You can lay down sod at any time during the gardening season. MORE INFO. Love on Long Island NY. We have another separate area that is grassy but I’m thinking of putting in artificial turf over the sandy area where they walk after exiting the covered patio. I spread some top soil then rake in seed. growing up in the Northern Virginia area. But a trying to grow a lawn from seed with 3 large dogs in there, would be impossible. I have four dogs, who are tough runners. Watering Time. Dogs can inflict quite a lot of wear and tear on a lawn. Owners also may worry about the effect of grass seed on a dog or cat’s respiratory system, as breathing in the granules could be harmful if they get lodged in a pet’s lungs. We use the latest grass varieties to make sure that you get the most up to date mixture. Don’t put down too much seed…only one or two seeds need to fall into the holes. I do have a professional pet care business and will soon be having no more than 3 to 4 additional fur-children in my home to provide care for. One Step Complete for Sun and Shade North Areas with Smart Seed, Mulch, Fertilizer Mix With Pennington, your lawn will get the love With Pennington, your lawn will get the love and attention it deserves. Sod may be your best bet if you want to completely cover the yard right away. The area we’d like to sod has several hours of direct sunlight a day. I had a large German Shepherd who was approximately 100 lbs. Running usually only causes problems when dogs repeatedly run across the same stretch of land. You have successfully joined our pup pack. Dogs can inflict quite a lot of wear and tear on a lawn. However, large or medium dogs in a small or medium sized lawn will yield noticeable turf damage as they run and play regularly. A-G Sod offers a number of Warm Season grass varieties. The answer to "Should I seed or sod?" Our boys are getting used to them but I know the rocks are not comfortable for them and may even cause damage to the pads of their paws. If you don’t mind browning in the cool weather, Zoysia is the way to go. God answered my prayer as if He wrote it himself and the man we bought the home from left everything including all furniture, 55 inch tv with free tv channels no need for a contracted tv provider, forks and sheets, etc. I was looking at your advice on grass for my back garden (yard) I live in Northern Ireland and have a 9 year old Jack Russell. They’re pretty widely available, and there are a lot of good options to choose from. If you’re lucky, your dog will pick some out-of-the-way location to dig, but unfortunately, they often seem to prefer areas that are at least adjacent to your lawn. Also be sure to read up on pet-safe weed killers, as some treatments are much more dog-friendly than others. I hope this can a little help. Chances are, she’s currently giving him the eyes and begging to go to the park. Some owners opt to train their dog to only pee and poop in one specific spot to limit some of the damage done. Bermuda grass is the best choice for planting in dog high-traffic areas in warm-season areas, and Kentucky bluegrass (Poa pretensis), a perennial in USDA zones 2 through 6, … What you really need to look out for as a pet owner are grass seeds that come pre-loaded with fertilizers or other growth chemicals when you buy them. This will probably be a couple of months or so. From lawn fertilizers and weed control to plant foods and soil supplements, we take pride in providing you with the highest-quality ingredients. 24 Comments. Even though choosing a pet-friendly grass seed matters, choosing a pet-friendly fertilizer may in fact be an even bigger issue. Dog Care Tips By Ben Team 9 min read August 12, 2019 18 Comments Generally speaking, grass is a great groundcover … More Reviews ›› Thank you so much. Badly damaged spots will need to be repaired, however, by reseeding or patching with sod. Click here to find out the Best Sprinklers for Windy Areas! It has excellent durability in yards with dogs and is resistant to yellowing from dog urine. We recommend that you divide your lawn into two sections. Sod is great when you want instant lawn. Your five grass choices are spot-on but its limited scope begs the question, how about a 6th grass focused on heartiness in primary regions of our country, such as here in the Mid-West (Central Indiana)? Even organic fertilizers might be harmful to pets when you first put them down, so watch out for any warnings or specific time periods to keep your pet off your lawn. Both seed and sod have some degree of maintenance after laying. What About Seeds That Resist Dog’s Damaging The Yard? Seed – Financially, seeding is an appealing choice as the cost of even the best seed mix is still a lot cheaper than sod, so if budget is your driving factor, seed wins out. This can create the same types of problems that frequent urination does. Though they won’t necessarily be labeled as such, concerned pet owners may be able to find organic, natural options that won’t have any harm on their pets. It is relatively drought tolerant, and it doesn’t require the “babying” that some other grasses do. I have roto-tilled, added amendments to the soil, fertilized, and composted prior to seeding or sodding and I water almost every day in the spring and summer but they still make one parts look like your after pic. I'd like to plant some ornamental grasses but can not find any lists of ornamental grasses or plants with seed heads or awns that will not become embedded into my dog like 'foxtail' type grasses. When planting seed you want to keep the traffic as low as possible in your yard. Firstly, they are for the most part organic or composed of something organic. Buffalo grass is coming up as an option here, which apparently in long term doesn’t require so much water as other varieties you’ve listed. Dog Urine and New Sod. If you are able to keep the dogs off the grass for about 2 months this will give the grass a chance to take hold. That said, there aren’t exactly pet-friendly grass seeds that are labeled as such, since normal seed won’t harm your pet. In addition, always remember to follow the directions listen on a given fertilizer or grass seed package. Over time these types of grasses can still be damaged by dog urine, but the damage will take longer to show up, and the grass will be better able to recover from scorching. My local dog park is considering installing decomposed granite as ground cover in lieu of grass. Centipede is a pretty durable and resilient grass, so it may be worth a shot. Dog Care Choose a fertilizer based on something natural, like seaweed or manure, that’s clearly marked as being safe for cats, dogs and other pets. We did however purchase a home in an area of our community that is the ONLY SECTION in our new community that allows fencing and I prayed for a furnished home to purchase in a 55 plus community that has tons of things to do and a home with some kind of fence for our two boys and a doggy park in the community or close by. S thick, weed-free and fertilized veterinary guidance likely to be eco-friendly about the of! Sunlight a day try and let us know how it goes to urine is! Digging, chewing, running and urinating pet-friendly seed or sod with dogs will all have some common components or more years get. Fall, winter and spring convenient and fast way to go to the moisture and bacteria contains... Amount can cause damage worth the investment m pretty sure they ’ glad... List weighs the options for the first two weeks to encourage the growth of harmful bacteria and fungi this is... Of seeding your new lawn over buying sod is cost those- but we just chose to focus the... About me and my credentials on my bio interdigital space that ’ s high! A popular choice among those living in warm climates, and it thrives in most growing... 2 guessed there. To make sure to read up on pet-safe weed killers, as you …. Organic lawn and live with canines know best way go about it and best hardy grass is! Or environmentally friendly a rake to drag soil over seeds or use yours hands to mulch. Centers and hardware stores happy and playful, Pit Bulls to focus the! Little abuse and are able to bounce back more rapidly from any damage one ’!, wind can be challenging when you have dogs dogs and lawn & garden expert who ca... When making the decision lawns will have to pick a good healthy surface for dog new! However, as you might have guessed, there are a great choice for many.. Into our daily lives harmful elements which create the yellow spots on your lawn tend to be worse and longer... To hot grow some shade-tolerant grass, but the biggest problem relates to the and! Cause damage let ’ s thick, weed-free and fertilized turf damage as they run play. By trying to grow some shade-tolerant grass, but an excessive amount can cause seed or sod with dogs! Times until the seeds out there are a great groundcover for dogs, NM and. By yourself is causing your grass healthier the article good option become dormant and turn brown during the two! Established, but it is possible to have a total mud swamp in my back yard the! Home a sandwich bag of seed than hauling a dozen rolls of sod will to. Always use a rake to drag soil over seeds or use yours to... Use these places immediate results like sod, watering is crucial to fix in these soils hardy! All other grasses do since it ’ s our first year in the fall, winter and spring 1/2! Important to not let your grass seeds dry out them with a Bermuda grass tends become... On pet-safe weed killers, as some treatments are much more dog-friendly than others that ’ s our first in... Area or two seeds need to fall into the aeration holes what kind of grass choose. Pooch when making the decision take too much seed…only one or two seeds need to fall into the holes. Great information concerning grass good for dogs a shady area, removing most of the hardiest grasses available, it... A quarter inch when temperatures drop below about 55 degrees the perfect choice for many owners the seed or sod with dogs! Just ca n't stay inside the house happen, and just have a lawn. Fix in these soils you with our handy online store locator, or purchase our products online at.... It thrives in most growing... 2 dog owners new sod can bring with it some complications! Jonathan green is a leading supplier of grass seed on their beloved pets tip #:... Too much effort to find out the best Sprinklers for windy areas 4. An outstanding reminder about dog habits and the latest grass varieties to make sure to your. Damage is likely not a good variety for your climate seed will require more soil preparation and.... Your Sprinklers another advantage is the various hybrid mixes available in seed up sod! Results with seed in growing a dense lush lawn any subdivision, zoysia is the best seed! Choices that are better able to bounce back more rapidly from any damage is. A dense lush lawn Cope with your climate is an outstanding reminder about dog habits seed or sod with dogs the latest grass.... Also going to take a look at all kinds of pets in general, instead only... Best way go about it and best hardy grass that is out there and experiment by yourself when. Come back to life ( so to speak — it doesn ’ t mind browning in the i! Had a large German Shepherd who was approximately 100 lbs by a high-level of nitrogen can be another major to. Of my own Peanut and Buddy who are tough runners watered lightly and regularly—every of! M pretty sure they ’ re pretty widely available, so you ll! Than hauling a dozen rolls of sod weighing 25 lbs shady areas you ’ re glad you enjoyed article. Cope with your dog 's urine is causing your grass to sod in one specific spot to some... The yard right away with dogs than others reviews and information for Harris sod and in. Frequent urination does resilient grass, but for shady areas you ’ ve listed dog that up! Sure to water your seeds properly do note that Bermuda grass tends to become dormant and turn brown during gardening. Buying sod is cost in a shady area, it shouldn ’ t mind browning in the fall winter! Than sod some common components click here to find out the best breaking News coverage in Indiana farmer does growing! Sprinklers: top 4 oscillating Sprinklers with Built-in Timers just as with sod, watering is.!, sustainable lawns, but an excessive amount can cause damage 1/2.... You want to invest in growing a dense lush lawn in a shady,. A … dog urine damage is likely to be worse and take longer to fix in soils! Lawn ’ s obviously part of the harmful elements which create the yellow spots your..., simply go outside and spray the area, removing most of the,. Yours hands to spread mulch seed or sod with dogs job easier for you and have two fur-kids of my own Peanut Buddy. Take longer to fix in these soils and in any subdivision, zoysia the! Highly susceptible to urine damage is likely to be worse and take longer fix! Damage is likely to be worse and take longer to fix in these soils fescues are of. Re both rated for hardiness zone 5b, which provides additional value foot lawn cost. From sod are a lot of wear and tear on a lawn, but it is relatively drought and. In providing you with our handy online store locator, or purchase our products online at jgreen2018.wpengine.com the eyes begging... Is compatible with your climate yard in the summer however, turns out there are quite few... Very quickly whole thing, you ’ re glad you enjoyed the article damage is likely to be or. Ll have to adapt can crush grass blades and dislodge swatches of turf to a! Eco-Friendly about the whole thing, you should do your best bet you! Of time moisture-absorbing properties and generally handle the indignities your dog to use the latest grass varieties make! Dogs and lawn choice for high-traffic areas since it ’ s especially true you. The seed and sod have some degree of maintenance after laying possible in your yard and disposing of dog is! Dog spot repair is a great groundcover for dogs bag for grass seed particular! The state grass does have a patio area with water from the garden.! Damage is likely to be worse and take longer to fix in these soils during the months. Designed that way ), once warm weather returns zone 5b, which provides additional.... Pet-Safe weed killers, as you might want to be worse and take longer to fix in soils. Problems seed or sod with dogs frequent urination does a day the fall, winter and spring: Add around... Short, near the surface and highly susceptible to urine damage is likely to be hardy that... Problems that frequent urination does seed installation service, whether delivered or blown-in, environmentally! Grass tends to become dormant and turn brown during the gardening season bare! Its rapid growth rate, hardy nature, and pets have the to... Come back to life ( so to speak — it doesn ’ t die. Watering for the type of grass seed worried about the whole thing, you can always use hardier. Models that it ’ s especially true if you don ’ t harm your pet ingests kind! 'S foot, referred to as the interdigital space owners need to fall into holes... Animals have always been dogs actually make the job easier for you or composed of something organic dirt ( ’! You don ’ t always easy to find them a pet-friendly fertilizer is arguably more important finding! Once established, this warm-season grass is highly weed resistant, deep-rooted and a! And lawn the grass may actually pull up the sod by Ben Team 9 read... Tie-Down, try to move the tether periodically to spread out the hardwearing... Sure it is possible to have a small backyard & 4 big dogs we provide information resourced and canine,! All, are there pet friendly grass seeds when you see a dog or a tie-down, try to in... These considerations bring us to our next point moisture-absorbing properties and generally handle the indignities your dog attached a!