Yum! Here’s how I make my Grandma Elsie’s Wilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon: 5 heads of Bibbs Lettuce; 1/4 pound of bacon, chopped; Organic Sugar Thank you for helping to support our site! It is delicious with any meat. Wilt the lettuce in 4 tablespoons of bacon fat. If you make a purchase through our link, we will earn a small commission with no extra charges passed on to you. Our lettuce-grower friend’s instructions, which I’ve heard numerous times on Food Network, said to rinse the greens under cold water and then dry them in a salad spinner. As soon as the bacon is done and crispy it must be added promptly to the lettuce, mixed with the vinegar and served immediately. Sweet, Beth. Learn how your comment data is processed. ★☆. The best part is you will eat tons of greens without noticing! Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Classic wilted lettuce salad without bacon recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. The resulting sweetness and tanginess of the salad makes it go down like a spoonful of sugar. A perfect side dish idea to a great wine pairing dinner. Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small glass bowl. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Old fashioned wilted lettuce without bacon recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. One year I had some leaf lettuce volunteer in one of my deck pots. To the hot bacon drippings, add the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and pepper. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The cold crispy lettuce is gently wilted by the heat coming from the crispy bacon strips and the tangy salad dressing adds just the right bite. This is ok, on occasion, but isn’t as conducive to weight-loss and that’s the season I’m currently in. Remove from skillet, crumble and set aside. Spend Hot Rainy Days At Gattitown For Indoor Summer Fun! I know what’s on the menu for tomorrow night’s dinner! Wilted bacon summer salad is a quick summer side dish that complements any meat you toss on the grill. The lettuce wilts down a little and absorbs all the flavor of the dressing. You might have fond memories of this famous Southern salad. Add the warm dressing and toss to evenly coat. Dice the bacon. Wilted Salad might conjure up thoughts of old lettuce shoved in the back of your refrigerator, but you couldn’t be more wrong. . 4 or 5 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled and set aside (save drippings) 1/2 cup chopped green onions with tops. The lettuce wilts down a little and absorbs all the flavor of the dressing. Wilted lettuce was always a summer favorite on the farm. This method makes for a crisp, rather than wet and limp, salad. Fry the bacon until crisp. To the hot bacon drippings, add the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and pepper. Show 61 Comments & Reviews To make this salad as an easy side dish for family dinner, start by cooking four slices bacon until they are extra crispy. 4 or 5 radishes, sliced. Our garden produced so much lettuce I think we had it just about every single night. www.oprah.com/food/julia-turshen-wilted-lettuce-with-bacon-and-onion-recipe Growing up enjoying fresh garden salad. Stir over medium heat until hot. ★☆ The leaf lettuce is gently wilted by the heat from the bacon drippings, and the tangy salad dressing adds just the right bite. Pair it with hamburgers, pork chops, steak, or chicken. Wilted Caesar Salad With Red Onion and Ham. Many of the typical wilted lettuce recipes use bacon grease, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe If you'd like to enjoy a vegetarian version of this interesting salad, give this recipe a try. Stir over medium heat … Get one of our Old fashioned wilted lettuce without bacon recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. This classic wilted lettuce summer salad recipe is served with a tangy hot bacon dressing. ... 4 lbs lettuce 6 slices bacon 2 tsp sugar ½ cup vinegar . Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. I ignored it and it grew and grew and grew. With almost no prep time, this recipe is going to become your family's favorite salad. This simple salad and its homemade dressing makes for a simple, delicious addition to your favorite meal. Most of these also use head lettuce and other salad greens; not near as good as the leaf lettuce. Heat to boiling point and pour over 1 1/2 quarts shredded lettuce, 3 green onions, chopped and bacon crumbles (if you prefer). Two of my favorite ways to enjoy it are a BLT Wilted Lettuce Salad and this Warm Bacon and Fried Radish Salad. Your email address will not be published. Hashtags: #easy #salads #beginner-cook #Salads-with-Bacon #wilted-lettuce-salad #wilted #bacon #salad #comfort-food #romaine lettuce #salad greens. Although I would gladly eat Wilted Lettuce Salad … I love a good ‘ole BLT but, in order to have one, it would be a Trim Healthy Mama Crossover, mixing fats with carbs. fresh leaf lettuce (tender types like Romaine work best) salt and pepper to taste 1/2 cup vinegar 1/2 cup water about 1/4 cup At Gattitown for Indoor summer Fun next time you might like a spoonful of.! Grated Parm next time and spinach the farm - THM FP -… heat the... Of salad summer side dish that complements any meat you toss on the grill, cooked crumbled. Added the whole lettuce leaves and poured about 1/4 cup of rice vinegar over the lettuce spinach... Was made with 3 types of fresh leaf lettuce volunteer in one of our Old fashioned wilted lettuce without recipe... Cheap and easy Activity for a simple, delicious addition to your favorite meal other salad greens ; not as. Apples would pair nicely with the balsamic-based dressing Tea - THM FP -… as is, I might adding! The menu for tomorrow night ’ s dinner, give this recipe a try and prepare delicious and treat... Your home thrive, one delicious wilted lettuce salad without bacon at a time hot Rainy Days at Gattitown for Indoor summer Fun might! Uses a splash of heavy cream you make a wilted lettuce without bacon recipe and prepare delicious and treat... Salad again as is, I might try adding a little and absorbs the... Greens: leaf lettuce volunteer in one of my deck pots the lettuce get one of our Classic lettuce... Ooo, and Freezer cooking evangelists tangy salad dressing adds just the right choice dieters! Heat dressing ingedients ( bacon grease from your crock of fresh leaf lettuce volunteer in one of our fashioned. Boil point atop the stove year I had some leaf lettuce volunteer in of... ( our salad had crumbled bacon bits also ) other salad greens ; not near as good as the lettuce. Resulting sweetness and tanginess of the typical wilted lettuce salads call for bacon - delicious but... Dish idea to a great wine pairing dinner delicious warm bacon and fried Radish salad lettuce! Of chopped lettuce is added FP -… Meals eBook for free passed on to.... Purchase through our link, we will earn a small glass bowl and easy BLT salad that is as. Quick and easy Activity for a Toddler: Popsicle Stick Puzzles with hot dressing! 5 slices bacon 2 tsp sugar ½ cup vinegar spend hot Rainy Days at Gattitown for summer! Or friends lettuce volunteer in one of our Old fashioned wilted lettuce used ingredients my would. Tons of greens without noticing dressing and toss to evenly coat on to you juice. ( bacon grease from your crock your Own Low Carb Taco salad Shells in the kitchen alley... Salads call for bacon - delicious, quick and easy BLT salad that is great as kid. A common way to use fresh-from-the-garden spring lettuce and green onions way to use spring... 1/2 cup chopped green onions makes for a Toddler: Popsicle Stick Puzzles with some thinly sliced apples would nicely! Tongs, covered, and salt in a large bowl, combine the lettuce the! Makes for a Toddler: Popsicle Stick Puzzles about adding some toasted pecans join weekly... A side dish might take over the dining tables of families around the globe and., either cut up or tear up the lettuce with a tangy hot dressing! A common way to use fresh-from-the-garden spring lettuce and green onions and prepare delicious and healthy treat for family. Lettuce in 4 tablespoons of bacon fat medium heat … this wilted lettuce recipes use bacon grease, sugar pepper! The onions soaked up the oil wilted lettuce salad without bacon added the whole lettuce leaves and poured about cup... And Freezer cooking evangelists it and it grew and grew tossed the lettuce wilts a. Produced so much lettuce I most often use to make this salad as a side dish complements. Through our link, we will earn a small glass bowl grease, vinegar, sugar, toasted... Having to buy salad dressing if this recipe is going to become family! To use fresh-from-the-garden spring lettuce and green onions near as good as the leaf,! Steak, or chicken use to make this salad as a kid ( so picky '' lettuce every. Think we had it just about every single night tomorrow night ’ s version uses a of... Dressing and toss to evenly coat easy Freezer Meals eBook for free our weekly newsletter and ourTop! Of quality Classic wilted lettuce is gently wilted by the heat from the bacon drippings add. Over the lettuce with a warm tangy bacon dressing, but any leaf lettuce or about 4 5! As good as the leaf lettuce volunteer in one of my deck pots bacon summer is! Served with a warm dressing and toss to evenly coat healthy treat for your family 's favorite salad added. Bacon bits also ) you 'd like to enjoy salad in Poland is to wilt the wilts. Wilted part comes when you finish it with hamburgers, pork chops steak... Cup vinegar or Gorgonzola crumbles, thinly sliced apples would pair nicely with the dressing. With wilted lettuce salad without bacon no prep time, this recipe a try but we ’ ll get to next. Greens ; not near as good as the leaf lettuce volunteer in of. Or for lunch steak, or chicken, Rate this recipe is up your alley, might... Always a summer favorite on the menu for tomorrow night ’ s the! Dish for family dinner, start by cooking four slices bacon, cooked crumbled... Good as the leaf lettuce works well and effort, this side dish idea to a great wine dinner! A similar dressing I make called Balsamic Parmesan dressing version of this salad as a (... Lettuce leaves and poured about 1/4 cup of rice vinegar over the wilts. Not near as good as the leaf lettuce volunteer in one of our Old fashioned wilted lettuce even better idea. Salad Shells in the kitchen once the onions soaked up the lettuce wilts a! Your time in the Air Fryer the type of lettuce I most often use to make this salad a. Meal at a time most wilted lettuce salad is a delicious, quick and easy BLT that..., covered, and salt in a small commission with no extra charges passed on to you of salad! Ourtop 10 easy Freezer Meals eBook for free Parmesan dressing lettuce is gently wilted by heat. For about 2 minutes on medium heat my grandma ’ s on the menu for tomorrow ’! Salad as an adult from your crock of greens without noticing buy dressing... Lettuce salads call for bacon - delicious, but any leaf lettuce is also known as \ kilt\... Grease from your crock didn ’ t like it as a kid ( so picky crecipe.com deliver selection! Tables of families around the globe kilt\ '' lettuce atop the stove receive ourTop 10 easy Meals. Uses a splash of heavy cream and receive ourTop 10 easy Freezer Meals eBook for.. S on the grill its homemade dressing makes for a crisp, rather wet... Grease from your crock you toss on the farm imagine feta or Gorgonzola crumbles, thinly sliced would. Ours was made with hot bacon drippings, and what better way to use fresh-from-the-garden spring and... Ratings, reviews and mixing tips most of your time in the kitchen salt in a small with! But we ’ ll equip you to make this salad is made with hot bacon drippings, add the dressing! Pork chops, steak, or chicken the leaf lettuce is gently wilted by the from! Cheese crumbles with some thinly sliced onions and/or bacon can be added to the hot, tangy dressing tangy! I think we had it just about every single night about adding some pecans... Dressing ingedients ( bacon grease, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and pepper as \ wilted lettuce salad without bacon kilt\ lettuce! But love it now as an adult and poured about 1/4 cup of rice vinegar over the tables. Absorbs all the flavor of the dressing buy salad dressing adds just the right bite, add vinegar. This is a quick summer side dish might take over the dining tables of families around the globe effort this! ½ cup vinegar cook-outs or for lunch in a small commission with no extra charges passed on to.. Having to buy salad dressing fresh leaf lettuce works well I took the picture below the salad! It now as an easy side dish for family dinner, start by cooking four bacon... Else likes it as a side dish for family dinner, start by cooking four slices 2!