When spring comes to the mountains it is a very busy time for Park Rangers. If you can get to Tacoma, Washington, it's about $100 for an Uber to Longmire (or $150 from Seattle) – not terrible if you're a group of four. If you have any suggestions for new foods to try, let me know in the comments! How many days does it take to hike the Wonderland Trail? Wonderland. Freeze-thaw conditions (max 11°C on Fri afternoon, min -1°C on Sat night). I appreciate any insight. The Wonderland Trail, which circumnavigates Mt. There's no shortage of mountains to be explored in Washington (or of Sasquatch to be found). I'm always looking to improve my hiking guides (and, more specifically, Wonderland Trail-specific information), if you have any suggestions to improve or update this guide, please leave a comment below or get in touch. This was the last cold day with a possibility of light rain, but nothing like day one. Mowich Lake is a free, primitive campground (pit toilets) with a self-registration booth in the parking lot. Light rain (total 9mm), mostly falling on Fri afternoon. 5 ℃ / 41 ℉ Fri. 4 ℃ / 39 ℉ High & Low Tide. Wed. 4 ℃ / 39 ℉ Thu. This is a rough image of the route.I'll be starting at and departing at White River TH. Luckily, there are three frontcountry campsites spaced fairly evenly around the Wonderland Trail, Mowich Lake Campground, Cougar Rock Campground, and White River Campground. 7 ℃ / 45 ℉ Forecast. If there is bad weather the day of your appointment, it will be rescheduled or you will be issued a credit for a future date. Heavy rain (total 21mm), heaviest during Fri afternoon. This is a GPS track for the Wonderland Trail. Between Mowich Lake Campground and Carbon River Camp there is a popular alternative to the Wonderland Trail via the Spray Park Trail. These permits can be issued the same day as your trip's start date or one day before – no earlier. Moderate rain (total 15mm), heaviest on Fri morning. Downloaded the Guthook's Wonderland Trail app. We look forward to riding with you! Sunrise over the Cascade mountains to the east shone strands of warmth as early as 7:00 … Winners are announced in mid-June and can then purchase a single, day-long permit to drive as far as the weather permits. The Long-range 12 day forecast also includes detail for Wonderland weather today. So far, I heared that it'll likely be snowed in and from another person, that it'll be fine. The closer to the park you get, the easier (presumably) it will be to score a ride. It is a strenuous hike with lots of elevation gain and loss, through lowland forests and valleys and into high alpine and sub-alpine areas. June and September are also relatively dry, at least compared to the rest of the year, but you can also expect slightly lower temperatures during these months. There is also a cool box canyon next to the road between Snow Creek and Nickel Creek (there are also bathrooms and trash cans here). Depending on this last weather cell pushing through, either Tomorrow (9/15) or Monday (9/16) I will attempt the Wonderland Trail unsupported & solo around Mt Rainier, carrying my own gear/food and getting water from natural sources. They are: NOTE: After September 28, permits are only available at Longmire (daily) or the Jackson Visitor Center at Paradise (weekends only). Hopefully, you found this post useful. Trip: Got a permit for a counterclockwise route over 7 days for the Wonderland Trail the second week of August this year!Fingers crossed everything is open by then. Moderate rain (total 18mm) heaviest on Mon night, then becoming colder with a dusting of snow on Tue night. July and August are the driest and warmest months in Mount Rainier National Park. There are four locations where Wonderland Trail hikers can cache food: Food caches can be dropped off in-person prior to the beginning of your hike or mailed ahead to the park. Weather reports submitted by any ship (SYNOP) that is close to Wonderland within an acceptable time window are also included. Hikers opting to take Spray Park will miss the climb up and over Ipsut Pass (5,118 ft / 1,560 m), and will instead climb to 6,400 ft / 1,951 m on the western slope of Mount Rainier. There are a number of different starting points for the Wonderland Trail and it can be hiked clockwise or counterclockwise. Hikers can find both company and solitude along the way. Carbonado, WA 98323, Mount Rainier National Park Submit. Rangers cannot tell you that. A backcountry permit for Mount Rainier National Park allows for a maximum stay of 14 nights, which means that if you want to complete the Wonderland Trail on a single permit, you will need to average at least 6.64 mi / 10.69 mi per day. The Wonderland Trail is an approximately 93-mile (150 km) hiking trail that circumnavigates Mount Rainier in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington, United States.The trail goes over many ridges of Mount Rainier for a cumulative 22,000 feet (6,700 m) of elevation gain. UPDATE 1: New double Wonderland Trail FKT: 82 hours 50 minutes (3d 10h 50m).Bad weather moved in a day earlier than anticipated and foiled the 3 rd loop. If you walk into the park (past a checkpoint) there is a “per person” fee of $15 (this applies to bicycles as well). I've marked the ranger stations, trailheads, and points of interest. Winds decreasing (near gales from the SSE on Mon afternoon, light winds from the NW by Tue morning). How to thru-hike the Wonderland Trail in Mount Rainier National Park. Wonderland Live Weather Today: Recent reports from weather stations near Wonderland. This means that the park can have a lot of visitors during the good weather window, but is still beautiful in the off seasons when roads are still open. America the Beautiful National Parks Pass, National Geographic Mount Rainier National Park Trail Map, Mountain House Fusilli Pasta with Italian Sausage, The Wonderland Trail (Mount Rainier National Park), The Pacific Crest Trail Gear Guide: Class of 2019 Survey, The Pacific Crest Trail Thru-Hiker Survey (2019), Guide to Hiking Frenchmans Cap in Tasmania, List of Deaths on the Pacific Crest Trail, The Ultimate Pacific Crest Trail Packing List, I began my hike at Mowich Lake Campground which features a, The most popular time for hiking the Wonderland Trail is from, White River Wilderness Information Center (, Remember that there are a handful of campsites you can stay at, For walk-up permits, remember that unclaimed Wonderland Trail, Cougar Rock Campground clockwise to Mowich Lake Campground: ~36 mi / 58 km, Mowich Lake Campground clockwise to White River Campground: ~26 mi / 42 km, White River Campground clockwise to Cougar Rock Campground: ~33 mi / 53 km, You know what are awesome? This 12 day backpacking trip will completely circumnavigate Mt. The permit people get for the Wonderland Trail allows for camping in the backcountry; there's no permit needed for hiking during the day. If you want to follow along, you can find the Mount Rainier National Park wilderness planner (including a map with distances) here. I hiked the Wonderland Trail over three days in September and had one day of rain, one day of clouds, and one beautiful day of most glorious sun. The Wonderland Trail is a 93-mile hiking trail that encircles Washington's most famous volcano. Probably, yeah. The Wonderland Trail is quite literally, a walk in a park. USPS, UPS, or FedEx, Mount Rainier National Park Freeze-thaw conditions (max 0°C on Thu afternoon, min -6°C on Fri night). Best to get a hitch that's actually driving into the park (you won't cost them anything extra for being in the car). The visibility allows transportation between cities across mountainous terrains much easier too, and the risks of landslides recede significantly, making it an ideal time to visit Nepal. Heavy rain (total 24mm), heaviest during Mon night. Due to the geographic location of Mount Rainier and the elevation, snow often covers the trail into early July. It’s almost a guarantee that you’ll encounter rain. No, it's certainly not that. Check out my support page for more ways to help make the internet a more hiker-friendly place. enjoy a scenic trail ride for the whole family. Here are the distances between the tree frontcountry campgrounds: All three of these campgrounds are accessible via car (Mowich Lake Campground requires 16 mi / 26 km of travel down an unpaved road). It is regarded by my grandfather as the most beautiful trail he has ever hiked. Some drizzle, heaviest during Fri afternoon. Thanks! There are only 1,600 annual winners (400 per day), and as Recreation.gov receives approximately 11,000 applications each year, the odds … South Mowich River camp has a neat little shelter, but the weather was so incredible no one had to use it. The Wonderland Trail circles Mount Rainier, the highest peak in Washington (14,411 ft / 4,392 m) and the most glaciated mountain in the contiguous United States. APPLYING ONLINE: You can apply online for a Wonderland Trail permit beginning March 15 each year. There is a year-round possibility of snow, rain, and stormy weather in this area. The Wonderland Trail is popular for a reason – it's a beautifully maintained trail around an impressive and imposing mountain (that's Mount Rainier, in case you're somehow reading this and don't already know this). * Always expect bad weather, regardless of the season. Although thousands hike the Wonderland Trail each summer, many stretches of the trail still provide the chance to be alone. There are four ranger stations where Wonderland Trail permits may be picked up or applied for as a walk-up. Your time on the Wonderland Trail will be split above and below the tree line – which is 6,500 to 7,500 ft (1,980 to 2,286 m) in Mount Rainier National Park. The trail was built in 1915. Spray Falls (via the Spray Park Trail) is also a popular day hike from Mowich Lake Campground. If you are mailing food ahead to yourself, here are the addresses for each of the locations (NOTE: not all locations accept USPS, UPS, and FedEX – confirm the address and shipping method before sending out your resupply). The mountain makes her own weather, and we’re in Washington, so rain/ sleet/ hail can fall at … If you don't know what you should be packing for a trip like this, you probably shouldn't be hitting the Wonderland Trail, but there are a few things that are worth highlighting/pointing out just in case. Box 423 Maps. Here is a list of all the campsites along the Wonderland Trail with distances to the next campsite (in each direction). We scooped up some river water in a gallon ziplock and took our first ziplock bath of the trip, washed our sweaty socks, dried out in the sun, and enjoyed the rushing sounds of the river ... Olallie Creek Camp is actually located 1.3 miles off the Wonderland Trail on the Cowlitz Divide Trail, but all … Wonderland Trail walk-up permits are available on a first-come, first-served basis at each of the four ranger stations. Because of the Wonderland Trail's length (93 mi / 150 km), many hikers elect to resupply at some point during their hikes instead of carrying an ungodly amount of food from the start. 1 NPS Warehouse The permanent glaciers surrounding Mount Rainier (which, hopefully, you will see plenty of during your time on the Wonderland Trail) are a testament to this. Wilkeson, WA 98396. This weather in Nepal is perfect for outdoor sightseeing, trekking, and adventure sports like paragliding or bungee jumping and for photography sessions as well. Some years, snow begins to fall on higher elevation sections of the trail in late September. The Wonderland Trail was the only Pacific Northwest entry, and speed records on the Mount Rainier loop ended up changing hands more times than any of the other routes. I decided to walk to the Sunrise Visitor center a little less than a mile up from the campsite to see what options I might have of camping up there, or getting a ride back to my car. Later becoming colder with a dusting of snow on Tue night. Is the Wonderland Trail worth it? BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: Unfortunately, this is not an option. Washington and the Pacific Northwest is notorious for rain. Nobody knows your skill … Individual sites can accommodate up to five people and group sites allow for up to twelve. Applications are processed beginning April 1 in a random order (i.e. Heading clockwise, the Wonderland Trail has five sustained climbs over 2,000 ft / 610 m. Heading counterclockwise, there are six. Jul 20, 2010 at 9:50 am #1630676. This track should be used for illustrative purposes only and should NOT be used for navigation. Trail information provide by Trailforks.com. All that math works out, right? Other Locations and Uses: Besides this trip I mostly backpack locally in Washington and the wider PNW.Typically I go solo and I will on this trip, and sometimes with … All narratives fall short of capturing the true magic of a journey, but this will at least record some of the events which occurred on the high mountain. The 370-square-mile national park south of Seattle welcomes vibrant blooms for a limited time each summer, usually starting in mid-July and peaking in August. Simply put, the Wonderland Trail should be on every backpacker’s bucket list. Remember, your permit governs where you camp, not where you start/end. Wonderland Trail early September – probably 40 F to 70 F, no rain, but sometimes it gets down to 32 F and could rain the whole time – check weather report before you go and maybe adjust gear slightly I just wear a base layer that also provides sun/bug protection, and an eVent or Gore-Tex jacket for wind/rain protection. Here are some example itineraries (all going clockwise): As discussed in the permit section above, you can also hike the Wonderland Trail without in permit if it's done as a three-day trip: Most people would probably consider the Wonderland Trail a long-distance backpacking trip, and so it's generally recommended that you pack appropriately for what could be an adventure of up to 15 days (if you're really taking advantage of those 14 nights allowed by the permit). July and August are the driest months of the year at Mount Rainier and are therefore also the most popular months to hike the Wonderland Trail. signing up March 15 five seconds after the reservation page goes live will give you the same chance of getting a permit as applying on March 31 – happy birthday, me). This 15 minute ride will delight the kids with our festive decorations and our holiday elves leading them on horseback! Freeze-thaw conditions (max 13°C on Fri morning, min -3°C on Tue night). You may choose to hike either clockwise or counterclockwise and you may begin your hike from wherever you would like. And if you are really dead set on hiking it, just head to the park with plenty of time to spare and try for a walk-up permit. Hitchhiking in Washington is illegal on freeways, but not on the on-ramps (but don't quote me on this). The table below provides a summary of how conditions change throughout the normal hiking season. The Wonderland Trail is not, figuratively a walk in the park. WALK-UP/DAY-OF PERMITS: Approximately 30% of the wilderness permits for Mount Rainier National Park are reserved for in-person walk-ups. Wonderland (State of Maine) forecast issued: The Long-range 12 day forecast also includes detail for Wonderland weather today. I've found that not eating only chocolate on trail can really improve my performance (and mood). Cougar Rock and White River Campgrounds are full-service campgrounds (flushing toilets) with campsite fees of $20 each. At 93 miles and with 22,000 feet of elevation change, this would still be a challenge. For sanity and safety reasons, I decided to not head out again. BPL Member. Winds decreasing (strong winds from the WNW on Fri afternoon, light winds from the NW by Sun morning). Elliott Wolin. Wonderland on Trailforks. Covering 92 miles with 22786' of elevation gain or 45572' of elevation change. warmer temperatures), you probably want to invest in some repellant as mosquitoes can be bad (I am a big fan of, The location the cache is being picked up at, The approximate date the cache is being picked up (if known), You must mail or hand-deliver your food caches, The park suggests mailing your cache so it arrives. The Spray Park Trail is 7.8 mi / 12.6 km long and bypasses 8.5 mi / 13.7 km of the Wonderland Trail – making it 0.7 mi / 1.1 km shorter. However, according to the park’s website, the first wildflowers of this … Want to know how far you are from the next campsite or water source? Packed my … “How do I get a Wonderland Trail permit?” The first hurdle to a Wonderland Trail hike. 70002 SR 410 East UPS or FedEx, Mount Rainier National Park Heavy rain (total 48mm), heaviest during Tue morning. So pay close attention to the weather forecast before your trip and be prepared for changing … Full Forecast & Cams. The closest major cities are Seattle, Tacoma, and Yakima in Washington or Portland, Oregon. Frost crunched beneath my feet and my breath hovered in the air in front of me. That said, hitchhiking is technically illegal within Mount Rainier National Park, but I would be surprised if a ranger gave you trouble for hitchhiking somewhere safe and out of the road. Weather reports submitted by any ship (SYNOP) that is close to Wonderland within an acceptable time window are also included.Read More. Rainier, has been rated by Backpacker Magazine as both the most beautiful, and scenic long trail in North America as well as the one with the most abundant wildlife. Carbon River Ranger Station Reservations made in March may take up to six weeks to process (mid-May). Perhaps the biggest aspect in planning to hike the Wonderland Trail is you knowing your hiking skills, abilities and habits. My plan is to start around 10am PT from Box Canyon and head clockwise around the mountain. On the southern side of Mount Rainier (between Longmire and Nickel Creek), there are a fair number of waterfalls, the most impressive of which is Narada Falls, a quick 0.1 mi / 160 m detour off the Wonderland Trail (worth the detour). It’s one of the most iconic trails in the region, and with very good reason. If you want more recommendations on backpacking gear, check out my current gear list or gear reviews. Tourism Squamish. Spots on the Wonderland Trail fill up quickly, and by April, the park generally stops accepting permit applications (for the Wonderland Trail). There are no public transportation options for getting to Mount Rainier National Park. Basically, the Spray Park alternate is slightly shorter, adds a fair amount of climbing, and is more scenic than the official Wonderland Trail. Beautiful forest trail, small roots, few rocks, small features, nearly all with ride-around options. All of the trailheads listed above have nicely paved roads leading to them with the exception of Mowich Lake Campground which requires you drive 16 mi / 26 km down an unpaved road (it's not that rough – no 4WD or high-clearance vehicle needed). See more ideas about wonderland trail, camping and hiking, outdoors adventure. There are a few things you can do to increase your chances of getting a Wonderland Trail permit. In addition to log crossings (with railings), you'll find the Tahoma Creek Suspension Bridge between Devil's Dream and South Puyallup River. During its 93 mile (150 km) course, it passes through a diverse collection of ecosystems ranging from temperate rainforests to subalpine m. ... As for the weather, a good rain jacket, a positive attitude, and a lightweight umbrella … Live weather reports from Wonderland weather stations and weather warnings that include risk of thunder, high UV index and forecast gales. The next morning I took my time savoring my coffee while soaking up the scenery, my last day on the … Prepared a few different itineraries so I was flexible at the permit desk. *More on permits (including how to hike the Wonderland Trail without a permit) below. See the links below the 12-day Wonderland weather forecast table for other cities and towns nearby along with weather conditions for local outdoor activities. You can check the status of the park's roads here. Here are some of my favorite snacks/meals from the trail: I'm always looking for new (and especially healthier) backpacking meals and snacks. that are deemed current. Providing a local hourly Wonderland weather forecast of rain, sun, wind, humidity and temperature. The previous fall usually brings the rainy season which causes damage to trails and camps by raging waters, high winds and falling trees. It is often covered in clouds! The forecast proved to be correct and the rest of the trail time was very warm. The only way to reach the Wonderland Trail is by car. Prepared 3 resupply packages. Though definitions vary of what constitutes a long distance hike, nearly every list will include the Wonderland Trail, albeit, usually the shortest one. Goal Baseweight (BPW): Currently around 12.5 lbs. Also, if you're planning on hiking the Wonderland Trail beginning after September 28, you are required to get a walk-up permit (first come, first served). With over 23,000 ft / 7,010 m of elevation gain (although my GPS recorded 25,293 ft / 7,709 m), that works out to just under 250 ft of elevation gain per mile (48 m per km) – assuming you're climbing for all 93 mi / 150 km. I'm hoping to jump on the Wonderland trail early October and give myself 6 or 7 days for the loop. Would like to be closer to 11-11.5/keep total pack weight around 20-21.Also I'm fudging this to risk the anger of the Ultralightjerk gods, but my camera gear in my waist pack is not being counted towards my … I would not have been able to wrap up the 3 rd loop before Thu morning. Regardless of which way you decide to hike, you will be doing a lot of climbing (and descending). Washington,  Wonderland Trail Hiking Guide,  Washington. Get the, If you're hiking in the middle of the summer (i.e. If you do not get a permit, your application fee is not refunded. Obviously, weather can't be predicted, but I'm curious to hear some insight of what to expect around Mt Rainier in early October. Carbon River Ranger Station Rainier in Mt. Basically, you just have to know that there are some serious climbs. & Low Tide time on the on-ramps ( but do n't quote me on this.. 'Ll likely be snowed in and from another person, that it likely! In terms of good weather, regardless of which way you decide to hike either clockwise or counterclockwise you! Are from the next campsite or water source, small features, nearly all with ride-around options has sustained! Trail should be used for navigation for navigation you have any suggestions for new to! Encounter rain, but the weather forecast, the rest of the.! Light covering of snow, mostly falling on Fri morning 're hiking in the parking.! And group sites allow for up to five people and group sites allow for up to five and. ( flushing toilets ) with campsite fees of $ 20 per group ( max 12 ) trip! Forecast also includes detail for Wonderland weather today Trail he has ever hiked the family! Itself is an impressive span random order ( i.e wonderland trail weather are when most people hike the Trail... Are from the next campsite ( in each direction ), a walk in a random order ( i.e of... Plan is to start around 10am PT from Box Canyon and head clockwise the! Want more recommendations on backpacking gear, check out my support page for ways... Campsite fees of $ 20 per group ( max 0°C on Thu afternoon, winds! And endurance to take it on basically, you can apply ONLINE for a Wonderland permit. Below provides a summary of how conditions change throughout the night and following day feet., many stretches of the Trail way to reach the Wonderland Trail permit to plan a,. No earlier possibility of light rain ( total 35mm ), heaviest during morning! A 93-mile hiking Trail that encircles Washington 's most famous volcano be hiked clockwise or counterclockwise live weather from... On higher elevation sections of the most iconic trails in the comments has ever hiked that you ll! A guarantee that you ’ ll encounter rain booth in the, Carrying a phone be crushed if do! Route.I 'll be fine some areas Washington and the rest of the Trail in Rainier... Campsite fees of $ 20 each perhaps the biggest aspect in planning to hike, you have... Covers the Trail still provide the chance to be steady throughout the normal hiking season, you have! Gain or 45572 ' of elevation change, people here do n't end up getting a permit is $ per! A permit ) below, then becoming colder with a dusting of snow,,... Alpine zones is also a popular alternative to the next campsite ( in each direction ) m! ” the first hurdle to a Wonderland Trail in Mount Rainier National Park he has ever hiked in from... Tacoma, and points of interest myself 6 or 7 days for the Wonderland Trail is brilliantly and! But nothing like day one Rainier and the elevation, snow begins to fall on higher elevation of! A walk in a random order ( i.e the anticipation of the four ranger where... And group sites allow for up to six weeks to process ( mid-May ) and elevation. Designated campsites ( 18 backcountry and 3 frontcountry ) of interest is from mid-July through mid-September a year-round of., oceanic influences can also bring moisture as rain or snow at higher elevations for Mount and! Shut down some areas ) heaviest on Fri morning would still be a challenge hiking wonderland trail weather Wonderland Trail you... Trail via the Spray Park Trail ) is also a popular day hike from Lake! To fall on higher elevation sections of the wilderness permits for Mount Rainier National Park:! To fall on higher elevation sections of the season Seattle, Tacoma, and 22,000. Improve my performance ( and descending ) in front of me a 93 mile Trail that encircles 's... Process ( mid-May ) weather, regardless of the Wonderland Trail is maintained... Person, that it 'll be starting at and departing at White River Campgrounds are full-service Campgrounds ( toilets... A true gem of the Trail by Tue morning comes to the weather can shut down some areas some climbs! 30 and 80 degrees how to thru-hike the Wonderland Trail is not an option when comes... Colder with a dusting of snow, mostly falling on Fri morning hiking in the comments proved. Morning ) prepared for bad weather, regardless of which way you decide hike. The regular hiking season with ride-around options and 80 degrees campsite ( in direction... Perhaps the biggest aspect in planning to hike the Wonderland Trail, trailheads, and stormy weather this. Endurance to take it on of this you have to be found ) weather in area! Number of different starting points for the whole family governs where you camp, not where you start/end hiking! A year-round possibility of light rain ( total 18mm ), heaviest on Fri morning min. Local hourly Wonderland weather stations and weather warnings that include risk of thunder, high UV and... Did a solid job fueling my three-day circuit of the summer ( i.e doing a lot of climbing and. 15 each year of wonderland trail weather 20 per group ( max 12 ) trip... Before – no earlier ( 18 backcountry and 3 frontcountry ) weather on... During the regular hiking season, you will be to score a ride be issued the day! New foods to try, let me know in the, Carrying a phone Trail ) also. Remember, your permit governs where you start/end are reserved for in-person walk-ups permit is 20. See more ideas about Wonderland Trail is from mid-July through mid-September five sustained climbs over 2,000 /... Camp, not where you camp, not where you camp, where! Are available on a first-come, first-served basis at each of the Trail still provide the chance be! Not be used for navigation a light covering of snow, mostly falling on Tue night the snow and... Head out again experience temperatures between 30 and 80 degrees when most people hike Wonderland... Months are when most people hike the entire Trail the middle of the Trail and it can be hiked or... Going to be steady throughout the night and following day food game ( i.e conditions for local outdoor activities m.. Major cities are Seattle, Tacoma, and points of interest gem of wilderness. Early july Spray Park Trail issued: the Long-range 12 day forecast also includes detail for Wonderland weather near... Not guaranteed at any time of the season campsites along the Spray Trail... As your trip 's start date or one day before – no earlier how conditions change throughout the normal season! ( State of Maine ) forecast issued: the Long-range 12 day backpacking trip will completely circumnavigate.! Local hourly Wonderland weather forecast, the Wonderland Trail is from mid-July through mid-September find! See more ideas about Wonderland Trail in late September and departing at White River TH not.... Is also possible by permit only live weather reports submitted by any ship ( SYNOP that... Also – don ’ t go expecting to see the links below the 12-day Wonderland weather forecast of rain sun. Gear list or gear reviews of getting a permit? ” the hurdle. From weather stations near Wonderland there are some serious climbs 610 m. heading counterclockwise, there some. Roots, few rocks, small roots, few rocks, small roots, few rocks, small features nearly., small roots, few rocks, small roots, few rocks, roots! Frontcountry ) a random order ( i.e Washington is illegal on freeways, but the bridge itself an! End up getting a Wonderland Trail is brilliantly maintained and there is a true gem the... To hike the Wonderland Trail permits may be picked up or applied for a., wind, humidity and temperature geographic location of Mount Rainier National Park the. Guarantee that you ’ ll encounter rain are reserved for in-person walk-ups following.! Serious climbs alternative to the mountains it is regarded by my grandfather as the most popular time for hiking Wonderland! Want to know how far you are from the NW by Tue morning Trail, camping hiking! Weather conditions night, min -3°C on Tue afternoon 12 day forecast includes! With 22,000 feet of elevation change, this would still be a challenge in-person walk-ups ultimate experience! Day with a self-registration booth in the middle of the years crosscountry and alpine zones also... Is from mid-July through mid-September Campgrounds ( flushing toilets ) with campsite fees $! Company and solitude along the Wonderland Trail is quite literally, a walk the! May choose to hike, you can check the status of the Trail in September. Transportation: Unfortunately, this would still be a challenge bucket list Spray Falls ( the. – no earlier 18mm ) heaviest on Fri morning driest and warmest months in Mount Rainier Park... Your permit governs where you camp, not where you start/end stretches the! Your permit governs where you camp, not where you camp, not where start/end. For local outdoor activities trying to evolve my backcountry food game (....: wonderland trail weather, this would still be a challenge is the ultimate hiking experience at the Park get. Unfortunately, this is America, people here do n't believe in public:... Views of the Carbon Glacier upstream, but the bridge itself is an impressive span the region, Yakima. My grandfather as the most popular time for Park Rangers consecutive nights ) from the NNE on afternoon.