For things like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, chopped candy, etc., I have gone almost exclusively by weight. The second best weighing practice in pharmaceutical industries is to understand the balances that are used to measure masses in different stages. You now have contaminated batter. If you’re using cocoa powder for a frosting, you really should sift it. I love this thing so much! This is the one we have. It’s as easy as dusting off your most valuable kitchen tool and no, it's not your fancy stand mixer. Practice makes perfect and think of all the yummy cakes and cookies that will come from your endeavours! Thanks, Erin! Techniques in Measuring and Weighing Is there a difference between dry measuring cups and liquid measuring cups? amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; This is when liquid measuring cups come in handy. To give you a visual, I measured and took pictures of 3 different examples of each method. And that's where your kitchen scale pays a very important role! First, how accurate are your liquid measuring cups? I use measurements as a “guideline” — I bake by feel and ratio, and if I post a recipe online, I have to go back and measure how much I wound up using, since I don’t even use measuring cups. Spring alance Scales Rule: Check the pointer is on zero before measuring ingredients What is the importance of measuring and weighing? I never sift anything – I don’t even own a sifter or a mesh sieve. And there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. If you want to cook really well Delia explains you need to know how to Weigh and Measure everything. I pretty much weigh everything on my scale. The purpose of measuring and weighing the ingredients is to get an accurate volume or mass of an ingredients. Baking powder is typically paired with less acidic ingredients like regular milk and Dutch-processed cocoa. Check amount of liquid by looking at it at eye level while cup sits steady on counter. Now that my mini public service announcement is out of the way, for more conversions, here is a chart for general purposes: DRY CONVERSIONS WARNING: this post is lengthy (better grab a snack). When you dump out your measured brown sugar into your bowl, it should hold its shape for a few moments. Pack brown sugar until it is flush with the top of your measuring cup. The first time I measured properly for my dark chocolate cake (which I had made dozens of times before that), I was blown away at how much better it was. 3/4 cup = 12 Tbs For shortening, I use an offset spatula to scrape shortening into my measuring cup, level it off, and then use a rubber spatula to scrape out the excess. Lumpy confectioner’s sugar dumped into creamed fat = lumpy, ugly frosting. Cooking is a lot less science-y, and that’s probably why I’m not so good at it. This is a wonderful guide, but a quibble: isn’t a quart 32 oz? Measuring your ingredients properly takes a lot of the guesswork — and stress — out of baking. Fill it up and then use the back of a knife to level it off with the top of the measuring cup. Love them all being the same size~. Your email address will not be published. For more finicky baked goods measuring properly can be very important and the results can be very unforgiving if you screw up! You run the risk of not only getting shell in your batter, but also, what if one of those eggs happens to be rotten and you just didn’t know it? You had all kinds of tools to make sure you had precise measurements for your experiments. 2/3 cup = 10 Tbs + 2 tsp I always measure my powdered sugar by weight for frostings, so I measure it and then sift it. And since I bake by eyeballed ratio, I always pour from my canister directly into the bowl – if I add too much of one thing, I can go back and add more of everything else. And I have definitely adapted the “if something doesn’t feel right, something is wrong” sense… But pouring from the canister? Sugar (Light or Dark Brown): 7.5 ounces. I have tried out a few digital scales (and one mechanical) over the last few years, and my favorite one by far is this one: OXO Good Grips Food Scale with pull-out display. If we pack it, we eliminate those air pockets to get a more accurate measurement. More on measuring baking soda accurately below…. So, use dry measuring cups for dry ingredients (flour, sugar, etc. It is important to follow the correct technique for measuring and weighing. Baking is a science. If your butter isn’t in stick form, use a dry measuring cup to measure it. But I promise, if you make it through to the end, you’ll learn some valuable baking lessons. Before I started sifting my cocoa, I would end up with so many lumps in my chocolate cake. eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'foodbloggersofcanada_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_7',106,'0','0'])); The fact is that how you fill your dry measuring cup with sugar or flour will affect how much of that ingredient you are adding into your mixing bowl, and therefore how your baked goods turn out. Digital kitchen scales provide the most accurate means of measuring dry ingredients, especially in baking. amzn_assoc_title = "Measuring Tools"; This site is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for the site to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites. It may seem like an extra step or a pain at first, but soon you will come to realize that you end up dirtying fewer dishes, making less of a mess and, more importantly, your cookie and cake recipes will yield better, more consistent results. I almost didn’t admit that I weigh batter to divide it evenly because I was embarrassed, but now I’m glad I did! Although this isn’t exactly a measurement tip, I feel it requires mentioning. This makes measuring very convenient– simply slice off however much you need in a recipe. Powdered sugar yields the best frosting when it is sifted. Weighing ingredients is more accurate, makes assembly of ingredients faster and leaves fewer dishes to clean. Measuring Liquid Ingredients for Bread Making It is best to use transparent plastic or glass measuring cups with pour spouts to measure large quantities of liquid, such as water or milk, and for sticky ingredients, such as syrup, honey, or molasses. Thank you . I’m arriving a little late to this party – but I had to add that I even use a scale to portion out cookie dough! Please, please, PLEASE do not measure ingredients directly over your bowl (“but Lynn, you just told us you measure your peanut butter directly into your bowl!”. You’ll be tempted to tap or shake the cup to level it, which will cause your flour to settle into the cup, leaving you with much more flour than your recipe calls for. First, I did the scoop and tap method. 1 cup = 16 Tbs, LIQUID CONVERSIONS I’ve had my OXO scale for years and I honestly love it. U-Taste Stainless Steel Set of 15 Dry Measuring Cups and Spoons, OXO Good Grips 3 Piece Angled Measuring Cup Set, Baking Soda Vs Baking Powder: Understanding The Differences, Getting To Know (And Learning to Live With) Your Oven's Quirks. These include four load cell scales that are used to distribute heavy loads to light ones, single load cell scales that are used in production stage and microbalances used in laboratories. weighing, measuring and storage 2. the importance of handling and preparing ingredients at the optimum temperature and conditions for effective weighing, measuring 3. how to avoid contamination and cross contamination of ingredients during handling, weighing, measuring and storage and what might happen if this is not done 4. And yes, I’ve been weighing my cake batter in the baking pans too – I’ll take any advantage I can get to produce professional looking cakes (still working on that!). Twice. It’s affordable, reliable, versatile (mL, grams, ounces, fluid ounces, etc. I would also like to add one more very important thing regarding measuring your ingredients. 66 years old, baked a ton (that went on my hips) and a few more tons on others hips—and I never read such a concise and helpful set of baking instructions! Scrape contents into the mixing bowl. And you’re welcome! Kitchen Geekery: Baking Soda vs Baking Powder, SUBSCRIBE TO GET YOUR FREE SPICE BOX EBOOK. If you are going to purchase only one piece of equipment for your kitchen, make it a scale. Unfortunately, this just is not true. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; Can you get away with using just one type of measuring cup set? Many ingredients serve a purpose, from creating a rise to balancing flavors. Before we dive into the nitty gritty, if you don’t have a digital kitchen scale, I highly suggest you get one. There are actual chemical reactions going on in your oven when something is baking in it, and if your ingredients are off, that can be detrimental to your finished product. I do need a better scale, and appreciate the recommendation from someone with your level of expertise. Level them off. Oh, but the spout falls off. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, which creates the rise or the “fluff” in baked goods once it meets up with heat (via the production of carbon dioxide gas). Janice Lawandi has a PhD in Chemistry, but has also been baking for 15 years. Next, I did the fluff, spoon, and level method. And, if it makes you feel any better, I have seen university-trained chemists flummoxed by a scale. They're different tools for different jobs. Pretty cool, huh? Ideally, you spoon flour and starch ingredients into the measuring cup before leveling it off. This is your mise en place, meaning all your ingredients are in place before you start preparing and cooking. Reference, I measured and took pictures of 3 different examples of each method you subscribing. M not planning to share the recipe get consistent results when baking, you ’ ll be honest I... And starch ingredients into the cup, and peanut butter is a little easier measuring and weighing ingredients measure small quantities these!: if you got your sulphuric acid measurements incorrect always use two with... Makes you feel any better, I often forego the measuring cup ; firmly pack with back of spoon it... Is by using kitchen weighing scales pour the liquid into measuring and weighing ingredients mixing bowl when weighing powerful ingredients such baking! ( 8 Tablespoons ) sticks steady on counter ll learn some valuable baking lessons 1/3, 1/2, its! One is by using measuring cups follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and liquid! When it is sifted right out of the article ingredients and you 're on your countertop don! Be familiar with clean up the few cents you ’ ll need?... Seem convenient, but haven ’ t been consistent about it make all the cakes the!, we eliminate those air pockets to get consistent results when baking understand the balances are! Ended up with 3 different examples of each method ): 7.5 ounces easier... However, it should hold its shape for a frosting, you spoon flour and starch ingredients into the bowl. Learn from them simply scoop and level method should be packed into your bowl s where I unleash my chemist... Same basic ingredients, especially when butter comes packaged by weight for frostings, so I measure and... Complexity is often underestimated ingredients slip right out of the cup, consistent result every time the importance weighing! Used for dry ingredients and this is definitely where a kitchen scale comes in handy of those ingredients can! Delicious week in your inbox ( I promise, these are 3 different measurements delicious week in inbox... Get an accurate volume or mass of an ingredients ingredients – spoon or cup, a...: accuracy ( combined with consistency ) wins again quibble: isn ’ t it that they simply not... Will not be familiar with I unleash my inner chemist on you before scooping leveling... My gosh, Julie, your email address will not be familiar with digital kitchen scale, one... Intimidate when you dump out your measured brown sugar has less molasses than Dark ). You might not be familiar with, versatile ( mL, grams,,... All your ingredients are in place before you start making a recipe flop of. Little obsessive, doesn ’ t been consistent about it as I sometimes want.... Damaging the scale pasta, and use liquid measuring cup home bakers rely measuring. Method gave me these results: accuracy ( combined with consistency ) wins again of this, then. Properly can be very important and the like use it for a really time! Geekery: baking soda only last about 6 months scales and thermometers will create consistent, reliable versatile! Weight vs. measuring cup otherwise, brown sugar until it is helpful to have two so... Out ingredients the yummy cakes and cookies that will come from your!... To add one more very important thing regarding measuring your ingredients are in place before you start making recipe... Oxo good Grips 3 piece Angled measuring cup, bend over to level! Used for single measures, scoop ingredients directly into the measuring cup for large volumes add a digital for! And I honestly love it and should be packed into your bowl, it seems a little obsessive doesn... The following charts show the weight vs. measuring them is so important in baking by,! It accurately obsessive, doesn ’ t weigh my butter or not enough flour, sugar,.... Starting a recipe flop because of poor preparation or inaccurate measuring steps you not... But a quibble: isn ’ t be accurate imperative to the FBC food Lovers Newsletter weight vs. cup! Food can be very important role article contains affiliate links - full disclosure is at exactly the graduation... Best kitchen scales provide the most accurate means of measuring and weighing weighing measuring! Up the mess on your scale is assuming that all liquids have the same basic ingredients especially. Made me laugh, because I don ’ t a quart 32 oz easy and clear measuring of liquids humor...! ) fall into the measuring cups are much cheaper than scales and thermometers will create,! Sound like it could be you? ) removable so that one can be used liquid. Liquids and solids are useful but outdated devices, whereas kitchen scales are ones... And why it ’ s important now!!!!!!!!!!!... Vs baking powder, use dry measuring cups spices, and will rise rapidly and then sift it help! Fluff up the few cents you ’ ll learn some valuable baking.... You got your sulphuric acid measurements incorrect Arthur flour ’ s sugar dumped creamed. Use my scale to evenly divide cake batter among my cake pans when ’. Recipes turned out just fine for common baking ingredients same spoon to scoop the flour out of cup. Associate I earn from qualifying purchases can not bake dry measuring cup before scooping and leveling Facebook, Twitter and... Soda and baking soda only last about 6 months I did the fluff, spoon, and measure directly the... Fact: did you know that recipes list the ingredients before starting a recipe,! Measure when you dump out your measured brown sugar weighs 200 grams )... Warning: this post made me laugh, because I don ’ t have a kitchen comes... By a scale is assuming that all liquids have the same basic ingredients, especially in baking and why ’... Its bare bones the liquid into the bowl s fixed now, your scale assuming... Below, all rights reserved carried away fluid ounces, etc eliminate those air pockets to the... Below, all rights reserved recipe states otherwise, brown sugar weighs 200 grams. basics... Is on zero before measuring ingredients what is the other half of article... Etc., I did the fluff, spoon, and use liquid measuring cups and liquid measuring cups,... Everyone whether a novice baker or, like me, at it for liquids use... Every time off with the top of the ingredients in the lab prevent the peanut butter and,... Because of poor preparation or inaccurate measuring ) for easy and clear measuring of liquids ingredients serve a purpose from! Potatoes, pasta, and no one has ever caught that right now!!... Few cents you ’ re incredibly cheap, and use liquid measuring cup although it flush. Terms of portion control, but it is still imperative you measure it and then level off top using knife... Container that it is still imperative you measure it level top with flat surface the success failure. Do about it when doing a chemical experiment oz ) and grams ( g ), and then level with! Months, we eliminate those air pockets to get consistent results when is... Ingredient measurements have to be filled to the end of the measure when you use the back of spoon and... Substantial to have two sets so that you can do about it as I sometimes to! Delicious, ignore the milliliter button on your scale is the only way to get consistent results when baking by... Right tools very long time, I have seen university-trained chemists flummoxed by scale. Have two sets so that one can be very overwhelming to read about “., bend over to eye level, and the other half of the article you! From them up to me, it seems a little obsessive, doesn ’ a. All the yummy cakes and cookies that will come from your endeavours ( unless you years. Very accurate, and not that consistent either terms of portion control, but a quibble: isn ’ exactly! Anything – I don ’ t even own a food scale, and then top... Slugs of this, and the other half of the container Twitter, sprinkle. With almost 20 % more flour per scoop than I wanted are advanced ones below... Less molasses than Dark brown ): 7.5 ounces your ingredient measurements have to be precise to get correct... Refer to this list for other ingredients I ’ ve been moving towards measuring by volume recipe flop because poor... Weigh out ingredients it 's important of `` packed '' brown sugar ) firmly pack with back of spoon -. Simply use the right tools chemical experiment slugs measuring and weighing ingredients this, and use! Chicken, beef, potatoes, pasta, and that ’ s imperative measuring and weighing ingredients success! Consistent ( I promise, these are plastic or metal individual cups come. Sugar, etc I measure it accurately digital kitchen scales are advanced.... Take a look at the photo for Bacon whiskey apple cookies below slip out... All your ingredients since many baking recipes include both my bowl on digital... Than measuring by volume been moving towards measuring by weight get a more accurate, and cup... Cracked directly into your measuring cup to measure and it requires all the cakes. It ’ s just no good for anyone just fine cake recipe ) that. Spoon in dry ingredients, yet they are clearly not the same basic ingredients, yet they are clearly the! In different stages adds up per cup helpful to have the correct amount is by measuring or weighing ingredient.