In 2011, Craig and Laura… Judge's Riverside is a destination restaurant located on the banks of the Catawba River near the greenway. Hands on Glider training - Theory, set up, configuration, basic glider pick-up and set down skills and non-harness control. Here’s Why Manteo is the Prettiest Town in North Carolina, This Is Why Savannah Historic District is America’s Prettiest City. If you think hang gliding is just for adrenaline junkies, think again. Because he had very little control over his glider, he crashed and died in 1896. Popular Launch Areas: Jockey’s Ridge Location: Nags Head, North Carolina Moore Mountain Alexander County, North Carolina Pinnacle Mountain Rutherford County, North Carolina See All 9. Depending on conditions, a mere turning of the head will begin to turn the craft. Course Description: Thermal Valley incorporates Dennis Pagen's training books "Hang Gliding Training Manual" and "Performance Flying." That was the best thermal of the day for me, a perfect 10 on the averager and we waved to each other and William headed back upwind. Add to that the stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and you’ve experienced hang gliding NC. Off we went, into the wild blue yonder! At that moment, Craig insisted that I sing the Rocky theme song, “Flying High,” so of course, I obliged. Contact Shane or reach out to Craig Pearson at Thermal Valley Hang Gliding in Lenoir NC to find out more about getting trained to be a licensed solo paraglider pilot! This is a race-to-goal style competition for class 1 and sport class pilots. Schedule your tandem hang gliding flight with them today! What’s your favorite part of your job? My son recently experienced the Thermal Valley mile high, hang gliding experience. It was our first time hang gliding and they made it an excellent experience. Says the folks at Thermal Valley, “Tandem flights consist of you flying with an experienced USHPA-certified tandem aero-tow hang gliding instructor. We also offer solo instruction if you want to pursue advanced hang gliding training. Thermal Valley Basic HG Flight Training Syllabus. For our 3rd wedding anniversary, I surprised Richard with a hang gliding trip at Thermal Valley, Inc. in Lenoir, NC. An experience that lasts a life time. Adam, has advanced to soloing behind the tug plane. Excerpt from Thermal Valley Hang Gliding. Thermal Valley: Thermal Valley Hang Gliding - See 17 traveler reviews, 7 candid photos, and great deals for Morganton, NC, at Tripadvisor. Hang Gliding turn and approach practice, Thermal Valley Hang Gliding, NC - Duration: 2:34. Luggage and Lipstick is a participant in the Amazon Services Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Let me tell you, it's a wonderful, thrilling, peaceful experience! In 2011, Craig and Laura Pearson opened Thermal Valley Hang Gliding in Burke County NC. Sharing the joys and wonder of free flight while flying among breath taking scenery of the North Carolina Mountains (1) REPORT:10 BEST travel tips..... Thermal Valley Hang Gliding . Thermal Valley's 1500 foot flight lasts 8 to 12 minutes and each 500 foot increase will add up to five minutes depending on the atmospheric conditions. Your information will *never* be shared or sold to a 3rd party. At Thermal Valley, you will fly with an experienced Hang gliding instructor dedicated to making your free flight experience one you will remember for a life time. Lilienthal’s rudimentary craft flew over 2000 times, but only short distances, and was the inspiration for the famous Wright Brothers. Thermal Valley Hang Gliding; Hours: By appointment Friday, Saturday and Sundays April 1st through October 31st. “One lady, in particular, was so nervous when we launched and made our first turn from the runway, she looked back and saw the runway and yelled to me that there was an airport behind us!” Craig told us. Yee-Haw! Flying the Skies Over WNC. The most unusual trail guide mailed to “We strive to make our patrons feel like family and close friends, and provide the best free flight experience ever.”. Guys, I took to the skies recently in the purest form of human aviation: hang gliding! Hang gliding is the sport of piloting an aircraft called a hang glider. Prevost, Cowichan Valley: located 5 miles north of Duncan – Coastal mountain site offering thermal and ridge flying on the west face. Craig has 28 years of experience as a USHPA (United States Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association) certified aero-tow tandem hang glider instructor and tug pilot and has flown over 2200 tandem flights.Not only are his credentials exemplary, but you could not find a person better suited to taking people into the stratosphere – especially first-timers who are apprehensive. If you just want to relax and take in the beautiful scenery, no worries – it’s not mandatory to take the controls. 5 lighted Little League baseball fields. “Free-flying is so exciting and there is a need for professional, thorough, and consistent training,” said Craig. Thermal Valley is a family owned and operated business created to promote the wonders of hang-gliding and facilitate free-flight experiences. (2) REPORT:How travel makes you healthier..... Craig’s fascination with hang gliding began as a youngster growing up in the shadow of Hibriten Mountain. Menu & Reservations Make Reservations . What’s your favorite part of your job? There are multiple mountain launch sites in and around Lenoir and Morganton. The owner, the pilot and Willie were super friendly, funny and most of … FAI-2. Accessible with a private vehicle or with a collective taxi. How about viewing the mountains and valleys from 2,000 feet above ground? At Thermal Valley Hang Gliding, the mission is to share the joy of free flight with as many people as possible. Inc. Patti Morrow is a freelance travel writer and founder of the award-winning blog Luggage and Lipstick. My favorite part? I know it’s not the same thing, but your positive experience has calmed some of my nerves. See the external video link Geoff Loyns talks about his Hang Glider tumble… later on this page. In 2011, Craig and Laura Pearson opened Thermal Valley Hang Gliding in Burke County NC . Big difference flying at 200 feet versus 3000 feet ️ . Patti has traveled six continents looking for fabulous places and adventure activities for her Baby Boomer (and Gen X!) The word is out that the best of the best of live concerts, Broadway musicals and other special stage attractions are to be found and enjoyed in Morganton at CoMMA. ; Malahat, Victoria: 19 miles north of Victoria – Coastal mountain site offering ridge and thermal flying. Then Larry throttles down. When you reach your target altitude, the glider releases the tow line and begins free flight. Flying 145 miles in 7 hours up to 18500 ft (3.5 miles high) on a Hang Glider from Owens Valley California to Lunning Nevada in 1987. Student arrives at Thermal Valley and receives site orientation, waivers, introduction to study material, question and answer 45M. thermalvalley.net. Field house with concessions and eating area. Thermal Valley Hang Gliding is owned by Craig and Laura Pearson. The glider is tied to a small, ultralight airplane, towed into the air, then released. At Thermal Valley, you will fly with an experienced Hang gliding instructor dedicated to making your free flight experience one you will remember for a life time. Few thrills can compare to soaring like a bird above the clouds. Disclosure:  Patti and Kary were honored to be the guest of Visit Burke County for their hang gliding flights but as always, the opinions, reviews, and experiences are their own. Main take-off site for paragliders and hang-gliders at a big forest clearing, steep grass-slope straight into the thermal. My first experience with Hang Gliding…..Tandem. The tandem flights offered by Thermal Valley fly at altitudes between 1,500 and 2,500 feet, though hang gliders can reach heights of well over 18,000 feet. Lenoir. The ground seemed to be coming at us really fast, but it was a very smooth landing. Eventually, Craig gave up a 30-year career with Duke Energy to run Thermal Valley full time. (4) FREE e-Book: 52 Places to See This Year “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” ~ Michael Palin. Pulling the horizontal part of the triangle frame will increase the speed. A family owned and operated business whose mission is to facilitate people to feel the exhilarating effects of free flying through our discovery tandem hang gliding flights. By the 1980s the lift-to-drag ratio began to improve, and now pilots are able to stay airborne for hours by utilizing the thermal updrafts and even performing aerobatics. Thermal Valley is a family owned and operated business created to promote the wonders of hang-gliding and facilitate free-flight experiences. Advice for hang gliders is included. A family owned and operated business whose mission is to facilitate people to feel the exhilarating effects of free flying through our discovery tandem hang gliding flights. Find your wings @ Thermalvalley.net Portions of the trail can be visited in any season. Hanggliding Spots. William T Higgins 164 views. Come soar with us over the beautiful and historic Shenandoah Valley. Thermal Valley And check out the online P2 Training course at ParagliderTraining.Org. Pretending I was Superman Woman! And check out the online P2 Training course at ParagliderTraining.Org. At Thermal Valley, you will fly with an experienced Hang gliding instructor dedicated to making your free flight experience one you will remember for a life time. Watch our Burke County Natures Playground video →. Thermal Valley's 1500 foot flight lasts 8 to 12 minutes and each 500 foot increase will add up to five minutes depending on the atmospheric conditions. Hang Gliding allows you to see the world from the point of view of a free-flying bird. So, you’re interested in being pulled by an airplane at least 1,500-feet above ground, while being connected to a smaller set of wings that has a three-wheel landing gear. Contact Thermal Valley Hang Gliding on Messenger. All of our original sauces and rubs are made in-house by our very own “smokeologist” with inspiration from North Carolina and Missouri recipes. With some verbal cues from Craig on how to shifting my body weight in opposition to the control frame, I was able to “crank and bank” the craft! For nearly half of each Thermal Valley flight, the hang glider floats behind the plane. There, at Thermal Valley Hang Gliding and Paragliding located near the Foothills Regional Airport, you will be trained to fly with a pilot. A great way to learn and practice hang gliding. Immediately, we were ascending and the ground receded before my eyes. The mention alone of the Owen’s Valley can send shivers down pilots’ spines. My first experience with Hang Gliding…..Tandem. On our first day we found Thermal Valley Airsports. The History Museum of Burke County is a delightful surprise to anyone visiting the area. At Thermal Valley, you will fly with an experienced Hang gliding instructor dedicated to making your free flight experience one you will remember for a life time. What is the Best Beach in the Outer Banks? Craig’s fascination with hang gliding began as a youngster growing up in the shadow of Hibriten Mountain. Hang glider pilots are represented by multiple world champion Alex Ploner, flying on flexible wing, and a young talented German pilot Tim Grabowski on rigid wing. Craig has 28 years of experience as a USHPA (United States Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association) certified aero-tow tandem hang glider instructor and tug pilot and has flown over 2200 tandem flights. Your email address will not be published. TripAdvisor called her one of “20 Baby Boomer Travel Bloggers Having More Fun Than Millennials.”  Patti is the author of the book “Girls Go Solo: Tips for Women Traveling Alone,” and has over 150 bylines in 40 print and online publications, including The Huffington Post, International Living Magazine, Washington Post Sunday Travel, Travel Girl, Travel Play Live Magazine, and Ladies Home Journal. Sharing the joys and wonder of free flight while flying among breath taking scenery of the North Carolina Mountains Craig – the Gregarious Pilot of Thermal Valley. The valley is the site of legends, and has been the cause of many “there I was, I was gonna die” stories. Sharing the joys and wonder of free flight while flying among breath taking scenery of the North Carolina Mountains I understand Thermal Valley offers a 1000ft and 2000ft experience but I … Modern hang gliders provide the ability to stay airborne for hours and travel hundreds of miles. 4 lighted youth and adult softball/baseball fields. “Really? These two topographical maps of thermals & valley winds were made by Werner Luidolt and Simon Lemmerer. Then south to Bishop through the Owens Valley, another famous hang gliding destination. Thermal Valley: FLYIN' HIGH - See 17 traveller reviews, 7 candid photos, and great deals for Morganton, NC, at Tripadvisor. Driving Directions: We operate from the back entrance to Foothills Regional Airport- The address is 4098 Old Amherst Rd. An extract from Thermal Flying by Burkhard Martens, the bible for paragliding and hang gliding pilots. Laura and Craig are absolutely the nicest people. The Canadian HG National Championships are once again being hosted in sunny, dry, Savona BC. Services Available In: (2,078.75 mi) Lenoir, NC 28645. Thermal Valley Hang Gliding 3218 Zacks Fork Rd Lenoir NC 28645. There, at Thermal Valley Hang Gliding and Paragliding located near the Foothills Regional Airport, you will be trained to fly with a pilot. 999 likes. His fun-loving, outgoing personality would put even the worst jitters at ease. Umpires and coaches meeting room. Reserve your flight today! In 1977, as a youngster, Craig looked up from his backyard and saw his first hang glider. Thermal Valley Hang Gliding, Lenoir. ; Mt. Aside from the standard helmets and eye protection, pilots have an emergency parachute enclosed in the harness. And yet, if you give the site the respect it deserves, safe flights are possible. Add to that the stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and you’ve experienced hang gliding NC. We want to inspire a new generation of soaring pilots. 4 Reviews (828) 292-7473 Website. Get directions, reviews and information for Thermal Valley Hang Gliding in Lenoir, NC. Owens Valley. I’m no longer a spectator, but an accomplice to the air. What’s your favorite part of your job? Fly with a USHPA Certified aero-tow tandem instructor! Dallas Road, Victoria: East of Cook Street – Coastal site offering ridge flying. Sports & Recreation. Early hang gliders had a low lift-to-drag ratio, so pilots were restricted to launching from small hills and slowly floating down. Introduce Hang Gliding … A thermal is a rising column of air that can increase your altitude as high as the cloud base (science!). I understand Thermal Valley offers a 1000ft and 2000ft experience but I would highly recommend the mile high flight. In any case this is just a must have hang gliding goodie for anyone who is planning their trip to the Alps of Austria, Italy (Südtirol – Gemona), Switzerland as well as to the German Alps. Kary and I were among those who had to reschedule for the following morning, disappointed, but better safe than sorry.