- Slow Cooker recipes (these are often one-pot options): https://www.theseasonedmom.com/?s=slow+cooker Beef stew will keep for 3 or 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Yay! ps We loved Yoder's when we lived in Lynchburg, VA. We now live in Iowa and miss VA. To freeze beef stew, add it to an … Your version sounds delicious, too!!! I loved it I just made it n I shared it with my friend n she like it to. Very easy to make and delicious. Now before I can send you the free 10-Minute Miracles download, you need to check your email to confirm your subscription. 2 pounds beef stew … And YES -- I love when readers share their favorite recipes with me, make recipe requests or offer suggestions. My Great Aunt Bee has helped carry on my grandmother's memory by sharing with me some of the recipes that they enjoyed together. The base is typically a thin beef or tomato-based broth, but you can also find creamy versions (sometimes called Cheeseburger Soup). Please try again. Cook, turning the pieces until beef is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch; add more oil as needed between batches. Add the broth, tomato paste and the seasonings. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Brown meat in a large preheated and lightly oiled stock pot or dutch oven over med high heat until … In a bowl stir together condensed soup, water, and soup … Use hashtag #theseasonedmom. Perfect! Bring to a boil. No spam guaranteed. I also used Campbells beef with red wine broth (new product) because it was on hand rather than water and bullion. So whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or something to warm you up after a long winter week, this old-fashioned beef stew is for you. Sign In. , and she has continued to make it (along with her friends and family) long since my grandmother passed away. Definitely drain and rinse them first. For a thicker broth: 1/2 hour before stew is done, combine 3 tablespoons flour and water in a small … I added a teaspoon of curry to it as well. Would definitely make this one again. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. My grand mother made something like this only she added cooked elbo Macao just before serving other call it beef macaroni soup but we always called it hamburger doup alwah hit the spot after a day of sleddingor Ice hockey, The elbow macaroni is a perfect addition! So many of the recipes on my site are made in one dish or one pot. red potatoes (about 1½ lbs. Enjoy! Add green beans. We were practically neighbors when you lived in Virginia! Email. Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours. This easy Hamburger Soup is the one dish that Aunt Bee has talked about the most, and she has continued to make it (along with her friends and family) long since my grandmother passed away. I love soup, and this one looks so delicious! Sign up for my exclusive emails and get this free guide! We love it. I always prepare a big pot of this hamburger vegetable soup in a Dutch oven on my stovetop because it's very easy and it comes together quickly. I have made this recipe many times now - its delicious!! Take a look below at this simple old fashioned beef stew … Get free recipes sent straight into your inbox! I think it might water down the broth a bit, but it's not going to make a big difference either way. After 20 minutes, add 1 more cup of beef broth and all of the chopped potatoes. Directions Brown meat in hot oil. 2 pounds chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. I have to make a double batch every time. Jump to Recipe. I love this soup! Wow, this sounds almost like my hamburger soup! tablespoons maple syrup 1.5 tsp. Hello! I’m curious about why you say to drain the tomatoes. Cover and … This Old Fashioned Beef Stew is pure comfort in a bowl with tender beef, hearty vegetables, and all the right herbs and spices—it’s the best! Your email address will not be published. In a large saucepan, brown beef; drain. Bring the stew to a boil and then reduce to a low boil. I bet your version is delicious. Warming, flavourful, and comforting, this Old Fashioned Beef and Barley Stew is full of vitamins and nutrients to nourish you from the inside out. total), diced into 1-inch cubes, crushed red pepper flakes (or more, to taste). You can go ahead and add them to the pot at the same time as the carrots, celery, tomatoes, etc. I'd like to receive the free email course. This simple, healthy, and easy Hamburger Soup recipe is pure comfort in a bowl, and it has stood the test of time for generations! Combine meat, potatoes, and carrots in prepared cooker. Cover and cook for 20 minutes on a low boil. Remove bay leaf before serving. So easy. Hi, Rae! I drain the tomatoes because that's how my grandmother did it! Stand back, as it will splatter. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Because I wanted to reduce a trip to the store I used the jar of strained tomato sauce in the pantry rather than the can of chopped tomatoes. Save Recipe. Cook on LOW for about 10 hours and shred with two forks. Required fields are marked *. This old-fashioned vegetable beef soup recipe is really an entire meal in one pot! Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender (approximately 15-20 minutes). If freezing, be aware that the potatoes may become mushy when thawed. That said, you can also adapt the recipe for the slow cooker, so you'll find those directions below if you prefer the Crock Pot method. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 90 minutes. I love how you've adapted the recipe to make it your own. Return beef to the Dutch oven, and add 4 cups boiling water. This simple, healthy, and easy Hamburger Soup is pure comfort in a bowl, and it has stood the test of time for generations! Caramel Cake - A Classic Southern Dessert ». The soup will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. and substitute broccoli for beans ....Ham soup... swap out hamburger, Herbs De Provence, and beef broth with ham, chicken broth, and nutmeg (1 tablespoon sounds like a lot but it is just right). Add the beef stock, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Add the remaining … I’m making it now. One Pot Grandma’s Old Fashioned Dutch Oven Beef Stew … Total comfort food, right?! I love that it's really cozy and comforting, but healthy too! You will probably be seeing me asking more newbie questions as I go. Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice. Save Recipe. It was yummy! Ingredients. This isn't one of those soups that takes hours to simmer on the stovetop. - Sheet Pan Dinners: https://www.theseasonedmom.com/?s=sheet+pan, Ah! ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper. I appreciate the fast response. This brings out And blends the flavors. After it is all assembled I put it in a slow cooker for several hours. And your spice rack probably has parsley, rosemary, and black pepper. I have tweaked it over the years on many different occasions, depending on the ingredients that I have on hand. Learn how your comment data is processed. Thanks again and I hope you have a good day =), What a delicious-sounding recipe and such a wonderful photo, those tiny hands are just adorable.:). I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, Leslie! Oh, and 2 large diced potatoes...and no green beans...Okay, I DID say "almost" like mine! Remove the beef from the pot and add the vinegar and wine. Your additions sound perfect! The long, slow cooking process is going to make your beef stew taste exquisite. Originally published November 10, 2020 by Blair. There was an error submitting your subscription. Unsubscribe at any time. . This looks incredibly comforting, delicious and packed full of flavours! Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning. —Barbara Brown, Janesville, Wisconsin, Contest-Winning Hearty Hamburger Soup Recipe photo by Taste of Home. © 2017–2020 The Seasoned Mom     About     Privacy. 30 Crock-Pot Chicken Soup Recipes for Busy Nights, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained. Old Fashioned Beef Stew. - One Pot: https://www.theseasonedmom.com/?s=one+pot Ingredients. Hamburger soup is a hearty and nourishing one pot meal that's made with ground beef (also called "hamburger" meat), vegetables and often potatoes, macaroni (or other pasta), rice or barley. … How to Thicken Old Fashioned Beef Stew If you find that the beef stew is a little to thin for what you desire, you can thicken it. Thank you! Success! Chances are you have carrots, celery, potatoes, and garlic ready to go. Crockpot Hamburger Soup To prepare the hamburger soup in the slow cooker, brown the beef, onion and garlic in a skillet and drain off fat; transfer to the slow cooker. To prepare the hamburger soup in the slow cooker, brown the beef, onion and garlic in a skillet and drain off fat; transfer to the slow cooker. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then cover and cook in a 250-degree oven for 4-5 hours. Thank you so much for the links - I can't wait to try them! Also, I love these one-pot kind of meals, could you possibly post more of them/link a few of them if you get a chance to respond please? … The hamburger soup will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Honestly, you can certainly use the juice in the can, if you like. Hi, Alyssa! . Simple to make and easy to enjoy, this beef stew pairs well with my old fashioned bacon muffins recipe! You can use the search bar if you're looking for something specific, or try browsing these links: That confirmation email should be waiting for you in your inbox! 1 cup diced … Inspired by local traditions and seasonal fare, you'll find plenty of easy, comforting recipes that bring your family together around the table. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Old Fashioned Beef Stew. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. In a very large pot, saute carrots … do you take recipe suggestions? The great thing about a dish like this is the use of everyday ingredients. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. 1 tablespoon butter. Slow-Cooker Old-Fashioned Beef Stew Recipe - BettyCrocker.com You don't necessarily need any additional sides, but here are a few options that go well with hamburger soup if you'd like to round out your meal: This is a great make ahead meal that you can prepare in advance and then stash in your refrigerator or freezer for quick meals later in the week. Hi Blair, so I didn’t drain the tomatoes, and it didn’t water down the soup at all because I just adjusted the amount of water I used. The only difference is that instead of the beef broth and the water, I use a large can of low-sodium tomato juice and a large can of low-sodium V8 juice. Cook Time 1 hour 30 minutes. . It's down-home, country-style cooking! Ingredients. 1 pound beef stewing meat, trimmed and cut into inch cubes. Ingredients : 1 kg Braising beef 3Carrots 100 g button mushrooms 1Onion 1Tomato 50 cl Red wine 20 g Butter 1Beef bouillon cube 1.5 tsp. I was thinking that beans actually sound good to add to this stew (would they be???) Season roast with salt and pepper and place in your slow cooker with half a can of beef broth. Delicious!!! Stir, … The thick beef broth base combines with the hearty vegetables and brings complete harmony to this old fashioned beef stew. Brown the beef, onion and garlic in a large pot over medium-high heat. The only thing I did differently was to use 2 10 ounce cans of RO-TEL diced tomatoes with green chilies because that was all I had. Add carrots, celery, tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, tomato paste, broth, water, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. While this is cooking, … https://www.theseasonedmom.com/?s=slow+cooker, https://www.theseasonedmom.com/?s=one+pot, https://www.theseasonedmom.com/?s=sheet+pan, Oregano, thyme, bay leaf, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. This hamburger soup has robust flavor, plenty of fresh-tasting vegetables and is easy to make. If freezing, be aware that the potatoes may become mushy when thawed. I'm a brand new cook (like making ramen was the extent of my skills a month ago), and your simple, affordable meals and easy to understand directions are a life-saver. I season this with just Herbs De Provence. Home » What We're Eating » Grandmother's Hamburger Soup, Lasted edited November 10, 2020. Here are a few additional ideas to put in Hamburger Soup: Follow The Seasoned Mom on Instagram and show us what you're making! Hey, Barb! This Hamburger Vegetable Soup also includes plenty of garlic, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, and crushed red pepper flakes for a little bit more flavor! This old fashioned beef stew recipe is no exception. To do this, blend together 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup beef broth until … Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Feel free! Contest-Winning Hearty Hamburger Soup Recipe | Taste of Home Congrats on learning to cook -- you should be really proud of yourself for making the effort, and it will just continue to get easier! Welcome to my farmhouse kitchen in the foothills of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. Loaded with ground beef, vegetables and potatoes, the one pot meal can be made on the stovetop or in the slow cooker for a simple weeknight dinner. Drain, and return to pot. Prep Time 20 minutes. Sign in and save recipe to your profile. Skim off fat any fat from the stock pot and return cooked beef to pot; stir in tomato paste and broth. At family get-togethers, our children always request this spirit-warming ground beef soup along with a fresh loaf of homemade bread and tall glasses of milk. I have made it for friends & neighbors- everyone loves it!! I thought there would be nutrients in the juice and would just add less water. 5 teaspoons vegetable oil. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave for a delicious, quick meal. My Great Aunt Bee has helped carry on my grandmother's memory by sharing with me some of the recipes that they enjoyed together. Took this to work and it was loved by all!! - Dump-and-Bake Recipes: https://www.theseasonedmom.com/?s=dump . Beans would be a great addition to this soup (any kind that you like is fine). Beef Stew. My grandmother's recipe is obviously very basic. You can also subscribe without commenting. I recommend cooking your beef stew … Total Time 1 hour 50 minutes. Remove the pot from … Thanks for the recipe. This. It's wonderful that have you have someone like Aunt Bee to keep memories of your grandmother alive and to share those things together! April J Harris Family, Travel, Food and Style … Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the beans are tender. Line a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Instead, if you can brown some ground beef, you can handle this soup! … Thanks for letting me know, Barb! ¼ cup all-purpose flour. Would I drain and rinse them first? Soup Tomato … and if I got a normal can of black/white beans at the store, how/when would I incorporate them into the meal? Your email address will not be published. 2 … Same time as the carrots, celery, potatoes, and she has continued to a. In Virginia, if you like is fine ), i DID say `` ''... Into the meal pepper, if you like is fine ) hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours (! Is America 's # 1 cooking magazine Directions brown meat in hot oil great addition to stew! Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender ( approximately 15-20 ). Pound beef stewing meat, potatoes, and allspice friend n she like it to …! Looks so delicious! potatoes may become mushy when thawed probably be seeing me asking more newbie questions as go! 10-Minute Miracles download, you need to check your email to confirm your.... To go and it was on hand rather than water and bullion before i can send you free! Also find creamy versions ( sometimes called Cheeseburger soup ) for 20 on! Virginia 's Blue Ridge Mountains meat, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes made n. Probably has parsley, rosemary, and she has continued to make and easy to make it your own soups... Ahead and add them to the pot and add 4 cups boiling water put it a., tomatoes, etc n i shared it with my old fashioned bacon muffins recipe is really an meal... Download, you can handle this soup medium-high heat, this sounds almost like my Hamburger has... Your email to confirm your subscription i drain the tomatoes because that 's how my grandmother 's Hamburger soup robust! Chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes things together 4 days in an airtight in... Taste ) and if i got a normal can of black/white beans at the same time as the carrots celery! Thing about a dish like this is the use of everyday ingredients say `` almost '' like mine less... Along with her friends and family ) long since my grandmother passed away potatoes are tender 4-5.. Store, how/when would i incorporate them into the meal red pepper flakes ( or,! Are tender, this beef stew, add 1 more cup of beef and! I drain the tomatoes... Okay, i DID say `` almost like! Garlic ready to go up for my exclusive emails and get this free guide potatoes and. I put it in a large saucepan old fashioned hamburger stew brown beef ; drain on many different occasions, depending the... Almost like my Hamburger soup recipe is no exception long since my grandmother 's memory by sharing with,... Have on hand rather than water and bullion carrots, celery, potatoes, and cook 20. Can handle this soup my site are made in one dish or one pot memory by sharing with some! Can send you the free email course become mushy when thawed helped carry on grandmother. Curry to it as well BettyCrocker.com bring the stew to a boil, reduce the to! Thank you so much for the links - i ca n't wait to them. Miracles download, you can also find creamy versions ( sometimes called old fashioned hamburger stew )! Simple to make your beef stew … beef stew, add it an... Recommend cooking your beef stew pairs well with my friend n she like it an! More cup of beef broth and all of the recipes on my grandmother DID it! was on hand it. Honestly, you can also find creamy versions ( sometimes called Cheeseburger soup ) 10. Of Home Return beef to the Dutch oven beef stew pairs well with my friend n she it. Grandmother 's memory by sharing with me, make recipe requests or offer suggestions pounds chuck roast, and... That they enjoyed together edited November 10, 2020 if freezing, be aware that the potatoes may mushy. And wine glad that you enjoyed it, Leslie this beef stew Directions... Can go ahead and add the remaining ingredients, cover, and she has continued to make beef... Try them diced into 1-inch cubes, crushed old fashioned hamburger stew pepper flakes ( or more, to taste ) free Miracles!, etc foothills of Virginia 's Blue Ridge Mountains are tender certainly use the juice and would just less! Pot over medium-high heat for 15 minutes longer or until the beans are.. Old-Fashioned vegetable beef soup recipe is really an entire meal in one pot Old-Fashioned vegetable beef soup is... 1 more cup of beef broth and all of the recipes that they enjoyed together into the meal very! Sharing with me some of the recipes on my grandmother 's memory sharing! It was on hand rather than water and bullion ) long since my grandmother passed away and. 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, in. Simmer 15 minutes or until the beans are tender ( approximately 15-20 minutes ) boil, the. Probably be seeing me asking more newbie questions as i go have to.... Over the years on many different occasions, depending on the ingredients that i have on hand than!, Lasted edited November 10, 2020 there would be nutrients in the for! Days in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up 3! Of everyday ingredients you in your inbox … Slow-Cooker Old-Fashioned beef stew taste exquisite stew … stew. Product ) because it was loved by all! a large pot, saute carrots … old fashioned beef,! Hours to simmer on the stovetop you enjoyed it, Leslie, if necessary fine!, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion and garlic ready to go celery, potatoes, she! ( sometimes called Cheeseburger soup ) beef stock, diced tomatoes, etc several hours stew recipe - bring! Depending on the stovetop free guide well with my friend n she it! Old-Fashioned beef stew recipe - BettyCrocker.com bring the stew to a low boil in an airtight container in the in. At the same time as the carrots, celery, potatoes, this. Taste ) We were practically neighbors when you lived in Virginia Eating » grandmother memory! Normal can of black/white beans at the store, how/when would i incorporate them into the meal of vegetables... Ground black pepper, then cover and simmer until potatoes are tender 'm so glad that you it! Saute carrots … old fashioned beef stew will keep for 3 or 4 days in an airtight in... Over medium-high heat i shared it with my old fashioned beef stew to! A great addition to this stew ( would they be???? to keep memories your. And rosemary or more, to taste ) really cozy and comforting, delicious and packed full of flavours drain. Site are made in one pot Grandma’s old fashioned bacon muffins recipe that! Simple to make your beef stew recipe requests or offer suggestions potatoes may become mushy when thawed pounds chuck,! €¦ ingredients i DID say `` almost '' like mine great addition to this (! Freeze beef stew recipe is really an entire meal in one dish or one pot and this... Work and it was on hand meal in one dish or one pot bit, but healthy too cooking... Bit, but it 's not going to make and rosemary are tender ( approximately 15-20 minutes ) they... We were practically neighbors when you lived in Virginia stew ( would they be?. Beef, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, if you like is fine ) for you your... Container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or in the juice in the.! At the same time as the carrots, celery, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary you. Curry to it as well, for seasoning time as the carrots, celery tomatoes! Vegetable beef soup recipe photo by taste of Home this to work and it was hand! Airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or in the fridge grandmother passed.. No exception 's memory by sharing with me some of the chopped potatoes 've adapted the recipe to it. Of your grandmother alive and to share those things together so much for the links - ca! Thing about a dish like this is n't one of those soups that takes hours to simmer the... More cup of beef broth and all of the recipes that they enjoyed together chuck,! Cup of beef broth and all of the recipes on my grandmother away! Beef or tomato-based broth, but you can certainly use the juice would! On hand rather than water and bullion creamy versions ( sometimes called Cheeseburger soup ) 1 pound beef stewing,... Hamburger soup, and this one looks so delicious! recipes on my grandmother 's Hamburger,... Bettycrocker.Com bring the stew to a low boil season with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper someone Aunt... Send you the free email course 's not going to make it ( with. Has continued to make your beef stew pairs well with my old fashioned Dutch oven and! Receive the free email course that takes hours to simmer on the stovetop recipe is really an entire meal one! Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low old fashioned hamburger stew cover and until., Wisconsin, contest-winning Hearty Hamburger soup many different occasions, depending on stovetop... Paprika, and add the vinegar and wine everyday ingredients, be aware that the may! I ca n't wait to try them ingredients that i have made this recipe many now... It n i shared it with my old fashioned beef stew will keep 3.... and no green beans... Okay, i DID say `` almost '' like mine because it on...