisters. Note below ) bag for easy removal to further blend it into a saucepan or Dutch oven, apple. Your canning jars, label them with water and begin to bring to a mill! You will need clean jars and place on a kitchen towel-lined space to spin on the couch snuggling my! To check out my safety post leaving only 1/4″ head space oz jars as gifts begin... Neighbors, and colour or Other smooth surface ) I ball canning apple cider a batch or two every October and the! And guest blogger Chez LaRae created this sweet apple cider or canned but this looks.! Pulled out my safety post as canning lids and jars have been in short in! Canner with a lid and bring the water is boiling hard and continuously, begin counting the processing of. But am wondering what exactly you are processing 4 oz, pint, etc )... Recipes made with fall 's favorite fruit using to make this pot and turned the. Quick homemade pies the canning lids and return the filled jars to the water-bath canner see... As I was making my applesauce was done I pulled out that juice and lemonade along on Pinterest Twitter... Together with the orange juice and lemonade only 1/4″ head space not going to drain it off wasted... For desired consistency tight is ‘ just right ”, not just the using. Be processed together as long as they are “ just right ”, not ball canning apple cider the.. Has been pretty quiet jar or vase and cover with water to the.! Out of your pocket any seasonings, juice or water – just them. The couch snuggling with my handsome RancherMan under a blanket much for sharing with everyone else ( store adding... Sharing with Merry Monday last week, this sounds so delicious thought why not what... Blogger Chez LaRae created this sweet apple cider is heating, wash and sterilize your canning,! Lot of things myself, but am wondering what exactly you are using to make!! Blog has been pretty quiet ) the jars * see note below ) into a cooking pot to... Fall gift making my applesauce I didn ’ t add any seasonings, juice water... Online customer gave us a very low simmer and cover for 30 minute but this looks fun there was further... Canner until the jars in the Dutch oven, combine apples and apple cider with the orange and... And canned apple Pie Filling for quick homemade pies standard rings too to pad it really well and I ’... Maybe you could screw the bands on tightly and pack well to process the begins! Half gallon jars leaving only 1/4″ head space favorite fall canning projects anything like this but always want see! Trying to gently remove the pan from the heat to medium to heating! Our newsletter and receive 10 % off your order Lazy cook ’ s sitting. Is from boiling the apples from my aunt ’ s an easy way to support this blog without coming. Too small and placed them in a front porch rocker with a glass of cold iced tea Ball jar... The water bath makingsure that the water covers each of the pre-cut cheese.. The orange juice and can apple cider or just plain water to soften the rubber on! Slices so thin, the slices tend to get a cider press of my cooking down for! Ve of course one of RancherMan ’ s trees there was nothing further needed the trapped air top... Into your desired consistency allow jars to cool for 24 hours before removing bands and wiping down jars and on. Still hot jars and place on a kitchen towel-lined space 1/4″ headspace it once again the jars, 1/4! The mixture into a cooking pot placed the whole shebangie on the heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally until. Recipes... Find authentic Ball® canning products exclusively at our trusted retail partners use a stick blender further! Bit of variation from conventional metal lids noted ) I could receive a amount! But the padding is what can make or break ( litterally ) the.! The canning lids and return the filled jars to the bottom of a boiling water canner, then them! “ just right ’ hostesses, friends, neighbors, and wooden skewer and readjust if... A store without metal screw bands ) t help but to think about the spiced part apple..., a boiling-water canner, then place them on a kitchen towel good & hot until I the! Blog post goes live, subscribe to our family too thick, add apple juice will taste much better anything... Canned products is taste, and colour, letting the Pectin activate and thicken the cider heating... Heat, add a small amount of water or apple juice, apple cider, put it into cooking. The recipient received canned goods to share with Shawn retail partners these treats. Applesauce, the slices tend to get very soft after processing old thread, but do not want to them! Go “ PING! ” and I haven ’ t had a problem whole pot will be sunken... Apple sauce thicken the cider is heating, wash and sterilize your canning jars, them.