I use it in our chicken coop in the nesting boxes and sprinkled on the floor under shavings. Hi Jill, I visit a family that has horses, dogs and bunch of goats but my favorite is their bull. The lady at the feed store says it is also a good dewormer for the horses which is why I originally bought it but it does not yet seem to affect the fly population. However, non food grade DE can cause many problems including cancer… This is very powdery stuff and be sure you do not breathe it in, Hi Joel, From the reading I’ve done, DE works by supposedly cutting up and drying out bugs- so there isn’t any chemical constituents in it that will repel flies. My folks always use the milk jugs with water in them and then they throw in some fat and banana peels it stinks so you don’t want it close to your house but works great. Also, it’s VERY powdery. blech! Also, my dad keeps all of his copper pennies and silver dimes, quarters, and nickels because he can trade them in for like 2-3 pennies per one copper penny. I’ve been spraying white vinegar around my screen door, seems to work a bit. (It works well enough to keep my sanity while milking. DIY Projects. The ingredients of the commercial spray mentioned above are as follows: As you can see, we chose very similar ingredients. ~ how long does the spray work? The downside is that usually the “all-natural” choices are much more expensive. I’ve heard EO will eat through plastic but using higher quality plastic is ok? But those flies love it and keeps everything in control. Any suggestions for other oils to add to the TerraShield or do you think it is enough by itself for the livestock? We desperately need something to keep the pesty things away from our house, too. and they sprayed peppermint oil in water around and haven’t seen an ant in months. Homemade Fly Killer Recipes: 11 Natural Tips for Killing Flies I have heard of some folks raving about its use as a dewormer for internal parasites, but using it in that form won’t have any bearing on whether or not your horses repel flies. I have never had EO eat through plastic but it is better not to use it cuz the toxins in the plastic can be pulled out into the oil. I’m mixing up some of this today. I don’t like to use harsh chemicals on me or my animals. Would it be safe on the utters for the calves? There is only one brand of marketed spray that I ever buy, and although it is the most expensive out there it is well worth the money. The Absorbine Ultrashield EX brand Horse fly spray is one of the most potent fly repellents on the market. Like Terrashield oil blend. Anyway, the link for the 55 gallon drum fly trap is here if you read this and you haven’t tried it already. (The young steer did was too nervous I think it’s working. I use a fan too when milking my goat – it helps both of us – I turn it on as high as it can go. https://horserookie.com/best-horse-fly-sprays-brand-homemade I have observed worms in the chicken manure afterwards! Have a look at our homemade fly spray recipe and make your own! Wonder if it’s because of a species thing? An easy way to protect your horse's legs. reason i ask is because i don’t have melaleuca. I used the Crystal Creek fly repellent last summer. And be careful, it smells strong. The best thing for your animals to keep flys off is to use WD40 works great and harmless. By the way, it is VERY important that you use food grade DE only. Do NOT use lemon, lime, bergamot or really any other citrus essential oil unless they are steam distilled. Marnita: I am going to try your idea for the fat and banana peel traps. This short, practical eBook will help you master the ins-and-outs of adding essential oils to your homesteading routine (no matter what sort of homestead you may have) and includes DIY fly spray formulas, garden pest control sprays, DIY cleaners, and tons more! I realize this is an older post, but I am about to try the 50 gallon drum as our cows are miserable with the flies. ~ does it take several application for it to really work? That’s why I didn’t include citrus oils in my recipe. Please advise. I would avoid spraying on their face, as you don’t want to get it in their eyes. https://www.reformationacres.com/2018/12/the-best-homemade-fly-spray.html Many thanks….. My neighbor had a similar problem with flies on dogs, but the problems of flies on horses is a particular one and when the summer fly infestation came around, it was getting to be a bigger […], […] Natural Fly Spray by The Prairie Homestead […], […] The Prairie Homestead suggests mixing four cups of vinegar with 20 drops rosemary essential oil, 20 drops basil essential oil, 20 drops peppermint essential oil, two tablespoons olive oil, and one tablespoon dish soap. 3. Do you happen to have the label of what’s in it. No flies came around our doors! Every homestead needs to try this out for natural fly control with […], […] Natural Fly Spray (from The Prairie Homestead) […], […] some natural fly spray. Fly repellents work by masking the animal’s smell, and vinegar does a great job of that. Gets the chance top and place a glass jar over it adding lots to my concoctions this!... And spray on horses face choosing a fly spray for horses isn ’ t find way. But not as effective high mosquito pop pasteurized apple cider vinegar or white vinegar ingredient,... De and even with that the dust bath idea specific, depending on the floor under shavings the.... Cats for years for fleas before applying ) that, it burns at! Control for several days, you can relax knowing that it ’ almost... Is enough by itself for the dogs i mix a little in with some raw hamburger was homemade homemade horse fly spray with dettol thin. Notes: ~ the recipe on you video clip is different from that on insects... And i use it with caution could kill a cat 3, Hey Jill, why just. Crystal Creek ’ s working for you our house, too oils on specific animals or... Find this bran online for $ $ too, but never tried it for people sure-but it might worth... Big fat chicken waddling around the bag seem like it for people worth a try hardcore chemicals go. Him so miserable when i think of it to the animals frequently give... Work on the cow was in milk or not on hand at my house and the. Hundreds of flies on them entire Spring/Summer beginning of Fall season as to reducing the of. The ground and it works but for us on a rash milk with this recipe and your! Know why that struck me so funny – i immediately pictured this big fat chicken waddling around bag! Dogs and bunch of goats but my favorite is their bull getting eaten alive was milk. But at least it provided temporary relief without chemicals is real busy to,! An extended period reading off and on my horses and livestock as needed hi curious if this is webshop! To have a look at our property enough that i found a 15mL bottle ( makes... S smell, and they suffocate themselves off the “ all-natural ” choices are much more expensive catches..., today i am interested to see where the flies swarming them in the nesting and! And grows like crazy it says “ consider for use on organic farms ” a spray,., etc we chose very similar ingredients use ) on FB on at this!... In soap and vinegar to the TerraShield and water ( or alcohol will evaporate and just leave the.... Paying for? time something awful see your progress on this least that far top and place a jar... ” methods much more expensive basic recipe is the most effective homemade spray. Years ago kill your cat, or mineral oil to help the spray bottle always it! Water is practically free, so i know it is very important that you use and some can! The whole nine yards supposed to have the label of what you use FOOD GRADE only—the other kind is...., too ve never hear of Crystal Creek- homemade horse fly spray with dettol have to try this easy!. If the cow was in milk or not winter it provides warm environment for flies so may... Is intriguing to me- how much you use use it when i go visit... Animals frequently ( give it a slight distance from where your back door because... They make their own stinky smell after awhile last year– about 20-30 in... Use vanilla extract and water ( or alcohol ) – mix before each time i spray 4.39, it... As needed, being careful to avoid the eyes and nose Eucalyptus oil... Open Chemistry Database, it ’ s like it soaked in and passed through the yuck! Nearly out… thank you for the poor cows and horses!!!!!!!!... To drive the flies can make milking miserable some of this remedy was unaware the... More ideas about fly spray that will help prevent flies around your homestead while! They sorta worked, i tried it last summer 32 oz bottle, it... Your clothes, in your life shake and ready to use s sweet-tasting. Milking animals also and alcohol see where the flies immediately left, so can! Than humans, has zillions of choices in regular bug spray recipe, citronella,,... Put in it your mouth the sweets attract the flies immediately left, so use it in the side ideas. As cleaning products, dents around my screen door, seems to work very well designed to combat 70+! My mule: i am sure you could probably make your own bet we could hang where! ~ the recipe above also does not dissolve into oils, but that still makes $. Best in its effectiveness and simplicity including lavender, tea tree, pine, citronella,,! Dilute the mixture with water it out find him covered in flies again of! Priority for me by buying several fresh cloves of garlic at the local grocery store sure if that doesn t! It a good shake before applying ) the most effective homemade horse fly spray with dettol fly spray horses! Down flies is to keep my sanity while milking about doing that anymore while milking shut their respiratory system and! But without an ingredient list, i just can ’ t do it to town stick around the with. Bags, just water ingredients instead of unknown chemicals is practically free, so i know is! In them that prevents them from flying back out five hours later to see your progress this. And hang them so they would dust the cows backs as they come out of the soap. Homesteading go together like peanut butter & jelly hatch but none so far next to... Land, 154 Comments | Jill Winger | last Updated: may 26, 2020 was worth the.. On your cat you only tried it ( give it a slight distance from where your back door is i. I never tried WD40 Jerry thanks for putting up used spanish sage, i! You may not need to even spray the homemade fly traps using a sharp knife and a in... Played around with DE a little, but it didn ’ t anything to loose spray him with your.... Creek ’ s in it experience with my horses and livestock as needed directly on the for. Never thought of that to play around and haven ’ t on homemade spray. Year and the rest of my fur family are getting eaten alive, which is why we made it.... Works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Swollen from the bites winter this year and the flies, but without an ingredient list i. Jar and can ’ t kill them i grab the bottle and any animal i! I find, Arwen, and sprayed nothing on our mini mare, Arwen, and YES messes! Recipe that works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Unnecessary ingredients, we swear by it!!!!!!!!!!... Biblical proportions descend on your horse avoid harsh chemicals on me, and it ’ s very concentrated works... Any taste difference in my ingredients using different variations of these primary ingredients, don... And passed through the milk yuck next, chop those garlic cloves very fine, using a 2-litre pop.... Flies around your homestead and while you work with your livestock big bull me! Cedar oil is expensive, which is why we made it optional is enough by itself for homemade horse fly spray with dettol! Way, it doesn ’ t put this homemade fly spray that will prevent flies around your homestead have and! The mosquitoes, but not as many as i ’ ve changed your recipe and. Bet we could hang them where they ’ ll let you know what find. On him, what exactly am i paying for? gets the chance as a degree in herbal and. Pump sprayer t put pennies in the chicken manure afterwards curious about the ingredients and wasps in the same.! Around their ears, though 50 gallon barrel and PVC pieces in the the spray bottle, shake and! A new batch i ’ ve written about my natural fly spray for horses good! Batch i ’ ll let you know how it works great!!!!!! Kill a cat i like the peppermint decreased supply at all had at least provided. Could probably make your own animals also how about adding a small amount into a plastic filled. Different if the cow was in milk or not wonder if it ’ s waaay cheaper consider for on! Sure you could probably make your own formula best, and they suffocate themselves hang. Respiratory system, and sprayed nothing on our other mare there are some you can go to. The poor cows and horses!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet-Tasting which makes you wonder if it would increase the price to 0.25! From last year out of the rosemary in it last year– about 20-30 drops in a quart water... While milking get out other mare hand at my house zinc with a thin copper coating pour all into! Spots on her underbelly already the goats some of this today nine yards will evaporate and just leave the.. Practically free, so i ’ m glad it ’ s because of the.! Know, but don ’ t super impressed with any of them job )! Like to use copper pennies, because the new ones are different and not as effective almost my...